Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Poly Ball - Pros and Cons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 8:49am

Ovtcharov: "I think table tennis will change with the new ball. There is less rotation so the ralleys may become more attracktve! It will be exciting to find out how table tennis develops..!"

He cannot be serious here.. I strongly suspect that he just thinks that lesser spin will better suit his personal play-style and make him stronger..

Btw. if they want to make the sport "more attractive" they should mark the ball with some distinctive stripes or something, so the spin would be visible to spectators and they could actually see and appreciate whats going on here - this would also reduce effectiveness of serves, so you can have your "more rallies" as well this way. But that would require that they actually make use of these modern camera devices (and possibly spend some hard earned money for qualified operators) instead of their default bird eye stationary view (where I myself after 20 years of pingpong have problems of recognizing some nuances), so they chose to just kill the sport instead. 

Sponsored Links

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Krantz Krantz wrote:

Btw. if they want to make the sport "more attractive" they should mark the ball with some distinctive stripes or something, so the spin would be visible to spectators and they could actually see and appreciate whats going on here - this would also reduce effectiveness of serves, so you can have your "more rallies" as well this way. But that would require that they actually make use of these modern camera devices (and possibly spend some hard earned money for qualified operators) instead of their default bird eye stationary view (where I myself after 20 years of pingpong have problems of recognizing some nuances), so they chose to just kill the sport instead. 

I think that's an excellent idea!Clap

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 10:22am
Just like back in the Old ABA Basketball days.
Shifter
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 10:31am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

The spin will be visible to the players too. Is that what you want?
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 10:41am

Ovtcharov: "I think table tennis will change with the new ball. There is less rotation so the ralleys may become more attracktve! It will be exciting to find out how table tennis develops..!"

He cannot be serious here.. I strongly suspect that he just thinks that lesser spin will better suit his personal play-style and make him stronger..

he is a big guy, he is happy that most points will now be decided at mid distance and by the bh loop. Kreanga style.

I also predict Jean Michel Saive will become world #1 at 60 years :)
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 11:20am

Maybe he got some Adam S./ITTF $ for that comment?

seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 11:27am

Btw. if they want to make the sport "more attractive" they should mark the ball with some distinctive stripes or something, so the spin would be visible to spectators

from that distance?

changing topic, I think the tv should show matches from the side...
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

I think that deception is great in poker, but i wouldn't complain if TT became more a sport of reflexes and speed instead of cunning and power (with slowed down equipment and bigger ball requiring more physical effort for same result). 

The latter reminds me that ITTF seems to secretly envy the success of big tennis and with the way they make TV transmissions and change rules they want to make them more alike - maybe just get rid of this stupid and non-photogenic "table" part altogether and make us play on just a bit smaller then regular indoor courts? (no, this proposition isn't serious Tongue)

Edited by Krantz - 04/14/2014 at 12:40pm
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

With today's tech, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to design something that would show up on video, but not be visible to the players.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 2:54pm
The new ball is fine
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 5:39pm
VARYING BALLS, VARYING JOYS...

No two PBs play alike.
There is a dozen of different Thermoplastic materials to form balls with different feeling and ballistics..

I have got but scarce pleasure with Palio, for the stif, stony feeling. So is XSF.

Hopefully Nittaku is just the thing to give me really mild-soft feeling and good ball control, which I desire that much.

Come in, my darling, I am all ready...
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

VARYING BALLS, VARYING JOYS...

No two PBs play alike.
There is a dozen of different Thermoplastic materials to form balls with different feeling and ballistics..

I have got but scarce pleasure with Palio, for the stif, stony feeling. So is XSF.

Hopefully Nittaku is just the thing to give me really mild-soft feeling and good ball control, which I desire that much.

Come in, my darling, I am all ready...

OMG Igor for God's sake please don't have everything translated by Google...Lord I am dying here ROFLMAO!

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by 1dennistt 1dennistt wrote:

With today's tech, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to design something that would show up on video, but not be visible to the players.

Even better, I agree! Thumbs Up
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 10:49pm
Do you guys think we will be able to train with cellulite balls and only use poly balls for matches...?

If not there's going to be a lot of replacing cellulite with poly in training buckets, bags and robots. Wow!

Edited by CraneStyle - 04/16/2014 at 10:49pm
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Fidelio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fidelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

Do you guys think we will be able to train with cellulite balls... 

Cellulite balls...now there's an unpleasant image! LOL
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 2:19am
Cellulite wrinkles are also.

If the new balls break every 15 minutes, you have to be a millioner to play TT.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 3:51am
Originally posted by Fidelio Fidelio wrote:

Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

Do you guys think we will be able to train with cellulite balls... 

Cellulite balls...now there's an unpleasant image! LOL

I've got to agree...

Where's the proof reader when you need them?

Auto-complete has a built-in comedic feature...

Edited by CraneStyle - 04/17/2014 at 3:52am
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2014 at 4:16pm
Can any of the Chinese speaking members please let me/us know if anything new and interesting about the upcoming poly-balls is revealed in this video, please.... pretty please? Big smile

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2014 at 4:52pm
XUSHAOFA has now captured many marketplaces all over Europa.
You can get the XSF 40+ ITTF APPROVED from germany, spain, france, russia, poland
2 dozens =20 Euro.

User's feedback is mostly very favourable. The ball durability and tangibility proved to be MOST pleasant above all the earlier expectation.

Shown below is XSF 6 pcs pack *** designed for distributing all over europian market, Excellent quality ball.   

https://m.facebook.com/xsfxushaofa/albums/1435948623330314/?refid=13
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2014 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Can any of the Chinese speaking members please let me/us know if anything new and interesting about the upcoming poly-balls is revealed in this video, please.... pretty please? Big smile

Not much. Mostly rehash. The first part discusses the disadvantages of the celluloid ball in manufacturing, storage and transportation. The second part takes us to the national training center for some feedback of the cellulose diacetate ball. Yan Sen says the spin and speed take a hit due to the larger size and new material. The trajectory is less erratic as well. The first batch they got was prone to breaking and that the new batch is much better. He then commented that Wu Wang whose game centers around spinny chops may get more affected than others. Overall, the new ball requires better physical conditioning. Those who are explosive will have a better time. Some in the second string team say that turns into an advantage to them. Liu Fengde, on the other hand, says that even though the new ball slows down more in the air, the effect is minimal on the offensive style, except maybe some strengthening in the form, stroke size, and physical strength is needed to adapt.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2014 at 7:36am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Not much. Mostly rehash. The first part discusses the disadvantages of the celluloid ball in manufacturing, storage and transportation. The second part takes us to the national training center for some feedback of the cellulose diacetate ball. Yan Sen says the spin and speed take a hit due to the larger size and new material. The trajectory is less erratic as well. The first batch they got was prone to breaking and that the new batch is much better. He then commented that Wu Wang whose game centers around spinny chops may get more affected than others. Overall, the new ball requires better physical conditioning. Those who are explosive will have a better time. Some in the second string team say that turns into an advantage to them. Liu Fengde, on the other hand, says that even though the new ball slows down more in the air, the effect is minimal on the offensive style, except maybe some strengthening in the form, stroke size, and physical strength is needed to adapt.

As always, thanks for the helpfulness and great info, Zeio. Thumbs Up

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2014 at 8:10am
So, I will use more than usual my Barna /ox/1.5mm chop rubber in the future! Thumbs Up
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2014 at 10:04am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

XUSHAOFA has now captured many marketplaces all over Europa.
You can get the XSF 40+ ITTF APPROVED from germany, spain, france, russia, poland
2 dozens =20 Euro.

User's feedback is mostly very favourable. The ball durability and tangibility proved to be MOST pleasant above all the earlier expectation.

Shown below is XSF 6 pcs pack *** designed for distributing all over europian market, Excellent quality ball.   

https://m.facebook.com/xsfxushaofa/albums/1435948623330314/?refid=13

I don't know where you got that from, but I've heard the complete opposite. Most people much prefer the seamed balls as they are much closer to the celluloid balls. The only reason people have been buying the XUSHAOFA balls is because they were the first ones available. There appears to be a great push for the seamed balls, and that's the way DHS and DF (the major manufacturers) are going.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2014 at 11:22am
I have XSF at my hand. I like it.

The DHS seamed balls are now reported to be unduly cracky because of the unstable seam conjunction.
   Still, everyone is free to make his own choice, and to use the ball he think the best.
I do not like cracky ball, just money waster.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2014 at 11:44am
I think it s the opposite.

See the report from Athletes Commission at Tokyo WTTC

4. Plastic Balls with Seam Test
Players gave mostly positive comments; still, the difference between plastic balls with seam
and without seam is huge. It is important to make sure that ITTF tournaments are played
only with a top quality balls, and to decide in advance which balls (with or without seam) will
be used in ITTF tournaments. So far, the balls with seam have received much better
reviews than the balls without seam - better quality, more similar to the celluloid balls.

Vladimir Samsonov
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic