Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow motion Backhand Flip Demo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bbll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow motion Backhand Flip Demo
    Posted: 04/14/2014 at 1:39am
This is a demonstration by Hong Kong Division I table tennis player.
Flipping is very important in-side table technique in modern table tennis. A Step-by-Step break down tutorial in slow motion is provided.

Please also subscribe PPBALL youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ppball
More Tutorial video: http://www.pp-station.com/search/label/%E4%B9%92%E4%B9%93%E6%95%99%E5%AD%B8
Like our facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ppstation.hk

Sponsored Links

ByeByeAbout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 1:59am
hi bil

thanks for the video..

couple of observations....

1) thats not a flip...maybe something was lost in the translation but trust me...that's not even close to a "flip"....for a flip you would have to open your racket a bit more....but the player in the vid does not do that....he makes a beautiful shot mind you....but that's no flip...its more of a bh snap borderline kill..

2)   C- for your attempt at English.

regards
rick

Edited by ByeByeAbout - 04/14/2014 at 2:04am
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 2:08am
Originally posted by ByeByeAbout ByeByeAbout wrote:

hi bil

thanks for the video..

couple of observations....

1) thats not a flip...maybe something was lost in the translation but trust me...that's not even close to a "flip"....for a flip you would have to open your racket a bit more....but the player in the vid does not do that....he makes a beautiful shot mind you....but that's no flip.

2)   C- for your attempt at English.

regards
rick

it just makes me wonder whether you really are such a dick or whether you think you are so smart and clever by trolling? 

Not everyone here is a native speaker so you can shove your "C-" elsewhere.

Things you said makes me think you don't know the first thing about TT? This IS a BH flick. Granted, the backspin is not that heavy so there was no need for the more open angle. But nevertheless, it is a BH flick.
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 2:11am
That clearly looks like a flip to me.  The paddle is open at the point of contact.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 2:17am
Please, restrain from quibbles.

@bbll - your channel has been added to the official MyTT list of YT channels. Thank you for your contribution!
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 9:48am
Originally posted by vutiendat1337 vutiendat1337 wrote:

This IS a BH flick. Granted, the backspin is not that heavy so there was no need for the more open angle. But nevertheless, it is a BH flick.

Yup. And all the written instructions in the video are well done to emphasize all the important elements of a flip (they even refer to element of spin variance and racket angle).
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 10:17am
Nice - I think I saw the shifting of the thumb again ZJK style.

Maybe it's time I attempted the thumb shift for backhand shots too...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 10:43am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

That clearly looks like a flip to me.  The paddle is open at the point of contact.

mt

for it to be a true flip the paddle would have to be another 10-15 degrees open...and the ball would have to sit on the paddle for another 1/1000th of a second.   call it what you want though...he's got excellent technique regardless of what anyone may categorize it as.

regards
rick
Fidelio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fidelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 12:33pm
I think I see what ByeByeAbout/rick is saying about the flip - it's not a zjk/fzd style "banana" flip but rather a straight flip or flick, kind of like a forehand flick but done on the backhand side.  In the series of instructional videos done by Ma Long on youtube, this shot is listed as "backhand flip"  (watch at 26:21 in the video), whereas the banana flip is listed as "over-the-table backhand loop".  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddVkXRh1UeY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Fidelio Fidelio wrote:

I think I see what ByeByeAbout/rick is saying about the flip - it's not a zjk/fzd style "banana" flip but rather a straight flip or flick, kind of like a forehand flick but done on the backhand side.  In the series of instructional videos done by Ma Long on youtube, this shot is listed as "backhand flip"  (watch at 26:21 in the video), whereas the banana flip is listed as "over-the-table backhand loop".  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddVkXRh1UeY

hi fidelio

i'm simply being strict with the use of the word "flip".   At no point in the video does the player make any "flipping" motion.  It's all "flicking".    Like I said, this nuance would be lost in most translations....or the demonstration is a bit off the mark.  pick one

in the clip you provide ma does indeed open his paddle ever so slightly before contact so it is accurately described as a flip.

regards
rick
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 1:04pm

mt

for it to be a true flip the paddle would have to be another 10-15 degrees open...and the ball would have to sit on the paddle for another 1/1000th of a second.   call it what you want though...he's got excellent technique regardless of what anyone may categorize it as.

regards
rick

This is a joke right? You're messing with us right? Where's candid camera? We're quibbling over 10-15 degrees? Really?

It's a flip and yes, not everybody will do it exactly the same at the exact same angle. But it's a flip. You want to call it a flick. Fine. But we're losing the point of this thread.

This is yet another great video form this channel helping us all attack short serves better. Keep up the good work.

Edited by suds79 - 04/14/2014 at 1:06pm
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 1:23pm
Thanks for the post.

As service return is one of my weaknesses, it would be nice to get demonstrations/tutorials on how to adjust the stroke for different kinds of serves instead of just underspin.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

mt

regards
rick

This is a joke right? You're messing with us right? Where's candid camera? We're quibbling over 10-15 degrees? Really?

It's a flip and yes, not everybody will do it exactly the same at the exact same angle. But it's a flip. You want to call it a flick. Fine. But we're losing the point of this thread.

This is yet another great video form this channel helping us all attack short serves better. Keep up the good work.

no jk. Throw angle is discussed in degrees,why not everything else?? Rgrds

Edited by ByeByeAbout - 04/14/2014 at 2:07pm
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 2:21pm
In TT Coaching Wiki, there is no discrimination between flip and flick

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/coachwiki/17-flip-flick/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

In TT Coaching Wiki, there is no discrimination between flip and flick

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/coachwiki/17-flip-flick/

thanks for the link imago...i read the definition and it's not as comprehensive and it could be...since it makes no distinction between the two....  

table tennis is a game of nuances so it's not a waste of time to discuss the difference between a flick and a flip...and how best to perform each of these strokes... and when

jiang jialiang and i discussed the differences in detail and he remains to this day, imho, one of the best ph flipers/flickers to ever live....

i'm simply passing on the information that a two time world champ was kind enough to share with me..

regards
rick

Edited by ByeByeAbout - 04/14/2014 at 4:55pm
bbll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 9:37pm
ByeByeAbout: 
Thank you. Your observation is very good. The racket is not open up too much.  The reason is that the backpsin on the ball is weak. Thus, the player only open the racket a bit.
If the backspin is more heavy, the racket need to open up more to counter the backspin. BTW, we will try to improve our English.

I think the player is doing "flip" instead of "banana flick". I understand that there may be no difference of "flip" and "flick" in English. 

However, there are differences between the two techniques in Chinese. In short, for "Banana Flick", the power is mainly generate from wrist and brushing. For "flip", the power is mainly generated from the flipping action of the forearm.
I may shoot another video to describe two difference techniques later. :)

Imago:
Thank you for putting our channel in the MyTT list of YT channels. We still have another channel which post Chinese instruction. Both channels will provide English subtitle.
PPSTATIon CHINA youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ppstationchina
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 12:14am
A great slow/stop motion video. It really makes the action of the stroke very clear. You set a very high standard for video demonstrations.

I just showed the video to a Chinese professional (shakehands). She is of the opinion that the demonstrator is not using the wrist but only the forearm. 

She said he can do the flip to a higher level if he use the wrist too. The wrist offers more flexibility.

Only one person's opinion. Feel free to ignore.

Edited by sandiway - 04/15/2014 at 12:15am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 12:21am
Originally posted by bbll bbll wrote:

ByeByeAbout: 
Thank you. Your observation is very good.  BTW, we will try to improve our English.

and i will continue to work on my chinese....even if it is cantonese.

regards
rick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic