FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: DHS Hurricane 3-50

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
al3ash8 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote al3ash8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: DHS Hurricane 3-50
    Posted: 03/28/2014 at 12:56pm
I just received my DHS Hurricane 3-50 today form tabletennis11.com they are best tt shop I did deal with
the topsheet is tacky and the sponge medium hard H37 and it's look like tenergy sponges!
you can see the pores in the sponge
i'll try it on my BH next week   

Sponsored Links

jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 1:05pm
Waiting impatient for a review

Looks like same Tinarc 3 sponge.... same colour as well as hardness...

Edited by jonyer1980 - 03/28/2014 at 1:18pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 1:29pm
Whoop! Nice pics.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 1:49pm
nice, looking forward to your impressions.  I have 3 on the way from tt11 but they're stuck in new york customs indefinitely as usual -__-
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 1:53pm
I did not realize h3-50 was designed for BH. Is it too soft for FH?
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by rick_ys_ho rick_ys_ho wrote:

I don't think it was designed exclusively for BH, but since it was revealed Xu Xin started using a h3 topsheet on some japanese sponge, a lot of people have started trying it.  i intend to use mine for FH when i receive them

Dynasty / H3 / H3
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 2:53pm
nice pics!!

mine are still on the way from estonia =(

i guess i'll add to the tally, i plan on using it for both forehand and backhand to replace tenergy-05 2.1mm

rationale - used to play with H3 on FH but had trouble mid-distance counter-looping rallies (would go into the net), so i switched to tenergy, but now that i've gotten more experience counter-looping with power from mid-distance, i'm more comfortable taking a full swing (necessary for chinese rubbers). so i'm going back to chinese rubbers to get that nice spinny brush loop back and super refined short game (my short game wasn't bad with tenergy, but wasn't as good as with chinese). 

my hope is that hurricane 3-50 will give me some nice power/speed from mid-distance while retaining the short game/serves and brush looping of chinese rubbers
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

Originally posted by rick_ys_ho rick_ys_ho wrote:

I don't think it was designed exclusively for BH, but since it was revealed Xu Xin started using a h3 topsheet on some japanese sponge, a lot of people have started trying it.  i intend to use mine for FH when i receive them

You will never be as good as XX then Smile.
Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 8:15pm
Can't wait to see the reviews here!!!
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2014 at 8:21pm
Thats okay, i'm a ma lin fanboy anyway ;)

Dynasty / H3 / H3
glanden.zheng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glanden.zheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2014 at 8:04am
Looks awesome!
Butterfly Viscaria FL

FH: Hurricane 3 Prov

BH: Tenergy 05
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2014 at 5:33pm
Got mine in the mail today, assembling it now and going to take it on a test run later this evening :)

Dynasty / H3 / H3
TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2014 at 5:41pm

Got mine in the mail today, assembling it now and going to take it on a test run later this evening :)

On your BH or FH?
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2014 at 5:42pm
mainly FH, but i'll twiddle it to give it a shot on my BH too

Dynasty / H3 / H3
TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2014 at 5:49pm

mainly FH, but i'll twiddle it to give it a shot on my BH too

Could you make a video with like you did with your C-Pen blade?

That was great and I'd love to see it with the H3-50.
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2014 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by TonyL TonyL wrote:

Could you make a video with like you did with your C-Pen blade?

That was great and I'd love to see it with the H3-50.

Sure thing :)

Dynasty / H3 / H3
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2014 at 7:34pm
H3-50 First impressions (UNBOOSTED):

Bounce:  Feels soft, softer than neo bordering mushy.  Bounce is higher than h3 neo unboosted.

Tackiness:  Reasonably tacky, could stick the ball to the topsheet for about 2 seconds.  Had to increase my swing speed on serves because the soft sponge and tackiness cling to the ball more than I'm used to which caused a few errors for me.

Counterhitting:  A bit slow, but naturally spinnier than the other versions of h3.  The 37deg sponge really eats the ball even on flat hits and makes a bit of spin.

Opening loop:  Very easy, although slow.  I had difficulty generating any real power, but the spin was huge.

Loop drive:  Lacks power, but very easy to get the ball on the table.  The sponge has almost no spring to it although it is very porous and elastic.  The sound the rubber makes is more of a pop rather than the characteristic snap of chinese rubber - sounds kind of like tenergy.  It has a medium-high throw.

Push:  Very easy to generate spin and keep controlled.

Block:  Powerless and inconsistent.  H3-50 really hurts for speed here, but I think that is something that can be solved by boosting it.  I will be taking off my rubber already to boost it because this makes it near unplayable for me on a 5-ply wood blade.

Smashing:  Didn't do to much of this, but flat hitting with any power in any of its form seems unstable, including punch blocking, smashes, fast flat serves, etc.

I feel like this rubber is begging to be boosted as it already has HUGE spin potential, but it really lacks any sort of real power.  Maybe it would be better suited to a fast carbon blade unboosted?  I will post more thoughts later tonight.

Edited by schen - 03/29/2014 at 7:34pm

Dynasty / H3 / H3
TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2014 at 7:39pm

Bounce:  Feels soft, softer than neo bordering mushy.  Bounce is higher than h3 neo unboosted.

Tackiness:  Reasonably tacky, could stick the ball to the topsheet for about 2 seconds.  Had to increase my swing speed on serves because the soft sponge and tackiness cling to the ball more than I'm used to which caused a few errors for me.

Counterhitting:  A bit slow, but naturally spinnier than the other versions of h3.  The 37deg sponge really eats the ball even on flat hits and makes a bit of spin.

Opening loop:  Very easy, although slow.  I had difficulty generating any real power, but the spin was huge.

Loop drive:  Lacks power, but very easy to get the ball on the table.  The sponge has almost no spring to it although it is very porous and elastic.  The sound the rubber makes is more of a pop rather than the characteristic snap of chinese rubber - sounds kind of like tenergy.  It has a medium-high throw.

Block:  Powerless and inconsistent.  H3-50 really hurts for speed here, but I think that is something that can be solved by boosting it.  I will be taking off my rubber already to boost it because this makes it near unplayable for me on a 5-ply wood blade.

Smashing:  Didn't do to much of this, but flat hitting with any power in any of its form seems unstable, including punch blocking, smashes, fast flat serves, etc.

I feel like this rubber is begging to be boosted as it already has HUGE spin potential, but it really lacks any sort of real power.  Maybe it would be better suited to a fast carbon blade unboosted?  I will post more thoughts later tonight.

If you're going to boost it, what booster do you use and how many layers do you put on it.

tianhai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tianhai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2014 at 7:44pm

Are you using it on FH or BH?
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2014 at 8:16pm
I used it on my fh, i can tell something this slow would not be good for my BH. It may be a different story when its boosted though. Typically i start with 3-4 layers of seamoon and trial and error from there

Dynasty / H3 / H3
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2014 at 8:56pm
Isn't DHS G666 suppose to be very tacky with a very soft sponge and a little on the slow side?

Sounds like you're describing the same rubber.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2014 at 9:36pm
if it's 66 grams at 2.0mm then the max version is very heavy
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2014 at 9:39pm
Steven thanks so much for the review!  My sheets are also stuck in NY customs but should have them this week.  will also post my impressions.  It's been a while but I remember Tin Arc livening up quite a bit after a few sessions so you might want to hold off on tuning until it shows itself, or maybe try one less layer than usual or something?  Just a thought.  

suds I haven't tried G666 but I know the sponge on this is a lot livelier than the older DHS sponges.  37 degree in the #50 sponge is a little softer than the regular neo sponge but still on the firmer side overall.

I'm happy that "slow" is the overall impression in a lot of the categories - with unboosted H3 that is also true, so I hope this rubber isn't radically different.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2014 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Isn't DHS G666 suppose to be very tacky with a very soft sponge and a little on the slow side?

Sounds like you're describing the same rubber.
Maybe it should be called Hurricane 666 Wink
nikk64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikk64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2014 at 3:41am

Interesting study, Schen! Your description, a suitable blade will YEO 7 Power-harder, faster and more directly.

Edited by nikk64 - 03/30/2014 at 3:43am
Butterfly Boll Tricarbon off , FH- Armstrong Attack 8 PZC-SP EX-X- 4.0 , RPB-Butterfly Tenergy 80-FX- max
video-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0vx5
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2014 at 3:52am
Like any new sheet of H3, the topsheet needs to be broken in for a few sessions before it livens up. It's just too tacky and stiff when fresh out of the packet.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2014 at 2:04pm
I played with it a little more last night and it didn't seemed to change much in its behavior.  It is very stable with controlled attacks and the spin is in no way lacking, but not being able to block confidently as a penholder with TBH and RPB is kind of frustrating.  

I may be just too accustomed to playing with the harder 41deg sponge - I already find 39deg neo a bit on the soft side but this 37deg #50 sponge is drastically different from what I'm used to and my confidence in attacking is suffering for it.  I've never tried tin arc.

I added 3 layers of seamoon overnight and am gluing my rubber again now.  The way the #50 sponge absorbs booster reminds me a lot of tenergy.  There is some noticeable doming, but no where near the scrolling of the classic non-neo DHS sponges with the same amount of booster.  I'm going to give it a try boosted in a couple hours and post again Approve

With one layer of finzeip on the sponge, gluing to my blade with 2 on the blade 1 on the sponge.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2014 at 3:57pm
I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger and buy some right away. I was hoping it would have the regular Tinarc sponge, not the tinarc 3 sponge. 

Honestly though the way I see it, if you have to boost the rubber then you might as well stick to regular H3. 
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2014 at 4:16pm
I am also glad I have ordered only two of them.
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2014 at 9:19pm
EDIT EDIT EDIT:  Please read on to page two of this thread to see my updated opinions and verdict about H3-50.

Ok now having played with the H3-50 boosted with 3 layers of seamoon, I am definitely switching to it from H3 blue sponge provincial 41deg (abbreviated H3BS for this post).  I haven't been this excited in a long time about an equipment change.

I have never played with speed glue, but the boosted H3-50 must be what it feels like, and it certainly sounds like it and plays like it.  One unique characteristic about H3-50 with booster is that it seems to be an EXCELLENT countering rubber (more explanation in the details below).  It is about average in generating power - although it is by no means slow after boosting it - but it is the best rubber I have ever used for manipulating or redirecting an opponent's power.

H3-50 Boosted Initial Impressions (FOREHAND):

Sound:  The first thing I realized when I started using it is that it is the loudest rubber I have ever used, and there is a very prominent click when the sponge is engaged.  I cannot emphasize how amazing the sound H3-50 makes is enough.  Big smile

Feel/Short Game:  Very snappy, the dwell and catapult were incredibly obvious in every stroke.  Comparable to Tenergy or Spin Art, but much crisper.  H3-50 became rather bouncy after the boosting and it took some adjusting in terms of touch for serves/pushes, but it's by no means unmanageable.  It is far more controllable than any of the Tenergy series in my opinion.

Flat-Hitting/Drives/Smashes:  H3-50 may actually suit quick-attack hitters equally as well as loopers.  I found it was one of the easiest rubbers I have ever used when it comes to flat hitting after it's been boosted... a complete 180 from how it performs without booster.  I was also able to execute effective TBH smashes which I've never been able to do in the past with any consistency.  Flipping the ball from the FH side aggressively was much easier than with the H3BS.  The sound it makes is just beautiful.

Opening loops:  Still spinny as always with a bit of added pace, although not quite as punishing as the H3BS.  The players I practiced with immediately noticed how much more the ball seems to kick on my loops, although the initial speed seems slower than my h3 blue sponge.  The arc with H3-50 is slightly higher than the H3BS, probably due to H3-50's softer sponge.

Loop drives:  Very consistent and more forgiving than the H3BS, especially at lower speeds.  H3-50 has a faster low/medium gear speed than the H3 blue sponge, but it doesn't have as much top-gear speed as the H3BS.  But, at my level I won't be (or shouldn't be) tapping into 100% power very often anyway, so H3-50 better suits my game/ability at the moment.

Counterlooping at the table:  I feel that this may be the strongest feature of the H3-50.  It feels like the sponge eats the ball even at slower swing speeds and spits it back out with a vengeance off the bounce with excellent control and a loud click.  H3-50 is again much more forgiving than the H3BS in this stroke, and yet possibly more effective too.

Blocks/Punches:  My previous complaint about H3-50 unboosted is reversed with booster... blocking is now one of the rubber's strong points.  Passive blocking allowed me to take off a lot of pace from the opponent's attack and to drop the ball short, but with a punch the ball would rocket off my blade with impressive control (and sound once again).  It also seems that the ball had a sharper/shorter trajectory with the H3-50 as opposed to the floaty/straight trajectory of the H3BS.

Chops/Chop-blocks:  Occasionally I chop from my FH side if I am out of position or late to get to a ball, and I did not have any problems with placement or loading enough spin onto the ball with H3-50.  I actually could feel the ball much better with H3-50 than any previous rubber I've used for chopping, including the tenergy series.  Chop-blocks with traditional penhold backhand were well controlled and seem a bit spinner than with the H3BS.

-----

I also briefly tried it on my BH (rpb) after it was boosted and it was far spinner than Tenergy 64 when it comes to looping and flipping the ball.  However, I had a lot of difficulty punching and blocking from my rpb side with H3-50, so I've decided to just stick with T64 on my BH as usual.  It may work better for very aggressive players who do more looping than blocking with their BH (a la Xu Xin?).

Please let me know if I've missed anything, I will happily share my thoughts.  Cool

Edited by schen - 04/03/2014 at 6:02pm

Dynasty / H3 / H3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic