FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Types of Spin and serve returns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Types of Spin and serve returns
    Posted: 05/01/2014 at 9:47pm
Seems like an easy question but I think its more complicated than it sounds.
I was reading Larry's book and it said there are 27 different combinations !! 
Can you name them all? If not larry can you help?

What I want to understand is types of spin that can be imparted during serves, what to look for when receiving serves as in hints that show what kind of spin it has and how to effectively receive serves and where is the best area to place individual serves on the table? 
Text, pictures, videos anything goes if possible try and add an analysis in this format so we have a good reference: 

Type of Spin : Underspin
Hint: Racket moves under the ball at point of contact mostly at mid to distal part of the rubber
Effect: Ball starts rotating back on its axis and has backspin after the ball hits on the opponents side
Return: If short Underspin, Drop it back short preferably cross court by contacting @ 6'0 clock on the ball
            If Long Loop it back by contacting at 2-3 O'clock preferably in the last 1/3rd of the table.

Here's a video that I liked a lot maybe it will help others as much as it did me

Edited by viva - 05/01/2014 at 10:02pm
Sponsored Links

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 11:56pm
sounds like a great idea and good luck, my mind couldn't handle the the real options including long , short, off the side lines and directional serves + the 27 spins + other persons ability and third ball serve combo's + anti, long, short pips, old rubber, inverted spinny, chinese rubber, lefty players. pen hold , seemiller,  no toss, hidey serves+ toss back and other tricks lol
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 12:14am
I think the way larry talked about in his book was just spin variations and not distances but i could be wrong.I hope he sees this thread and replies Smile
Hope the post gets some traction so we have a good database of knowledge Hug
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 5:44am
You have 3 spin axes right? (Top/under, side, corkscrew). Each serve can have components of all 3. Hence, total number of combos is 3^3 = 27 no matter what names you give them.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 7:19am
I never see anyone serve with corkscrewspin.   Does anybody actually use that spin?  I know people who are fishing or defending will swipe sideways under the ball, but I haven't seen it on serve (at least at my lowly 1500 level). 

If you can leave out corkscrew then there are only nine variations to contend with.  Straight under, top, and no-spin, and left or right side, side-top, and side-under.  Unfortunately that is still eight combinations too many for me to process in the instant that is available to a receiver.   

viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 7:31am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

You have 3 spin axes right? (Top/under, side, corkscrew). Each serve can have components of all 3. Hence, total number of combos is 3^3 = 27 no matter what names you give them.

do not forget dead balls or no spin serves !
 what exactly is corkscrew can you explain?
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 7:34am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

I never see anyone serve with corkscrewspin.   Does anybody actually use that spin?  I know people who are fishing or defending will swipe sideways under the ball, but I haven't seen it on serve (at least at my lowly 1500 level). 

If you can leave out corkscrew then there are only nine variations to contend with.  Straight under, top, and no-spin, and left or right side, side-top, and side-under.  Unfortunately that is still eight combinations too many for me to process in the instant that is available to a receiver.   

thanks for explaining corkscrew can it be countercorkscrew as well?
what effect does it have on the paddle as in does the ball pop up or die down?

Are there certain racket angles or wrist movements you look for?
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 8:01am
It's not just about the spin direction, it's also about how much spin. This can be much more difficult issue than what direction the spin is going. Prime example is the underspin/no spin combination. Technically there is underspin on the "no spin" serve just allot less. However the motion is nearly identical so you have to get the amount of spin right to get a good return. If you guess wrong and you pop it up, you thought there was more underspin than there was and that's a classic setup for third ball attack. If you guess that there is less underspin than there is it goes into the net. 

Imo Ma Lin was so good at serving in part because he got really good at hiding how much spin was on his serve.
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 8:59am
Originally posted by viva viva wrote:

thanks for explaining corkscrew can it be countercorkscrew as well?
what effect does it have on the paddle as in does the ball pop up or die down?

Are there certain racket angles or wrist movements you look for?

I use corkscrew serves and they are effective. The reason they are effective, if done right, is the ball jumps laterally across the table(right to left from receivers perspective) and this makes it difficult determine where/when to contact the ball. Another reason is that most receivers think that the ball has side spin when it actually has more of a topspin component so they tend hit it off the table. The serve is really effective if you can place into the decision point of the receiver. I actually get a fair amount of whiffs with some players because they line up on the ball with the expectation that the ball is going to be at a certain place after the bounce, then it jumps to their left as they swing and miss the ball all together. 

Here is the serve- He calls it a side back serve. Notice all the ball go off the left side of the table and not the end line. 

Edited by V-Griper - 05/02/2014 at 9:00am
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 9:00am

My training partner at club have this serve.

What you described in your example of fishing is an extreme example of corkscrew. The serve version is different form that.

If you have balls marked so that you can see the spin of serve (see picture. done with tape & a sharpie pen), you'll probably find that on your regular pendulum side/back serve, depending on how much you contact the under side of the ball and swing towards you body (stomach area), you can get corkscrew. I find it's an easy spin to create on accident honestly. I discovered this serve of mine on accident. It wasn't until I marked my service balls that I found I will sometimes do this on my pendulum serve. Having the balls marked is so helpful to see exactly what happens on all of them.

You don't want to use this serve too often because it can be killed relatively easy. Particularly after the two bounces it can tend to be corkscrew with a pinch of top on it. 

But it is nice as a change up every now and then. Because it looks similar to your side/back pendulum serve and because you actually put so little forward momentum in the swing (remember you swing towards your body) the ball is often a short serve. Sometimes this will fool the opponent into thinking it's a short backspin ball. If they try to push it, chances are it'll pop up high and you can put that one away.

Edited by suds79 - 05/02/2014 at 9:03am
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 9:13am
I've got no idea what corkscrew spin is.

I am only aware of backspin, topspin, no-spin, backspin-sidespin x2 (spinning to either side), and topspin-sidespin x2 (again spinning to either side). That makes 7. 

I guess you could add 'pure sidespin x2' but I sort of lump sidespin in the same boat as sidespin-topspin - certainly from a practical perspective. 

Edited by DDreamer - 05/02/2014 at 9:15am
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 9:20am
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

It's in this video at the :41 second mark.... also the :53 second mark.

Corkscrew could go in either way. I don't think they have designated names for the two directions of corkscrew that I know of. Nonetheless, that's corkscrew.

Edited by suds79 - 05/02/2014 at 9:22am
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 9:25am

I am only aware of backspin, topspin, no-spin, backspin-sidespin x2 (spinning to either side), and topspin-sidespin x2 (again spinning to either side). That makes 7. 

It can be called this but you come more under the ball going right to left and slightly up the left side of the ball. That puts a top spin component on the ball  but the spin is aimed towards the right side of the table(servers perspective). Basically if you see your serve jump more to the side after the second bounce then that's it. The next step is to try to get it to jump more. 
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 9:48am
It maybe a type of serve but corkscrew is not a type of spin.
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 9:56am

It maybe a type of serve but corkscrew is not a type of spin.

What would you call that then when the ball is spinning in that manner? It's different from sidespin.

It makes sense to give it a name. People largely refer to that as corkscrew. 

IMO it's a type of spin.

Edited by suds79 - 05/02/2014 at 9:57am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 10:11am

DDreamer,

Usually, topspin and backspin are considered to occur in the direction of travel of the ball.  sidespin and corkscrewspin are generally not - the ball is travelling forwards but spinning on the vertical axes.  It's actually the spin most commonly used on the wiggly but some people classify it as a kind of sidespin or sidetop.

I think in it's pure theoretical form, it is unique.  Sidespin by itself doesn't call a ball to jump on the table - corkscrew spin does.  But since most people mix up both, it ends up being just another form of sidespin to most people.  But a hooking loop usually has more corkscrew than side.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 10:37am
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

I use corkscrew serves and they are effective. The reason they are effective, if done right, is the ball jumps laterally across the table(right to left from receivers perspective) and this makes it difficult determine where/when to contact the ball. Another reason is that most receivers think that the ball has side spin when it actually has more of a topspin component so they tend hit it off the table. The serve is really effective if you can place into the decision point of the receiver. I actually get a fair amount of whiffs with some players because they line up on the ball with the expectation that the ball is going to be at a certain place after the bounce, then it jumps to their left as they swing and miss the ball all together. 

Here is the serve- He calls it a side back serve. Notice all the ball go off the left side of the table and not the end line. 

Those are some good serves.  I wish I could keep them consistently short like that.  But to me those are just plain old side-under and side-top serves.  When I think of a corkscrew serve I think of something different, i.e. a serve that seems to change direction in an odd way.  I have seen Xu Xin use this type of serve, and I've played around with it a bit myself as a forehand serve.  What I do is start the serve motion with the top of the paddle higher than the handle and then do a sort of quick twisting motion such that I follow through on the serve with a normal pendulum motion where the top of the paddle is below the handle.  The effect is that the serve looks like an underspin or nospin serve, but if done properly the ball will take an odd jump sideways when it bounces on the opponent's side of the table.

Edited by geardaddy - 05/02/2014 at 10:37am
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 10:45am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

DDreamer,

Usually, topspin and backspin are considered to occur in the direction of travel of the ball.  sidespin and corkscrewspin are generally not - the ball is travelling forwards but spinning on the vertical axes.  It's actually the spin most commonly used on the wiggly but some people classify it as a kind of sidespin or sidetop.

I think in it's pure theoretical form, it is unique.  Sidespin by itself doesn't call a ball to jump on the table - corkscrew spin does.  But since most people mix up both, it ends up being just another form of sidespin to most people.  But a hooking loop usually has more corkscrew than side.
There is no such thing as corkscrew spin! There is a corkscrew serve that has X trajectory but it doesnt have its own spin. Similarly some backspin serves continue on whilst some come back (a ghost serve for eg) but they are both backspin. There is no such thing as ghost-spin.

Edited by DDreamer - 05/02/2014 at 10:46am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 10:50am
DDreamer,

What is the spin on a ball that is travelling towards you but spinning around that axis through the ball facing you (the spin is not in the direction the ball is travelling)?

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 10:57am

DDreamer,

What is the spin on a ball that is travelling towards you but spinning around that axis through the ball facing you (the spin is not in the direction the ball is travelling)?

I too would like to her what he calls this then since it apparently does not exist.
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 10:58am

DDreamer,

There is no such thing as corkscrew spin! There is a corkscrew serve that has X trajectory but it doesnt have its own spin. Similarly some backspin serves continue on whilst some come back (a ghost serve for eg) but they are both backspin. There is no such thing as ghost-spin.

Actually, maybe there is such a thing.  Think of it this way...

Underspin - ball is spinning on horizontal axis that is parallel to the end of the table, and rotation direction is going back towards server.
Topspin - ball is spinning on horizontal axis that is parallel to the end of the table, and rotation direction is going away from server.
Sidespin - ball is spinning on a vertical axis and rotation direction is going either left or right.
Corkscrew spin - ball is spinning on a horizontal axis that is *perpendicular* to the end of the table, and rotation direction is either left or right.

So, that fits the serve I described earlier, i.e. the server pushes the ball toward the other side of the table but the spin on the ball is rotating sideways on a horizontal axis relative to the server as much as possible.
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 11:06am
Trajectory is not spin! The ball either has side-back or side-top. 
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 11:13am

We're not talking about trajectory. We're talking about the way the ball is spinning.

You cannot watch the killerspin video posted above and dispute that the ball is spinning differently in the sidespin vs corkscrew. They each have their own flight paths, reaction off the bounce of the table and reaction off the opponents paddle.

Lastly, whether you want to admit corkscrew is a spin or not really doesn't matter. It's just terminology. There's a large portion of players who use the term. So if someone says that serve or that lob had corkscrew on it, we all know what he means. By that measure, it is good to be familiar with what it is and how it reacts IMO.

geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 11:17am

Not saying that.  I'm only talking about the axis of rotation and the direction of the spin.

I'm sure you've experienced (or maybe executed yourself) a lob return where some spin is put on the ball that causes it to jump sideways to the left or right.  Well, that's corkscrew spin, where the axis of spin is closer to horizontal, but the direction of spin is going left or right.  This is opposed to sidespin where the axis is vertical.

I think it's possible to execute a serve that has this sort of spin as well.
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 11:25am
The 2 balls in the clip from .50-.55: The first was sidespin whilst the second was sidespin-top. 
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 11:32am

The 2 balls in the clip from .50-.55: The first was sidespin whilst the second was sidespin-top. 

In that clip the spin shown at .41 and .53 is exactly what I'm calling corkscrew spin.  I don't think of that as sidespin.
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 11:38am
Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

In that clip the spin shown at .41 and .53 is exactly what I'm calling corkscrew spin.  I don't think of that as sidespin.
But it is sidespin. 
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 11:39am
Originally posted by viva viva wrote:

I think the way larry talked about in his book was just spin variations and not distances but i could be wrong.I hope he sees this thread and replies Smile
Hope the post gets some traction so we have a good database of knowledge Hug

A tricky theoretical thing about spin is that the ball's axis changes when it bounces on the table, and so the spin changes. For example, a pure sidespin serve changes to a sidespin-corkscrewspin serve - that's why it breaks so much more on the second bounce than the first. And of course the bounces on the table add topspin (or decrease backspin). I considered writing about this in the article above, but decided it would leave too many people with glazed eyes, and was more theoretical than practical. 

At the moment I don't have a lot of time to discuss this - see second segment in my blog this morning (May 2). However, I will continue to browse this thread. 

-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 11:46am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

That is correct! But it's been pointed out that while you can have 27 types of spin when serving in theory, in practice some of them are impossible to actually do as it would be impossible to spin the ball in certain directions and still get the ball to move forward. For example, in practice you can't really do a pure corkscrewspin as to do would mean there would be no forward motion of your racket. So a corkscrewspin is always combined with some other spin. (When I serve corkscrewspin, I consciously decide between combining it with sidespin, backspin, or topspin. I can demonstrate in person.) I think I'll blog about the various types of spin next week. 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 11:46am
A corkscrew serve may change spin after it hits the table but after it changes it still either has side-side or top-back. 

Edited by DDreamer - 05/02/2014 at 11:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic