Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How to make your blade 10 gramms lighter?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to make your blade 10 gramms lighter?
    Posted: 04/16/2014 at 9:40am
Hi Everyone,

Could you suggest any safe method to reduce the weight of the blade itself, let's say 10 grams, please?
Drilling and sawing methods are welcome :-)
I have sandpapered the handle and lower part of the wings but I gained only a few grams minus. 
Thanx.

igszoctan
Fh: Rasant PowerGrip (2.1)
Blades: Appelgren Allplay
Bh: Rasant Powersponge(1.9)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66928&PID=807706󅌚
Strength and honour
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 9:41am
Size and name of the blade?
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 9:45am
See above.
Xiom Hayabusa Zxi

161X151 if I remember correctly...but I am not sure about that...I'll check it out later. Sorry.

igszoctan
Strength and honour
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 9:46am
Anyway the pure blade weighs more than 95 grams...It is supposed to be lighter.

Edited by igszoctan - 04/16/2014 at 9:47am
igszoctan
Strength and honour
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 10:09am
draw smaller head on blade. get sandpaper and start work, 20mins, you can even make it egg-shaped.
Or simply get two soft light rubbers.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 12:26pm
it may just be a matter of balance
if you want it to feel lighter dont reduce the handle. In fact a good experiment would be to glue a coin to the end of the handle to see if that will give the feeling you want
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 12:30pm
Wasn't there a thread here couple month back about baking blades in the oven to reduce weight?
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by igszoctan igszoctan wrote:

Hi Everyone,
I have sandpapered the handle and lower part of the wings but I gained only a few grams minus. 
Thanx.

I dont think you should sandpaper the handle. Handle weight to me is the "good weight", makes an otherwise headheavy racket more balanced, therefore reducing it's effective weight for wrist motion like service and the banana flick.

Also, I'm thinking about sanding it down too... but what shape?! I feel the "effective" shape will make my paddle asymmetrical and really strange looking lol.
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 1:17pm
How about you ask the vendor if they have a Hayabusa that is 10 grams lighter.  If they do, sell your current one to someone else, and use that money to buy a lighter Hayabusa.  That will solve all of your problems.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

How about you ask the vendor if they have a Hayabusa that is 10 grams lighter.  If they do, sell your current one to someone else, and use that money to buy a lighter Hayabusa.  That will solve all of your problems.

+1
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 1:24pm
I have a clipper, which I reshape to a smaller size, I think I save only about 3g.  However, since the face is smaller, the rubbers is also smaller, so the overall setup is lighter by about 8g.

Edited by mhnh007 - 04/17/2014 at 9:52am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 9:24am
Originally posted by DistantStar DistantStar wrote:

Originally posted by igszoctan igszoctan wrote:

Hi Everyone,
Thanx.

I dont think you should sandpaper the handle. Handle weight to me is the "good weight", makes an otherwise headheavy racket more balanced, therefore reducing it's effective weight for wrist motion like service and the banana flick.

Also, I'm thinking about sanding it down too... but what shape?! I feel the "effective" shape will make my paddle asymmetrical and really strange looking lol.

+10

I always seek HEAVY versions of whatever blade I like. Heavier the better. If I need to add weight to make it heavier and better, I add weight to the "GOOD" spot as DS describes. I slide off handle, and add some cut off nails or whatever I can find and glue it all back together.

One of my back-up ALL+ 896 blades is now 10-15 grams heavier and plays like a solid OFF blade with much better feel and balance, just what the doctor ordered. Weight moved up from weird 180 grams to a much nicer 197 grams... approaching what I like.

I don't worry about overall weight being that high. I worry about weight distribution, balance, and feel.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

Well, that seems to be obvious but you know I would rather do some DIY job and save some bucks.
igszoctan
Strength and honour
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 2:11pm
And in the process you'll loose the feel of Hayabusa. Then you will have to buy a new one anyway, but the old one won't sell. So the only solution left is to find lighter rubbers, or first change only P7. You can also trim the rubbers from the bottom side by 1 cm so that the total weight will be just 10 g less.
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 2:29pm
Good blades weigh between 100-110 g.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 2:47pm
Yes, for one rubber.
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

And in the process you'll loose the feel of Hayabusa. Then you will have to buy a new one anyway, but the old one won't sell. So the only solution left is to find lighter rubbers, or first change only P7. You can also trim the rubbers from the bottom side by 1 cm so that the total weight will be just 10 g less.

That's it. I am afraid of loosing the Hayabusha feel.
As a first step I have already chosen 1.8 mm rubbers and my whole setup is still over 195g.
The required weigh for me would be around or rather below 185g so as a second brave and promising attempt I feel inclined to trim bottom parts of the rubbers by 10 mms. We'll see. It should work, I presume.
Thank you Imago and thank you all for your helpful suggestions and ideas.
igszoctan
Strength and honour
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic