FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Which face of the blade is for FH?...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which face of the blade is for FH?...
    Posted: 07/24/2014 at 9:23pm
... and which is the BH side... How can you tell that?
I feel that in some cases I chose the wrong face of the blade, but that was becoming evident only after many months of play, and after some experimenting. For me, the faster face is better for FH.

Also, is there a rule regarding the label on the handle vs the FH or BH face selection?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Sponsored Links

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 9:28pm
The side that has the writing on the blade face, and the logo on the handle is generally accepted as being the forehand, and for 2 speed blades this is normally the faster side. Of course it really only matters if it's a 2-speed blade.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 9:43pm
do blades really have different feel on each side? i always felt that using the face where you can see the name of the blade was more comfortable for fh, or is it only a psychological thing...

Edited by mrdoodzki - 07/24/2014 at 9:49pm
Blade -- Stiga Clipper

FH -- DHS Hurricane 3

BH -- Japtec Experience

HAPPINESS is....sometimes no words, just the sound of a ball
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 10:18pm
It depends if the blade is in your right or left hand. Smile  To be safe, when I switch sides I turn the blade over. 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 11:13pm
Most blades it doesn't matter. I actually like to use the backhand side for fh and make my rackets like that because Chinese blades don't always have perfectly inset lenses. Some people don't like the feel of the lens regardless.

Be aware that a red pips sheet no sponge can't go over the printed side. The lettering will show through.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 2:04am
The FH side is usually the one with your preferred FH rubber..........Wink
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 4:01am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

To be safe, when I switch sides I turn the blade over. 
I thought this was really helpful until I realised that it doesn't work. If you are facing north in the first set then - when your blade is in the neutral position - the forehand is facing west (for a right handed player). When you change ends, you're facing south. If you turn the blade over, the forehand is still facing west! To achieve the correct eastern orientation, you'll need to turn the blade over a second time. Each time you change ends turn the blade twice!
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 8:35am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

The side that has the writing on the blade face, and the logo on the handle is generally accepted as being the forehand, and for 2 speed blades this is normally the faster side. Of course it really only matters if it's a 2-speed blade.

+1.  On the 2 speed blade, I like to have the faster side for BH, but it's just me Smile.
diedona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diedona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 8:51am
Does it have difference? Shocked

I tend to use the side with the logo as FH, and... Mainly red rubbers as FH. Don't know why, it just seems wrong to use a black one on the FH. Crazy things about me, hah.
Xiom Aria - ST
Xiom Vega Europe 2mm (bh & fh)
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 10:39am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

No necessarily, it depends on the construction of blade at the top of the handle, some blades definitely give you a more natural 4H grip.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 10:45am
there are some 'uni-directional' blades - butterfly made some - where the handle is shaved down where your thumb meets the handle (viscaria, power drive).....butterfly also made some 'uni-directional' handles where one side was flat/straight and the other side was flared/concave (kreanga, others).  i am assuming those blades are meant to be gripped that way.  same goes with the donic dotec blades (the ones with the cork) - it is not absolutely written that they should be held/gripped in any direction, however common sense seems to dictate which way the blade was designed/engineered to be gripped.  all would be backwards with a lefty, i guess

:)
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 11:09am
I see Timo Boll likes to use the BH side of ALC as FH with red T05 in recent years. Don't know if there is any meaningful reason.

Edited by TurboZ - 07/25/2014 at 11:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic