Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Advice please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Johnny.d.p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny.d.p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice please
    Posted: 04/06/2014 at 5:40am
Hi forum members,

I would like to have your opinions on my playing and advice for future improvement.
My background:
I don't do any training or coaching apart from a pointer here and there (from a teacher who is also a player) when I play in school lunch break. I play for about 3 times a week, each session being 30 minutes long. I don't currently play in pennants or local competitions.

In the video there are free hits and games. I played as a substitute for one night at the local club. I am aware that my footwork was poor and I didn't put myself 100% into the game. I often play poorly in games, I think very much and the game doesn't come naturally to me. I am the one in bright blue.

Thanks!

Edited by Johnny.d.p - 12/07/2016 at 11:41pm
BTY Viscaria FL 88g | DHS H3 BS 2.1 41 x DianChi | BTY Tenergy 64
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2014 at 10:01am
Your BH opener won a surprising amount of points, so did your BH push. You will with time learn to step and move into position better, same with all the other aspects of your current game. You seem to step backwards after making a BH opener, maybe a balance thing or you expect a long return, one ought to stay close to table after such an opener ready to step around.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
ByeByeAbout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2014 at 11:09am
hi jdp

my advice is to keep doing those serves... your whole service stance/motion is impeccable (A++)

go down the line a bit more though to keep the receiver honest...

regards
rick
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 12:22am
Pros:
Nice serves, especially the reverse pendulum serve.

Cons:
Put the weight on the balls of your feet. Stay closer to the table until your stroke and footwork can handle it. Move more to the right when you do forehand counterhit. You're stretching your arm out to reach the ball, and you lose control. Fix your backhand counterhit. Hit, not brush. Cut down on the motion and use less force. Keep it compact and the consistency will come naturally.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
channyboi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channyboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 6:14am
Is this Dandenong?

Try to rotate your waist more, your arm is carrying your waist when you play, should be the other way round. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 6:53am
Work on your forehand.  The stroke is currently too large and you take the ball too late.  It is part of the reason why struggle to stay close to the table and you mistime so many balls.  Do counterhitting on both sides.

Someone with your movement should not be playing so much backhand! Never thought I would say that, but it is true.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/09/2014 at 6:56am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Johnny.d.p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny.d.p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 9:10am
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. Channyboi, yes, this was recorded at Dandenong.
BTY Viscaria FL 88g | DHS H3 BS 2.1 41 x DianChi | BTY Tenergy 64
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 9:14am
FH
Need more torso rotation both for the back swing and forward motion into the ball. Right now you executing the stroke using mostly your shoulder muscles. The stroke should primarily be controlled with torso rotations and small weight shifts. 

BH
Over use of the wrist snap for power, need more push from the legs and torso.

Imo the main problem is inconsistant ball timing. Seems as if you are either too early, ball goes into the net, or too late, ball goes out. Try to have your torso rotation and back swing set by the time the ball is bouncing on your side of the table. I think this goes for your FH and BH. Part of the problem may be that you are not fixating on the right areas visually. You need to see the other players paddle contact the ball then track the ball to the contact zone. Try not to track your own shot just return your attention to the other player.
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic