Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adidas Tenzone Ultra SF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adidas Tenzone Ultra SF
    Posted: 07/22/2014 at 9:18am
Adidas Tenzone Ultra SF 

Thickness: 2.1 or max
Test Blade: Adidas Avenger 5
Weight: approx. 67 grams uncut
Hardness: Medium Soft

I have been waiting for this rubber since the regular tenzone Ultra came out because I wanted to use a backhand rubber that has more control than the regular ultra. Although the regular ultra was controllable, i wanted something more on a better backhand rubber in terms of blocking but at the same time has the ability to spin great. 

Sponge Structure and hardness

Sometimes it feels that both the Ultra regular and Ultra SF have the same sponge hardness but when playing with them the Ultra SF feels softer. Overall the regular ultra was medium in hardness while the Ultra SF in medium soft at least. Ultra SF wasn't as soft as the 5Q VIP which felt mushy at times and I kinda needed the ball to sink into the sponge to fully maximize the performance. Basing on the pics below you could see that the Ultra regular has larger pores than the Ultra SF. They both have the same topsheets only to differ in the porousity of the sponge and their overall hardness and feel.

Performance

This is the best backhand rubber that Adidas has in its arsenal IMHO. I was blown away by its control even on faster shots especially on my backhand loops vs. underspin and backhand drives above the table vs. slight underspin and topspin balls. I could feel the ball sink better into the sponge and it felt softer by 2-3 degrees than the regular Tenzone Ultra. Ultra SF is slower by a few notches compared to the Ultra regular. The speed is faster than the Evolution FX-P and more or less equal to the EL-P. Ultra SF is faster than BF M3 but felt slower than a 5Q VIP. Spinwise, it is as spinny as the 5Q VIP, in some cases spinnier because it felt easier for the topsheet and sponge to bite the ball when looping. I'd say both Ultra regular and SF versions have the same amount of spin depending on the shot. ON harder shots and on a brushing stroke, the regular ultra is spinnier by a few notches but the sf version is easier to spin with which reminds me of the P7. It would suit a lot of players as a forehand attacking rubber. I was just used to using chinese rubbers for the forehand that the moment I go back to a tensor i have to make a bit of adjustment. It was too bouncy for me at first in the forehand but after a couple of minutes i was getting the hang of it. It produced a medium arc on loops against underspin. Both ides are very good for blocking and smashing. So far this is the loudest adidas rubber i have tested. It sounds like you are smashing the ball against a soft rubber which reminds me of soft tensor rubbers from other brands before. I never had problems with flicks and doing drops shots were very easy. This goes well with hard outer ply blades that are all wood and even carbon blades that are both fast and powerful. Good even far from the table shots like counterloops or sidespin loops.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2014 at 9:55am
Yes, finally! This should be awesome. I'll get my popcorn, and hopefully by the time I get back you'll have got the review up...
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2014 at 10:04am
Yogi_bear,$ is SF noticebly softer comparing to normal tensone ult?
Or it is difference characteristic ? 
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2014 at 6:44pm
crows, the hardness when i press the rubber and sponge has a slightly small difference in hardness but when i start playing with it, it was softer
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 9:39am
update with review

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 10:29am
Brilliant yogi, many thanks!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 2:42am
tested the ultra sf again today with my female player and she loves it. she was using 5Q VIP before and I replaced it with the ultra sf. there was no change in her backhand loop near and medium distance from the table. The rubber cement effect has already settled and the rubber is still loud but not too soft.

Scorpnox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpnox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 7:07pm
I play with Xiom Sigma Europe 2 2.0 mm right now on my FH and I want something a little softer and more controlled. Would this rubber be a good rubber for me? (in 1.8 mm)

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 7:47pm
from my experience europe versions of xiom are very soft. although the ultra sf has a soft feel the sponge and topsheet felt like it was 45 degrees. if the sigma europe and vega europe have almost the same hardness then ultra sf is harder

Scorpnox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpnox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 3:13am
Sigma 2 Europe is also 45 degrees I think... 

tamtam View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamtam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 5:26am
This is my first post on this forum although I have followed up various reviews and comments from members on this forum for a long time.

Firstly, I would like to express my sincere thanks, especially to yogi_bear , for all helpful reviews on various blades and rubbers that helps me a lot in finding suitable equipments for my TT. I finally found the most suitable rubbers for my playing style: Adidas Tenzone Ultra.

I have tried various rubbers and just in the past 2 years I tried with Stiga Spin, Stiga Sound, Tenergy 64, Tenrgy 05, 05 FX, Tenergy 80, Evolution MX-P, FX-P, Adidas P7 and now I am really happy with Adidas Tenzone Ultra max for FH and Tenzone Ultra SF 2.0 for BH.

I was waiting for the TZU SF version for my BH after trying both sides of blades with TZUs on my beloved ZJK Super ZLC blade. My order could be one of the first orders of this excellent rubber (around May 2014) from Contra. It really suited my BH and I concur with the above review from yogi_bear.

Very good control, easy to flick, brush, push (short and long), powerful smash, good counter topspins, very reliable and consistent block against heavy spin and powerful strokes are things that you can find from this rubber. For me, the best character of the TZU SF is the level of control, easy to manage with incoming spin but at the same time easy to create spin when needed to challenge the opponents. This is the best rubber IMHO so far for my BH.

You may see the pictures that I put two covers of TZU and TZU SF for comparison. Tolerance (control?) is higher for SF whilst other characters are nearly the same. However, I tested the SF for my FH but found it was inferior to the normal TZU in terms of speed and spin from mid and far distance strokes. Now with my combo, I think that my journey on new rubbers has been ended (or…may be until the new replacing version of Adidas for poly balls).

P/S: Just wonder if there is anyone having the Adidas Sonic rubber that announced to be released at the same time with TZU SF then disappeared into thin air just a few days later?

Edited by tamtam - 07/30/2014 at 5:41am
Blade: MJ SZLC
FH: Adidas Tenzone Ultra SF 2.0
BH: Adidas Tenzone Ultra SF 1.8
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 7:08pm
Would this make a better BH rubber than Rakza 7 Soft, Rakza 7, Rakza 9 or adidas P7?
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 8:13pm
it depends on your preference. personally i prefer this over P7 but don't liek it on the forehand but some people likes this very much on their forehands over tenzone ultra

Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 9:54pm
Thanks Yogi - how does it differ to the P7 as a BH rubber?

What would you say are the major differences? and what are the similarities?

In a previous review the R9 appeared to be an excellent BH rubber too as it allowed good drives, blocks and hits while not losing ability for opening loop, and had a very good short game. What type of players would be better off with R9 or R7 rather than the Adidas rubbers?
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
tamtam View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamtam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 11:18pm
IMHO, it depends on your playing techniques and the blade that you use.

I used R7 long time ago as BH rubber for allround then carbon blades, also used P7 on ZLC then on RX-Carbon blades. It is no doubt that they are very good rubbers.

For me, R7 is very good rubber to play in slow and short games, more defensive. P7 is better for faster game, more forgiving in errors than R7. With P7 you can challenge opponents by your BH fast return, driving the ball to both wings of the table. It's better than R7 in topspin against topspin.

In case you want to push the game to high speed, to control the game by attacking by both wings, to return to the fast and heavy spin loops arriving to your back hand with the speed and spiny, to do BH smash or drive back thorny balls coming from opponents using long pips rubbers, you may need rubber sometimes help you "break your limits, control the extreme" (Adidas TZU's slogan), then Tenzone Ultra SF would be suitable for your BH!

Just pay attention that though TZU SF is considered as soft rubber, it is really fast and bouncy!
Blade: MJ SZLC
FH: Adidas Tenzone Ultra SF 2.0
BH: Adidas Tenzone Ultra SF 1.8
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2014 at 7:40am
Finally ordered one of these - 2.0 in red. I was surprised to find that the sponge was 40deg - a fair bit softer than I'd anticipated.

Had a few hours with it last night and it's a really awesome rubber. Have to agree with yogi's review in general. Powerful, spinny, easy to use.
Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2016 at 1:23am
does it play well with polyball?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2016 at 1:40am
Yes. The sf version grips the polyball better than the plain ultra

Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2016 at 2:35am
cool. i might get a sheet this weekend..  thanks yogi_bear!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2016 at 4:25am
TZUSF is brilliant - I'd probably still be using it on my BH.  But it isn't a long-term option with Adidas leaving the tt market.  Supplies will dry up and the ITTF approval will expire at some point.  A big shame.
Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2016 at 8:13pm
im not gonna compete so it doesn't really matter to me. just wanna try this rubber :)
andy you might wanna keep a sheet? Wink
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2016 at 12:26am
Www.greenpaddle.com is selling the ultras for half the price.

Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2016 at 1:02am
any idea which tenergy rubber plays like TZU sf? 
Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2016 at 1:04am
yes i saw it yesterday at green paddle. made me curious about this rubber 
siestakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siestakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2016 at 11:41am

£45.61 ?
Siesta Key
W968
Omega Tour 7 i
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic