Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Sean O'Neill Exposed: As A Chopper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ByeByeAbout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sean O'Neill Exposed: As A Chopper
    Posted: 04/22/2014 at 11:10am

this is an old clip...wonder how spo's chopping game is coming along.    I'm working a lot of chops into my game these days...call it my retirement plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wu_AA7AO4M&feature=youtu.be

regards
rick

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0Wu_AA7AO4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by ByeByeAbout - 04/22/2014 at 11:33am
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 11:21am

Edited by ByeByeAbout - 04/22/2014 at 11:21am
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 12:04pm
I'm guessing a lot of guys on this forum don't even know who spo is.  He used to be the moderator at the about.com forum for several "glory" years of the forum.

He was a former champion of the US nationals right?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I'm guessing a lot of guys on this forum don't even know who spo is.  He used to be the moderator at the about.com forum for several "glory" years of the forum.

Five-time U.S. National Men's Singles Champion, 2-time U.S. Olympic team member. He was an all-out attacker with big forehand rip. He experimented with chopping (with long pips) many years after he mostly retired, but I don't think he chops anymore except as a coach. 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

interesting...i thought that everyone knows who sean is.   love his effortless fh...

regards
rick
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 12:17pm
Sean was an Olympic player in 1988.  He lives in or near Portland now,  I see him at the Portland tournaments but he doesn't play. Some of my practice partners have taken or are taking lessons from him.  My practice partners say I should take a few lessons from Sean.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Sean was an Olympic player in 1988.  He lives in or near Portland now,  I see him at the Portland tournaments but he doesn't play. Some of my practice partners have taken or are taking lessons from him.  My practice partners say I should take a few lessons from Sean.

spo's signature at About was "feet first then backswing"

regards
rick
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by ByeByeAbout ByeByeAbout wrote:

Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

spo's signature at About was "feet first then backswing"

regards
rick
You need to know where to move your feet before that.  I have come to realize that the better TT players read the body language of the other player to get a clue as to where they are going to hit the ball.

My practice partner tells me that Sean says there should be enough time to move in to position but that assumes a lot from regular people.

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 2:19am
Sean enjoys chopping when he's coaching his students.  I think he just finds it fun.  He usually uses a hardbat (a cheap one) for chopping.  In that video, it sure sounded like a hardbat there too.

He is a very good coach and a great asset to American table tennis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 2:36am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Sean enjoys chopping when he's coaching his students.  I think he just finds it fun.  He usually uses a hardbat (a cheap one) for chopping.  In that video, it sure sounded like a hardbat there too.

He is a very good coach and a great asset to American table tennis.

hi ben

there is no shortage of crybabies on these table tennis forums and sean certainly is not one of them.  champions tend not to get caught up in trivialities...

regards
rick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic