Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palio Aeolus: new tensor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2015 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Yeah, Jim - did you ever get the 45deg version?

If I have to guess, it's probably still stuck at the custom Smile.

How did you know? That is exactly where it is right now - in some sort of shipping bureaucracy limbo. Cannot even track it...

OMFG !!!!

Your post made me go and double-check at USPS website. It's HERE!!!! Out for Delivery - so it should be waiting for me when I get back home tonight. Yeah!

It says now

March 9, 2015 , 9:03 pm

Arrived at USPS Facility

JAMAICA, NY 11430 

and then March 10-11-12 moving to Massachusetts etc...

But this info was not there even yesterday morning when I ran the same check! Effing snail mail...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 8:02am
Any updates on the lesser-spotted 45 degree Aeolus?  Jim - would it be easier for you to fly out to Jamaica and pick it up in person?  Tongue
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 1:24pm
Oh, I received it quite a while ago and played with it already.

It is certainly better - in my opinion, for me, that is -  than 47 version.

First of all, it is lighter - about 45 g cut - which is immediately a huge plus for me.

Then it is a bit softer and I can use it on both sides with better control in placement.

Still a high throw, so I would rather play it on BH, I think.

I have put it on BH of my BBC Tachyon and it plays quite well there. It is not out-of-this-world kind of rubber but it is comparable with T-80 on the general quality of play, so there.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 2:21pm
Yay! Thanks for that. I'm going to track a sheet down.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 1:43pm
Jim, how would you say the spin compares between 45 and 47.5 degree?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2015 at 2:47pm
Aeolus 45 is a bit softer, I could see that - so the spin is a little better, sensitivity is about the same. I liked it more than 47 because 47 version was really not convenient for me on BH, harder than I am used to, so less controllable in short game and placement.

K581 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2015 at 8:09pm
Hi, I'm quite curious about this rubber - how does it compare to Blitz if anyone's tried both for their respective hardnesses?
YEO Pro (red lens)
FH: TG2 Skyline NEO (41°) MAX
BH: Fastarc S-1           MAX

Waldner Senso Carbon (J0 Shape, solid handle)
FH: Palio Hadou Biotech CHN 39° MAX
BH: ?
Ben-Jammin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben-Jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2015 at 1:52pm
blitz plays softer than Aeolus. in hardness blitz 47 is more similar to Aeolus 45. Compared to M2, Rasant, Rasant Turbo, I find Aeolus to be much spinnier. Compared to m2, it has a higher arc and i find my forehand loops to have much more bight off the table. When playing against my usual partner who typically uses Rasant forehand i have a much harder time returning his loops, although his blocks and drives are slower. Compared to my Thor's, it is easier to use and more controlled, but does not have as high a spin potential on loops. In the short game it performs well enough, not too bouncy but nothing outstanding.
TBS FL, T05, T64
Viscaria FL, H3N, T64

carbon136 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2015 at 2:29pm
Can you post some photos of this rubber?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben-Jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2015 at 2:37pm
I will try tonight after rugby practice
TBS FL, T05, T64
Viscaria FL, H3N, T64

eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2015 at 3:04pm
Is there another source for this besides ttnpp?
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 10:51am
Originally posted by eonblue eonblue wrote:

Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
KleinesDickesAilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KleinesDickesAilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 11:26am
Is Aeolus sold in 2.00mm anywhere?
Kugelblitz
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Originally posted by eonblue eonblue wrote:

Thanks, I saw that but can't find the English button and don't know if they ship to the USA.
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 3:52pm
Here's the page about delivery: http://www.spinfactory.de/lieferung/ . Use Google translate.

Send them e-mail regarding shipping costs. You will find the e-mail address in the sentence at the bottom of the page. I believe they will be able to ship to the USA.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2015 at 5:46pm
So I've been using Aeolus 45 degrees for the past few months now. In a nutshell I strongly dislike this rubber. It's too hard for my backhand and too soft for my forehand. Speed is very high but spin is medium at best. It's very bouncy, very unforgiving. Pushes are either too high or too long. Blocking is difficult. Spin on serves is nothing special and the bounciness makes it difficult to keep short. The lack of relative grip means there is very little dwell time and the ball slips a lot. What spin was there degrades rather quickly. To me, literally the only positive about this rubber is that correctly hit fast attacks are very fast. Though with all of the negatives I can think of many other rubbers to take its place. I'd say steer clear of this rubber and use your money towards something else.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2015 at 6:33pm
if Thors and Aeolus had a baby; that would end a lot of ej careers.
sounds like Greek mythology hahaha

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2015 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

if Thors and Aeolus had a baby; that would end a lot of ej careers.
sounds like Greek mythology hahaha

Well Thor is from Norse mythology and Aeolus from Greek mythology. Though in terms of rubber quality, Thor's is a much better rubber. They are very different rubbers but Aeolus just fails in all regards in comparison. From What I remember Blitz is also better but I haven't touched that in a while.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben-Jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2015 at 7:10pm
I think Aeolus is good as long as you don't brush loop, it definitely requires a more euro style forehand. I preferred the 47 degree version over the 45 
TBS FL, T05, T64
Viscaria FL, H3N, T64

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2015 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

So I've been using Aeolus 45 degrees for the past few months now. In a nutshell I strongly dislike this rubber. It's too hard for my backhand and too soft for my forehand. Speed is very high but spin is medium at best. It's very bouncy, very unforgiving. Pushes are either too high or too long. Blocking is difficult. Spin on serves is nothing special and the bounciness makes it difficult to keep short. The lack of relative grip means there is very little dwell time and the ball slips a lot. What spin was there degrades rather quickly. To me, literally the only positive about this rubber is that correctly hit fast attacks are very fast. Though with all of the negatives I can think of many other rubbers to take its place. I'd say steer clear of this rubber and use your money towards something else.

In almost every department entirely different from my take on this. Sorry - it must be one of those cases. I have to say that I know four people already (my level or higher) who tried it in the last 6 months - literally all of these four are still using it.

I have it on two of my four regular blades. Still using it, still liking it. Played entire JOOLA Teams with it on my BH, and it was a really good tournament for me (that is, until I ripped my underarm muscle or tendon or whatever in my last match on Saturday).

Not sure about how long it will last - mostly because I am constantly switching between my paddles. So far it holds up OK.

Never seen a 2.0mm version of it. If anyone sees it somewhere - let me know, I would like to try it too.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2015 at 12:58am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

In almost every department entirely different from my take on this. Sorry - it must be one of those cases. I have to say that I know four people already (my level or higher) who tried it in the last 6 months - literally all of these four are still using it.

I have it on two of my four regular blades. Still using it, still liking it. Played entire JOOLA Teams with it on my BH, and it was a really good tournament for me (that is, until I ripped my underarm muscle or tendon or whatever in my last match on Saturday).

Not sure about how long it will last - mostly because I am constantly switching between my paddles. So far it holds up OK.

Never seen a 2.0mm version of it. If anyone sees it somewhere - let me know, I would like to try it too.

And that's fine. Some things are subjective but I just wanted to give out my opinion. To be fair, I would twiddle it with my Omega 5 Asia (an even harder sponge than the 47 degree Aeolus) and found that I can use it much better on my backhand than Aeolus, even though OVA is also too hard for my backhand. So Aeolus just isn't a good fit for me.

That being said, what isn't subjective is that this rubber isn't at the top end of spin production, even relative to other Eurojap rubbers. Xiom Omega 5 series, Tibhar MXP and MXS, and Tenergy 05 and even 64 still have some more spin. Not that Aeolus is spinless but it makes me think of a higher throw Bryce. I am also not a fan of Bryce but still recognize it can be used by others very well.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2015 at 10:29am

That being said, what isn't subjective is that this rubber isn't at the top end of spin production, even relative to other Eurojap rubbers. Xiom Omega 5 series, Tibhar MXP and MXS, and Tenergy 05 and even 64 still have some more spin. Not that Aeolus is spinless but it makes me think of a higher throw Bryce. I am also not a fan of Bryce but still recognize it can be used by others very well.

Again, absolutely contrary to my impressions. For the last year or longer I have played with Tenergy 80 and 05-FX and then other rubbers like Tibhar Aurus Soft, KTL RD Mechanical and some others. Aeolus is at minimum as good in spin as all of them; I would say better than most of them.

Are you certain you have Aeolus 45 and not 47.5?

Stoyo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2016 at 11:20am
I'm interested in trying Aeolus, any updates on the rubber? Compare with Blitz if you can.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2016 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Stoyo Stoyo wrote:

I'm interested in trying Aeolus, any updates on the rubber? Compare with Blitz if you can.

I still play with Aeolus 45 and a couple of my friends (at my level) are playing with it - they both like it a lot. I still maintain that it has very good spin and speed. The only department where it yields a bit to my other regular rubber, Tenergy 80, is the grab of the ball on brushing shots.

It has about the same longevity as Tenergy. For half the price I think this is certainly something to look at as an alternative to T-05 and T-80.

It is a little difficult to compare to Blitz because Blitz did not have 45 version. 42.5 was a tad softer and 47 was certainly a very nice rubber with similar topsheet but slightly harder sponge. I played with Blitz 47 for several months and I liked it as well but it has a little less control in placement shots and a bit more hardness that I would like, so for me Aeolus is a slightly better fit. And I think spin on Aeolus 45 is better, too.

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2016 at 12:20pm
Hi Jim,
Could you compare it to Yasaka Risinng Dragon, Yinhe Big Dipper, Sanwei Target National, if you have tried them?
Or other rubbers in the same class either price wise or performance wise?
Thanks!
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
Klopic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klopic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2016 at 12:32pm
Aeolus 47,5° is similar to Blitz 47,5° with little bit more spin and speed. Playing characteristics are similar. Great control, easy to play. Great rubber for this price.
Yinhe Big dipper is totaly different rubber. Compare with Aeolus it is much harder. Aeolus is Euro-Japan style, BD is chinese style - sticky, rock hard. In compare with DHS rubbers is much faster.
Aeolus is  IMHO much better than BD.
Klopic

Avalox Blue Thunder 550

F- Palio Aeolus Max

B- Palio Blit' z, 2,0 mm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2016 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Klopic Klopic wrote:

Aeolus 47,5° is similar to Blitz 47,5° with little bit more spin and speed. Playing characteristics are similar. Great control, easy to play. Great rubber for this price.
Yinhe Big dipper is totaly different rubber. Compare with Aeolus it is much harder. Aeolus is Euro-Japan style, BD is chinese style - sticky, rock hard. In compare with DHS rubbers is much faster.

Did not play BD or any of the rubbers mentioned in the previous post. My understanding is they are quite different. They are tacky or somewhat tacky rubbers with harder sponge - they usually require different technique.

Aeolus 47 felt a bit harder than Blitz 47, by the way. So I quickly sold it and bought 45. Not to mention, 45 is 2-3 grams lighter which for me is a big plus.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2016 at 2:04pm

Yeah, +1 and what Jim said.  Apples and oranges really.

I used Aeolus 45 for a brief time and the spin was good but the speed was huge.  One of the fastest ESN rubbers of recent years, which made getting the spin out of it more challenging than usual IMO.  Incredible value for money, if you're specifically after a FAST rubber.

Edited by AndySmith - 03/26/2016 at 2:36pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2016 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Yeah, +1 and what Jim said.  Apples and oranges really.

I used Aeolus 45 for a brief time and the spin was good but the speed was huge.  One of the fastest ESM rubbers of recent years, which made getting the spin out of it more challenging than usual IMO.  Incredible value for money, if you're specifically after a FAST rubber.

It is indeed more linear than T-05, for instance. It doesn't have that low speed muffling effect of Tenergy. There is still catapult on stronger shots - and there it is at least as fast as T-05, T-80.

I actually like both, but they do play somewhat differently in slower shots - both in speed and control.

I play Aeolus on relatively fast blade but with soft thick Hinoki outers and that certainly helps with control and lowers speed a little.

Andy is right - I would not recommend using Aeolus on fast carbon blades with harder outers - like Yinhe T-8 or TB ALC (Spirit) for instance.

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2016 at 11:46am
thanks!
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic