Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fast Backhand Loop (Close-to-table) Tutorial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
bbll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fast Backhand Loop (Close-to-table) Tutorial
    Posted: 07/03/2014 at 7:15am
The former China national youth team player - coach Yang Guang demonstrates the fast close-to-table backand loop.
Fast close-to-table backand loop is the famous skills of Zhang Jike and Timo Boll. 
Yang Guang shows how you can practice this skills effectively.

Edited by bbll - 07/03/2014 at 7:19am
Sponsored Links

racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 1:55pm
Thanks for sharing.
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 2:20pm
This is the worst music I have ever heard. Dead

A couple of questions:

First off he says transfer weight from left to right. This seems completely wrong. Everything I have ever learned about backhand loop says transfer weight right to left, same as FH. This is how you efficiently transfer weight and power from your legs through your body to your shoulder and arm. Same as when throwing a punch. A jab is similar to a BH, and you transfer weight right to left.

Check out Yang Guang's weight transfer at around 2:45+. When it is in slow motion you can see that his right foot leaves the ground just after contact with the ball. This means he is transfering right to left not left to right as stated.

Second, anybody else get wrist pain after doing too many of these? Maybe I over exaggerate the wrist motion. I also find that if I bring my paddle further to the left on my opposite hip, I don't have to use as much wrist and I get lots of power. However I feel this is less controlled  and may be improper form. 
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 2:44pm
My 2 cents. The majority of the acceleration looks like is achieved with the forearm and wrist.

For a RH player, a R to L weight transfer for a more aggressive BH loop away from the table makes no sense to me, because it is going against the torso rotation which is going L to R.

If you're RH and you have an orthodox stance, a left jab thrown with weight transfer from R to L makes sense because it is going in the direction of the strike, not against it. Therefore, I don't think it's the right comparison for the RH BH loop in this case.

You need to power your BH more with your forearm when close to the table if you're wrist is getting sore, which is a sign of overuse. When away from the table and you have time, it's perfectly acceptable to start the swing with the paddle past the hip as you describe. You can also twist your torso more when "loading up." That allows you to use more shoulder and torso rotation to power your swing.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 2:53pm
I think he does go R to L when hitting on the straight as opposed to on the diagonal. There's also a shot where the ball is a bit too far to his left and he had to shift towards his left to compensate.
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 3:28pm
L-R is correct for this shot. R-L transfer would be for the take back then L-R for going into the ball. Movement is relatively small because it's more over the table. It could also be more even from both legs while leaning forward slightly, more like a control block with small arm extension. R-L transfer would be for very active punch block or counter hit with the BH like FZD would do.

Edited by V-Griper - 07/04/2014 at 10:09am
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 7:15pm
Looks exactly like my Chinese coach teaches!! 
Edmundtt View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmundtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 9:50pm
Right to Left whe hitting the ball seems to make more sense. But in this aggressive active motion, do u guys think which is a priority to learn for an intermediate player
This technique or the backhand banana flick? n
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 11:59pm
R - L is what my coach mentions about weigh transfer for (RH - fast back hand loop at the table) however L - R seems more natural especially close to the table and on 3rd ball after a flick -  like the method 2 of practice. 

Edited by right2niru - 07/04/2014 at 12:00am
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2014 at 12:26am
Think, if one is right handed, prepares for a BH shot by rotating trunk even a little counterclockwise, it is natural for one to rotate clockwise (weight transfer L to R) in order to perform a BH shot. Weight transfer L to R for a righty is the way to go is one is in position already. If one has rotated counter clockwise in prep for a BH shot, yet starts the weight transfer with the right foot, your balance and timing will be ruined, it will force you to your left. There may be a time where you want this, like when you need to move left to get to the ball and you have to impact the ball while moving (no time to plant left foot to push off with it to start the stroke)

The FH on the fly is a lot more dynamic going to FH side pushing off with left leg. A lot easier to hit on move mid air, land, then push off with right foot to get back into some kind of position. Much more difficult to do that moving on BH wing, possible, but much more difficult to do with power and consistency.

Also if one is stepping forward even a little, it makes enough momentum to hit a hard BH without much of a backswing. You do this in a BH flick or over the table BH quick kill. It is the wide base (stability) and using legs/waist that engages the large muscle groups (power/control) that make the shot tick with effective timing. 

Edited by BH-Man - 07/04/2014 at 12:27am
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2014 at 1:01am
Things should look more clear in this vid.

Edited by V-Griper - 07/04/2014 at 1:02am
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2014 at 2:26am
This is the primary backhand stroke that I use for close-to-table play. I can tell you, it is very effective.

As a right-handed player, I transfer weight from the left to right for a backhand shot. And the opposite for the forehand shot (right to left). Weight transfer follows your torso or hip rotation.

PS. Both videos are great.

Edited by hithithit - 07/04/2014 at 2:27am
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2014 at 11:27am
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

Wrong stroke, this thread is about the fast backhand loop (close to the table). 

If you like Ma Long, in this video, the stroke is in slow-mo after the opening backhand loop. 

some in full speed

Edited by kenneyy88 - 07/04/2014 at 11:29am
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2014 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

Wrong stroke, this thread is about the fast backhand loop (close to the table). 

If you like Ma Long, in this video, the stroke is in slow-mo after the opening backhand loop. 

some in full speed

To me it's basically the same stroke just bigger scale and off the table. 

The main reason I chose that as an example is the weight shifts and torso rotations are clearer. It is much more obvious that the arm/shoulder coming forward and to the left is a preparatory movement. However even when it's done big the movement from L-R is pretty small and has a larger vertical component to it. The stroke we are discussing is much smaller in scale and allot of the motion is also in the vertical plane as well. 

In the ML vids you reference there is much more vertical movement than horizontal movement. Notice how far he bends forward on the first shot, then opens up at the hip pulling his arm up into ball contact. Also in the ML vid you can see at one point he pushes off with his left leg towards the back and right which is moves his CG over his right leg. 

Here is ZJK-
 On both the flip and the short top spin. On the first shot he pushes off with his left leg which then moves his CG/weight over his right leg, then opens up with a slight vertical/forward motion into the ball. On the second shot he just closes and opens slightly at the hip. As far as I can tell there is no shift going on from R-L until he hits his FH. 

DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2014 at 8:49pm
backhand loop versus underspin is different from backhand loop versus topspin, sidespin or light underspin is different. we should treat the kind of stroke based on the kind of ball being hit in order to avoid confusion.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Jangsz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jangsz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2014 at 8:56pm
Why is the music from this channel so horrible all the time haha.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2014 at 8:57pm
BH vs underspin is WAY different and there are a few ways to hit that shot too.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2014 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

There are many ways to hit all the shots.  It's all a matter of how dedicated you are and how far you want to go.   I find that while it is important to learn to hit the ball very well one way, there are times you need to learn other ways and incorporate the pluses (and sometimes minuses) of other ways into your shot selection.

Richard McAfee in his "Table Tennis: Steps to Success" and other articles prior to this book makes clear what is common to most techniques - he focuses on three things : where to contact the ball (top, bottom, back, side etc.), when to contact the ball (rise, top of the bounce, fall) and how to contact the ball (friction or force) - the rest of the stuff about footwork etc. tends to be important for generating quality racket head speed but is apart from the stroke.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2014 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Jangsz Jangsz wrote:

Why is the music from this channel so horrible all the time haha.

I like the "horrible" music they use...
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2014 at 10:00pm
I have never, ever as far as I can remember used R-L weight transfer on a backhand shot.  AFAIK, weight transfer should always follow the direction of the shot if you want to add power.  The most powerful backhand would be with the right foot in front off the left foot for a right hander.    To save time, most people do not go this far.  There is some coiling for power from R to L to prepare on the backswing is is not different from people turning and coiling from L to R on the forehand before unloading.  However, weight transfer can help the power on the backhand, but there is a lot of power in the wrist and the arm for the backhand so it is not critical unless you are at a very high level.

Edited by NextLevel - 07/04/2014 at 10:01pm
Cybershape Carbon
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2014 at 3:34am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

There are many ways to hit all the shots.  It's all a matter of how dedicated you are and how far you want to go.   I find that while it is important to learn to hit the ball very well one way, there are times you need to learn other ways and incorporate the pluses (and sometimes minuses) of other ways into your shot selection.

Richard McAfee in his "Table Tennis: Steps to Success" and other articles prior to this book makes clear what is common to most techniques - he focuses on three things : where to contact the ball (top, bottom, back, side etc.), when to contact the ball (rise, top of the bounce, fall) and how to contact the ball (friction or force) - the rest of the stuff about footwork etc. tends to be important for generating quality racket head speed but is apart from the stroke.

richard trained me as an ittf course conductor. he teaches specific strokes on specific kinds of incoming balls. a loop vs underspin and a loop vs topspin are 2 different things. it doesn't mean that when you can hit a ball in different kinds of manner it is the same stroke. there has to be a distinction of strokes to avoid confusion hence the specific terms used like in the ittf coaching manual the word "loop" is not used that much instead it is the word "topspin" and further specified as topspin versus underspin, topspin versus topspin, etc.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2014 at 8:13am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

richard trained me as an ittf course conductor. he teaches specific strokes on specific kinds of incoming balls. a loop vs underspin and a loop vs topspin are 2 different things. it doesn't mean that when you can hit a ball in different kinds of manner it is the same stroke. there has to be a distinction of strokes to avoid confusion hence the specific terms used like in the ittf coaching manual the word "loop" is not used that much instead it is the word "topspin" and further specified as topspin versus underspin, topspin versus topspin, etc.

I don't think what you have written has anything to do with what I said.  What I said was that all the strokes you describe, the focus on the three things that Richard mentioned tends to help understand what goes into the stroke from the perspective of ball contact and timing.  Some people can get away with generating everything with mostly their wrists, while others can do it with their full bodies.
Cybershape Carbon
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2014 at 8:40am
sorry i confused your statement with that of the video of another poster that i thought you were disagreeing on the stroke

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2014 at 8:58am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

sorry i confused your statement with that of the video of another poster that i thought you were disagreeing on the stroke

Not at all - as is often the case on the internet, we agree far more than we disagree...

Edited by NextLevel - 07/05/2014 at 9:01am
Cybershape Carbon
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2014 at 10:32am

I have never, ever as far as I can remember used R-L weight transfer on a backhand shot.  AFAIK, weight transfer should always follow the direction of the shot if you want to add power.  The most powerful backhand would be with the right foot in front off the left foot for a right hander.    To save time, most people do not go this far.  There is some coiling for power from R to L to prepare on the backswing is is not different from people turning and coiling from L to R on the forehand before unloading.  However, weight transfer can help the power on the backhand, but there is a lot of power in the wrist and the arm for the backhand so it is not critical unless you are at a very high level.

Couldn't agree with you more. For righties, on BH shots the power starts with a push off on the left leg and on FH with the right leg.

The backswing and push off on the BH wing are not as pronounced or prominent of the FH shot. It takes only a little momentum to start the power for the BH shot, moreso vs underspin, but it doesn't take much to get that movement into a powerful BH shot vs no spin or light topspin.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2014 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Reinecke Reinecke wrote:

This is the worst music I have ever heard. Dead

A couple of questions:

First off he says transfer weight from left to right. This seems completely wrong. Everything I have ever learned about backhand loop says transfer weight right to left, same as FH. This is how you efficiently transfer weight and power from your legs through your body to your shoulder and arm. Same as when throwing a punch. A jab is similar to a BH, and you transfer weight right to left.

Check out Yang Guang's weight transfer at around 2:45+. When it is in slow motion you can see that his right foot leaves the ground just after contact with the ball. This means he is transfering right to left not left to right as stated.

Second, anybody else get wrist pain after doing too many of these? Maybe I over exaggerate the wrist motion. I also find that if I bring my paddle further to the left on my opposite hip, I don't have to use as much wrist and I get lots of power. However I feel this is less controlled  and may be improper form. 

Contradicting, right? My stance on this.

As for the wrist pain, you're probably forcing the wrist to uncock. There should be minimal participation of the wrist in force production. The wrist should ideally uncock by inertia upon release of the stroke.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2014 at 12:39pm
Bad backhand technique is very common in US clubs. Active and passive wrist usage are not as important as not gripping your racket too tightly. Gripping it too tightly makes it harder to control the wrist naturally as it tenses up all your muscles and makes them move together with the arm.

For most players, the backhand should be a different shot from the forehand (I say most because I model my forehand on my backhand and I have seen some other players who clearly do like Keinath and Oya). For the backhand, most rotation should be more cylindrical than lever like.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2014 at 12:47pm
As a final comment, raising your right foot can be a way of facilitating L to R weight transfer. I sometimes push off both feet but with a transfer from L to R when doing my BH. Food for thought.
Cybershape Carbon
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2014 at 1:34pm

For the backhand, most rotation should be more cylindrical than lever like.

Is this the rotation at the hip / torso?

I am not sure about your backhand, but mine is with a stance squared on facing the incoming shot with neither foot more out than the other. When striking the ball, the forearm moves up and forward (varies depending on shot) but keeping the elbow steady. As a right-handed shakehand player the weight transfer is from left to right, with a slight hip rotation (left to right) or alternatively a slight upper torso thrust out. Sometimes the wrist is used, but not always, depending on the incoming ball and the shot I want to produce.

Unlike the forehand shot, I find the power comes more from the forearm push out action and or upper torso trust out than from the hip rotation. This I believe is due to the squared on stance.

When producing a shot, ideally the feet should be on the ground as taking your foot or feet off ground reduces balance.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2014 at 1:45pm

As a final comment, raising your right foot can be a way of facilitating L to R weight transfer. I sometimes push off both feet but with a transfer from L to R when doing my BH. Food for thought.

Sorry, and without being disrespectful, I disagree.

To facilitate weight transfer from left to right, bend the left knee slightly more than the right, thus putting more weight on your left leg. At the strike of the ball, push off your left leg without necessarily lifting your left foot off the ground, to tilt the weight onto your right. Your left knee should now be less bent in the process. Also, a way to facilitate weight transfer, is to do a slight left to right rotation at the hip.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic