Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Shrinking Rubber - Affected quality?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
diedona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diedona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shrinking Rubber - Affected quality?
    Posted: 07/25/2014 at 8:44am
Hello there people!

I've assembled my new set last saturday and by yesterday the rubber got shrink Dead

At first i thought it was a defect by the manufactor, but then i searched in this forum and found out i used a little bit of unnecessary pressure when glueing it (with donic glue sheet).

I am sad, but the damage is not too much, it shrinked for 2 or 3 mm, i can still play normally with it, but i was left with one irritating doubt:

Will it affect other characteristics of the rubber, like speed and sound? Or is it only the shrink?

I come to ask here because i really got confused on how to search for this... If anyone can point me a term to search for, i'd be really thankful!

My set is:

Donic Acuda S2 (FH)
Tibhar 5Q Sound (BH)
Tibhar Red Cypress

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

buy&sellblades View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote buy&sellblades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2014 at 3:05am
Definitely will effect the play of the rubber. Take a supreme hypathetical here: imagine the pores of the sponge were 1 inch wide. this would cause the rubber to be much softer and allow the ball to sink in much farther than if the pores were to shrink and be smaller. once the rubber shrinks it will actually become harder. It should be faster. but not in the way that it was created to be.
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2014 at 4:03am
It will affect it a bit but not that much. It will play a little harder, less bouncy, but not by much. Your sheet is still new.

What may happen after some time is another shrinkage, this time due to the factory booster wearing off. This will be very progressive, so you won't feel its effect from one day to the next. Your rubber will be used but still playable, though not with the same qualities as a brand new one. It will be a bit slower, not as bouncy.
diedona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diedona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2014 at 1:35pm
I understand... Broken Heart

Thanks for the kind replies, people. I will replace my rubbers in a month or two. Really sad that i commited such a mistake.

At least it isn't sooo expensive as a Tenergy! Definitely would be banging my head into the wall =)
Xiom Aria - ST
Xiom Vega Europe 2mm (bh & fh)
buy&sellblades View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buy&sellblades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2014 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by diedona diedona wrote:

I understand... Broken Heart

Thanks for the kind replies, people. I will replace my rubbers in a month or two. Really sad that i commited such a mistake.

At least it isn't sooo expensive as a Tenergy! Definitely would be banging my head into the wall =)

in the future just practice a lot of patience by letting the glue COMPLETELY dry before putting it on the blade. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic