Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pondus' TT Sanctuary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2014 at 11:32pm
Awesome looking room Pondus!!!  I bet you spend a lot of time just sitting there, enjoying the view! Beer LOL
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Sponsored Links

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2014 at 11:34pm
I think our dear comrade fellow moths-lover, pondus, deserves to be CEO of Moth-Viscaria Club needs some kinda special counseling....urgently.
Some might ask whether he has "Life"....LOL
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2014 at 11:43pm
standing ClapClapClap

2 Questions: 
Where in the world is this sanctuary?
The blade collection - any particular types or just everything!

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2014 at 4:46am
Amazing collection! I suppose it is very hard to choose just one of them for favorite Big smile
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2014 at 12:35pm
I have noticed this thread yesterday, but I could not answer immediately, because I needed nearly one day, to recover me from this shock. In the first moment I thought I would be dead, because this must be the heaven. When I waked up this morning and felt my bones, I realized, that I am still alive. I am still quite nervous and studying the flight-plans, but at least I am able to reply, what I feel:

Pondus, you are incredible.
What an amazing place !!! 
Smile Big smile Clap Thumbs Up 
I envy you.

If I had such a room, I would not need any more holiday-trip. Just sitting there with a cup of coffee (or a bottle of bear) and looking around satisfied. But what a pity: our house is too small for such a room, and my collection is quite small, compared with yours. 
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2014 at 2:40pm
blitzen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blitzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2014 at 2:51pm
When I saw this, I immediately thought of Imelda Marcos and her shoe collection.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2014 at 4:34pm
You guys are funny! And trust me, I know it's pretty ridiculous myself.
I appreciate all the nice comments - thank you very much.

I see quite a few questions have popped up, so I'll try to answer them in order:

Reinecke asked: How long have you been working on your collection?

Answer: Believe it or not, but I didn't start collecting blades until the spring of 2012. I had been entirely gone from table tennis for many years, and as I was getting back into it, I started looking around to see if I could find a Stiga Offensive Wood / Kjell Johansson because I remember thinking that was the coolest blade as a kid, but my parents unfortunately thought it was too expensive to buy for me. When I managed to acquire such a blade, then, well, one thing let to another…. and many many many blades later, here I am.

Ray asked: And your favourite blade is?

Answer: Hmmm… that’s a difficult question to answer. There are a couple that are probably the most special to me, but not because of how they play. More so because of what they represent from my time growing up as a kid playing TT. The Stiga Offensive Wood (Kjell Johansson) as mentioned above is certainly one of them. Another blade is Butterfly Jaques Secretin, as this was my first “real” blade as a kid. I also have soft spot for Banda blades, as I remember Waldner as a young wunder-kid from the other side of the border, and seeing him with all his Banda gear made me want to have Banda stuff too. There was a small Banda shop in the city I grew up in (long gone, of course), and I still remember the first time I entered that shop. I probably had a feeling similar to that of most 6-year girls when they enter Disney World for the first time.

Slevin asked: Where did you buy Gerflor in the US & how much does it cost for an area enough for 1 table play?

Answer: I bought the Gerflor directly from Gerflor USA (here’s a link to what I got: http://www.gerflorusa.com/commercial-flooring/product-page/taraflex-tennis-table,102.html). Very nice and helpful people. The red Gerflor was about $3K and additional cost for installation (pretty crazy the way they put it in with gluing and welding the seams). The rest of this entire area actually also has Gerflor, just in a light gray color instead of red, so I don't know how much installation for just the playing area would cost. Below the Gerflor flooring is solid concrete and a layer of some sort of padding.

Fatt asked: Is that a wine cellar, a stereo system or a blade dehumidifier?

Answer: LOL - yes, it’s a custom built blade dehumidifier!!! Ha, no, it’s just a regular small fridge with a glass door. I like to keep some cold drinks ready for when I do have time to sweat a little.

Fatt asked: Is there a way we can visit and have tt practice time in exchange for a good bottle?

Answer: Of course. Anytime. Well, assuming I’m home, of course. And perhaps I would also need a bit of clarification on what you mean by “we”. And no good bottle required. Smile

Timo1978 asked: Do you have a "Special" insurance for your sanctuary?

Answer: That’s a good question, Sir. As there is quite a bit of value there, it is listed as a uniquely specified section on our home-owner’s insurance. So, I guess the answer is 'yes’.

Suds79 asked: How does the conversation go with your wife when you want to buy another blade?

Answer: LOL - yeah, I think all blade collectors and EJs know how horribly their significant others can react when they get yet another piece of seemingly unnecessary TT equipment. Honestly, I think my wife has just given up hope for me at this point. I don’t even tell her - and she doesn’t ask.

JimT Asked: What is the footage of that basement?

Answer: It’s not actually the basement of our house, per say. It’s a separate buildout the original owner of the house had done for a wood-shop and storage of a boat in the winter, I believe. When we bought the house it was all just one big room. All concrete - ceiling, walls, and floor, with no windows. We then had it outfitted with separating walls to create individual rooms, and a furnace/AC unit so control the air in there. This actually makes it pretty good for storing TT blades, as I can easily control the temperature and humidity level (since there are no windows). So now there is the playing area, the wall with all the blades and such, the TT work-shop, and a third workout room that has various exercise machines and a big flatscreen TV to run TT flicks on. The total size of this place is 1000 Square Feet.

JimT asked: Do you plan to hold USATT-rated tournaments there in the nearest future?

Answer: Hahaha. No, but funny you should ask though. I did actually at one point think about creating my own private USATT-affiliated club there, but in looking into the requirement for new clubs I quickly realized (and understandably so) that one of top priorities for new clubs is to be open to any and all new members and put a lot of focus on attracting them. Obviously, that’s not really what I would want at my house, so I decided against that idea.

Pushdeep asked: What's your rating?

Answer: Not that high anymore. Well, I guess everything is relative. I think I have a USATT rating of 2140 or so right now (I'd have to look it up to be 100% sure exactly what it is). Having taken many years “off” from the game (about 20 years) and having gotten older and sadly gained a lot of weight, I’m just not anywhere as good as I used to be. Also, as I mentioned in my opening post, I have two very young daughters that take up pretty much the majority of my spare time - which I don't have that much of to begin with, as I have a fairly demanding work situation. I get to play once a week, perhaps twice once in a blue moon, but I also frequently will go several weeks without playing at all. And when I play, I usually just play a couple of matches at a local club, so I never practice (haven’t done that in over 20 years). I used to be a Cadet and Junior National Team member though, with a rating somewhere around 2500, I would guess. (I didn't grow up in the US, so I didn't have a USATT rating back then).

Jrscatman asked: Where in the world is this sanctuary?

Answer: Not sure I should throw my address out there, but if you want to swing by just send me a PM. Smile

Jrscatman asked: The blade collection - any particular types or just everything?

Answer: I'm sort of an an “emotional collector” when it comes to blades, so I get blades that either hold some sort of sentimental value for me (i.e. blades I remember from growing up playing in the 80s and 90s), or blades that I just find visually interesting. I don't really collect so much as it relates to specific value, so I don't have many blades from the 60s and before that, for example). All my blades are Shakehand blades, and the majority have straight or conic handles, but I obviously (as you can see) have some of everything handle-wise.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

Edited by Pondus - 05/05/2014 at 10:13am
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2014 at 4:40pm
what kind job do i need to score in order to build this kick ass collection and pingpong shangri-la LOL
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2014 at 5:03pm
Did you design this your self, or did you have some input from some one else ? The attention to detail is out standing.
Shifter
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2014 at 5:04pm
Thanks for answering the questions. In terms of location I was thinking in terms of USA - West Coast, MidWest etc - nothing specific.

Another question: What would you like to improve on the current setup. I would think maybe higher ceiling. Anything else you would do to make it better. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2014 at 5:20pm
What do you do for a living that can make you afford this sanctuary, and can I join?

What'd I do for one of those blades, let alone that many.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2014 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by TonyL TonyL wrote:

What do you do for a living that can make you afford this sanctuary, and can I join?

What'd I do for one of those blades, let alone that many.

When you receive the answer...just count me in too Big smile
Rene's collection is a dream....
He is the real sample that sometimes somewhere someone makes his own dreams to come true Clap
jabemu View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabemu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2014 at 6:42pm
I have been 3 times in the USA for working and seen the interesting tipical places: Manhatan, Niagara Falls, Statue of Liberty, etc. 
Next time I would like to visit a more important place...the sanctuary of Pondus LOL

Two questions:

-Are you repaired personally some blades?, I see a little workshop in the pics of the sanctuary.

-Do you know why your favourite blade (stiga off johansson tranas black lenses) have a "2" in the handle?

emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2014 at 11:06pm
tastefully done!  Rene fall is approaching soon!
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2014 at 11:29pm
My heart is racing!

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 1:06am
For comparison here I thought I had something special but for now on I'll just call it "Eonblue's TT Slum". Cost me around $500. Just flooded too. What you have here is amazing, similar to a dream I had before it was crushed by reality.
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 6:59am
Originally posted by vutiendat1337 vutiendat1337 wrote:

what kind job do i need to score in order to build this kick ass collection and pingpong shangri-la LOL

Hahahaha... LOLLOLLOL

Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 7:01am
Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

...fall is approaching soon!

I know Confused

TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Originally posted by vutiendat1337 vutiendat1337 wrote:

Hahahaha... LOLLOLLOL

LOL

Serious question. 

What are you going to do with all, if not most of your collection when you grow older?

Will it be an inheritance to your children, or will you retire and open up a table tennis shop?
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 7:17am
Having to see Pondus, I think all other collectors are nothing!!
This is only 2 years of "collection".....imagine 10 years, or 20 years....

lol Pondus, if I can squeeze in USA in my NA visit, I defiantly must come and visit this POI :)
Well done buddy, and congrats for having such a wonderful understanding wife :)
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 7:59am
Pondus, what did you feed your wife with in order for her to agree with all this? Big smile or you bought her lots of expensive stuff too hehe
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 8:06am
Is this one of the wonders of the world?

Your collection is.... AWESOME!
Took me awhile to digest. Haha

sonykurniawan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonykurniawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 8:49am
Very inspiring indeed. Pondus, you are freaking awesome.
patrick753 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick753 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 1:35pm
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
It is too crazy. I admire your passion for table tennis hobby.

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 1:35pm
Question:     Do the super cool furry stools have memory foam under the covering?

If not....then you have just one single flaw in your Pong DoJo buddy!  Wink

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 1:00am
Ok i hope it does not sound jealous or negative in any way and here is my question: mmmhhh...
forget about it i won't be a party pooper.
shaibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 1:22am
Ok - I'm going to be a party pooper. Pondus, you've said that you only have time to play ~once a week. On the other hand - you've bought ~500 blades in 2 years - so your buying rate is ~5 blades/week. Doesn't quite compute, does it? It would take you 10 years just to play one session with each one of the blades you already own. This just seems totally silly to me.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 1:40am
Hey i was only trying to be funny

Let's not forget he probably plays with the same blade at the club and maybe only tests the collectible on the robot.

Let's keep in mind a collector does not necessarily act rationally...it's a passion.

emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 2:53am
well something is wrong... i saw it twice and now i found myself looking at the collection the 3rd time
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic