Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dimitrij Ovtcharov Serving Technique (slow motion)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Dimitrij Ovtcharov Serving Technique (slow motion)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bbll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dimitrij Ovtcharov Serving Technique (slow motion)
    Posted: 07/15/2014 at 6:16am
Dimitrij Ovtcharov's Serving is very special. Let's observe his hand movement under slow motion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCbDwBrnbD4

Edited by bbll - 07/15/2014 at 6:18am
Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2014 at 2:35pm
Thanks nice video. Also, good to see how to return those serves.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2014 at 2:58pm
It was mentioned in a thread not that long ago and I can't help but notice it since... And that's just how little pure backspin serves pros use.

Mostly they're side/back, pure side, fair number of side/top when you factor in the two bounces.

A lot of those serves are returned with a relatively flat face of blade or even closed if they want to attack the ball.
Edmundtt View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmundtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 9:33am
The scenes are well cut. He has a very good backhand. I would love to see more of his backhand flick too.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 9:52am
there were times that his bh submarine serves are illegal because they are obviously below the playing surface when he starts to toss the ball
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 10:03am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

there were times that his bh submarine serves are illegal because they are obviously below the playing surface when he starts to toss the ball

It all depends on how you view the rules.  His toss(arm/wrist/hand) begins when the ball is above the surface.  The whole body is in motion before then but the hand/wrist is still relative to the rest of the body.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 10:10am
the serve starts when it is clear that you have the intention to serve not just by tossing the ball. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 10:12am
and yes, an international umpire who is a friend of mine made this kind of serve as an example of an illegal serve. during competitions umpires would let it go though because it does nothing to affect the ball but by legality standards it is illegal.

ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 10:44am

and yes, an international umpire who is a friend of mine made this kind of serve as an example of an illegal serve. during competitions umpires would let it go though because it does nothing to affect the ball but by legality standards it is illegal.

You mean during the back swing for the toss, the ball goes below the table? He's not the only one who does that

I don't know if that's illegal, though, as the ball hasn't left the palm yet. Not sure the exact wording for this in the service rule..
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 12:00pm
Since Dima use identical rubbers on FH and BH, I guess it doesn't matter that much.

I think most people don't back swing on ball toss... And is the ball also not allowed to drop below? I thought it's just the racket?
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by DistantStar DistantStar wrote:

Since Dima use identical rubbers on FH and BH, I guess it doesn't matter that much.

I think most people don't back swing on ball toss... And is the ball also not allowed to drop below? I thought it's just the racket?

As I understand it, the ball must be behind and above the table from the start of the serve until you strike the ball. There's no requirement as to where the racket should be. I'm just not sure the back swing of toss counts as the start of the serve or not. Some people may say the ball is not in play until it leaves your palm..

And you are right, you don't really need a back swing for the serve..
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 1:23pm

The main reason why I agreed with you is that an umpire I know believes that you must stop and present the ball before going into your service motion.    Sometimes, Ovtcharov does this, but this video doesn't seem to show that.  Starting below the table is not an issue as long as you stop to present the ball above the table before entering your service motion.  But I guess other interpretations are possible, which is why service rules are very exhausting to discuss.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 1:43pm

the serve starts when it is clear that you have the intention to serve not just by tossing the ball. 

What the rules say is this:

2.6 THE SERVICE
2.6.1 Service shall start with the ball resting freely on the open palm of the server's
stationary free hand.
2.6.2 The server shall then project the ball near vertically upwards, without
imparting spin, so that it rises at least 16cm after leaving the palm of the free
hand and then falls without touching anything before being struck.

So when the serve starts could be a bit of a gray area, which is probably why I have never seen that Dima has been called for this (not that I have viewed ever match of his).  In my view, it would be the position of the hand with the ball at the time it is stationary, which I think is fairly implicit in the rule.  It could be that his hand is always above the table at the time it is stationary.  The umpire (at floor level) would usually have a better view of that then we would have from most angles that matches are videotaped  (from well above floor level).

One thing I find funny is that a lot of people say that this serve or that serve is illegal based on conversations they have had with umpires.  In spite of that, we almost never see many of these same players called for illegal serves in international play -- in ITTF events umpired by actual international umpires!

Watch what people do, not what they say.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Starting below the table is not an issue as long as you stop to present the ball above the table before entering your service motion.  But I guess other interpretations are possible, which is why service rules are very exhausting to discuss.

But then, the ball would not truly be projected from a stationary hand, right?  (There is a contradiction in terms in the rule, though, since if the hand doesn't move, it can't project the ball, unless our hands suddenly turn into anti-gravity devices).

It is true that serve rules are exhausting to discuss.  A lot of sports have rules like that -- fouls in futbol and basketball, strikes in baseball.  In the end one finds that some umpires call things a little tighter than others and that is what we have in TT.  Personally I think the hidden serve rules solved non-existent problems, but we have had a long time to get used to new rules so that is water under the bridge.

Personally I think the ITTF umpires do a good job on this.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The main reason why I agreed with you is that an umpire I know believes that you must stop and present the ball before going into your service motion.    Sometimes, Ovtcharov does this, but this video doesn't seem to show that.  Starting below the table is not an issue as long as you stop to present the ball above the table before entering your service motion.  But I guess other interpretations are possible, which is why service rules are very exhausting to discuss.

Clearly starting below the table is an issue and illegal.

2.06.04 From the start of service until it is struck, the ball shall be above the level of the playing surface and behind the server's end line, and it shall not be hidden from the receiver by the server or his or her doubles partner or by anything they wear or carry. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

Clearly starting below the table is an issue and illegal.

No doubt about this.  The (slightly) gray area is when the serve starts but as I think a bit more about it, clearly this doesn't matter; presumably when the hand is stationary it has has to be above the table, which means that if it drops below the table any time after that during the toss, a violation has occurred.  The question I have is whether or not Dima actually violates this rule. 

Edit added.  The video above at 1:47 is clearly illegal.
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 2:57pm
Somehow this illegal serve discussion has moved from Dima starting his serve with his *racket* below the table surface to him starting his service by holding the ball under the table surface.  He clearly does not start with the ball below the table surface, rather his hand is resting right at the end of the table and the ball is in view.  Now, he does sometimes have that racket down below the table surface though.

Anyway, this whole thing is just another useless nitpicking of serves.  Please stop with this nonsense.  Confused
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 3:04pm
Geardaddy, I pretty much completely agree with the main point you make. I also wish this nonsense would stop. Where racket is doesn't matter.  Where the hand is does according to the rules.  I think 99.9% of the time Dima serves legally and I also hate the nitpicking that we constantly see.  But if you look at the video at 1:47 there is no doubt he is starting with hand below table where ball cannot be seen and if an umpire called him on it (at least that time), it would not be incorrect.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 5:10pm

Clearly starting below the table is an issue and illegal

From the start of service until it is struck, the ball shall be above the level of the playing surface and behind the server's end line, and it shall not be hidden from the receiver by the server or his or her doubles partner or by anything they wear or carry. 

If the serve starts when the ball leaves his palm, then the ball is above the table
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 7:27pm
people should realize that the serve is considered starting the moment you make a motion with an intention to serve. it does not necessarily mean that the start of the serve is just the toss of the ball. the point here is dima before tossing the ball, the level of his free hand holding the ball is slightly below table surface. 

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

What the rules say is this:

2.6 THE SERVICE
2.6.1 Service shall start with the ball resting freely on the open palm of the server's
stationary free hand.
2.6.2 The server shall then project the ball near vertically upwards, without
imparting spin, so that it rises at least 16cm after leaving the palm of the free
hand and then falls without touching anything before being struck.

So when the serve starts could be a bit of a gray area, which is probably why I have never seen that Dima has been called for this (not that I have viewed ever match of his).  In my view, it would be the position of the hand with the ball at the time it is stationary, which I think is fairly implicit in the rule.  It could be that his hand is always above the table at the time it is stationary.  The umpire (at floor level) would usually have a better view of that then we would have from most angles that matches are videotaped  (from well above floor level).

One thing I find funny is that a lot of people say that this serve or that serve is illegal based on conversations they have had with umpires.  In spite of that, we almost never see many of these same players called for illegal serves in international play -- in ITTF events umpired by actual international umpires!

Watch what people do, not what they say.

you forgot about this rule which is the basis for the discussion

2.06.04 From the start of service until it is struck, the ball shall be above the level of the playing surface and behind the server's end line, and it shall not be hidden from the receiver by the server or his or her doubles partner or by anything they wear or carry. 

reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 10:19pm
From the ITTF Handbook for MATCH OFFICIALS

10.2.2 To help ensure that the ball can be seen resting freely on the palm it is required to be
stationary above the level of the playing surface
. The free hand may not be held
stationary, dropped below the table surface and then brought upwards with a
continuous sweep of the arm to throw the ball; if the hand is not brought to rest again
above the level of the playing surface the service is illegal.

At 1:46 in the video, his stationary hand was BELOW the level of the playing surface, and thus illegal. The umpires don't call it because he's not trying to impart spin to the ball when throwing, and doesn't really affect anything.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Clearly starting below the table is an issue and illegal

From the start of service until it is struck, the ball shall be above the level of the playing surface and behind the server's end line, and it shall not be hidden from the receiver by the server or his or her doubles partner or by anything they wear or carry. 

If the serve starts when the ball leaves his palm, then the ball is above the table

The serve should start when the ball is stationary and presented.  Dima tends to (or appears to) slow down before tossing the ball so I think the umpires read that as his being stationary.  He probably isn't actually stationary which is what yogi_bear is pointing out.

As an analogy, I've seen umpires fault players for starting their service motion with their palm over the table though the ball is tossed behind the table and above table height.

Edited by NextLevel - 07/16/2014 at 11:53pm
Cybershape Carbon
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 11:54pm
yes that was what i'm trying to say. his movement before he tosses the ball is already part of his service action and the intention to serve is already there

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2014 at 12:22am
Originally posted by reflecx reflecx wrote:

From the ITTF Handbook for MATCH OFFICIALS
At 1:46 in the video, his stationary hand was BELOW the level of the playing surface, and thus illegal. The umpires don't call it because he's not trying to impart spin to the ball when throwing, and doesn't really affect anything.
This is the real trouble, It's not realy the umpires decision to let things slide, how would they know if it affects the other player, I say don't let the pro's cheat

Clap
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic