tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > ITTF President answers you

Plastic Balls -- Happy Innovation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2014 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I have yet to see a single seamed Chinese ball from DHS, Joola or Nittaku that bounces as high as any of the celluloid balls I have compared them to, and I have by this time checked around 16 of them.  Not even 1 out of the 16.  The average bounce height is roughly around 75% of celluloid.
What height are you dropping them from?  What are you dropping them on to?

The standard that is used is just that: a standard.  305mm drop height - not 309 or 303.  And they are dropped on a standardised block of steel - I believe Dr Kuneth keeps it under his bed at night so vampire dogs can't mess with it.  The rebound height of the ball is only measured under these circumstances.

I hear what you're saying about the low bounce but that doesn't mean it's outside the standard.  The acceptable range is 20mm which is perfectly visible to the naked eye.  It's a huge range.  260mm rebound is 85.25% of the drop height.  240mm is only 78.7%.  That's a 6.55% difference, and allows a major variation in the bounce of approved balls.

There's nothing new in this.  It's just that the celluloid balls we all play with seem to be at the upper end of the range without any great variation between them.  If the poly balls are at the lower end of the range we will all notice a significant difference.

Solution?  ITTF tightens the range of allowable bounce, or... we only buy and use those poly balls which have an acceptable bounce.  (At present, that looks like only XuShaofa balls.  I wonder how Weener balls will bounce?)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2014 at 6:30am
True about the range.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2014 at 6:33am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

...... ....... Yes.

Dear Colleague,

Vexation eats the dog. you know, and easy mindset is the best healer.
Take things easy, pingpang is just a happy passtime, no case for going mad. Yes.

Thank god for the weener balls. Yes.
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2014 at 11:32pm
HOW TO GET PLASTIC BALLS MORE SPINNY ?

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1998-10/909841669.Ph.r.html

It follows from the given research --a softer ball tends to produce greater spin and speed upon the on-racket impact.

The Plastic Balls, as now marketed worldwide, proved ALL to be made of exceedingly stiff material, hard to compress.. and obvious spin loss is now reported on all the ball brands, as compared to celluloid.

HOW TO IMPROVE.
-- Through using some softer plastic materials we could make up very well for the rotational deficiency of the current plastic samples..   Also, the ball speed rate is hopefully to grow up somewhat with introducing softer plastics.

Will manufacturers be motivated enough to search for a better (soft-and-ductile, ) material ?   Let's live and see...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2014 at 10:23pm
I played with the ITTF approved Xushaofa ball all evening today, which I bought from TNPP (6 for $10).  It bounces slightly higher than a celluloid ball dropped from the same height onto a table, but not a big difference.  (This is dropping them onto a table, not a steel plate).    This result is markedly different from the Joola plastic balls which bounce lower than celluloid, and which differ from celluloid by a larger margin.  The XSF ball was much nicer to play with than the Joola 40+ or the Nittaku China 40+.  Still a bit slower and less spin than celluloid, and will still take some getting used to in free play, but I had a lot more fun playing with this one.  It doesn't feel heavy and it seemed like fewer strange timing errors.  I haven't played with it enough to conclude too much but my distinct impression at this point is that if this was the ball we all ended up using forever, I would be ok with it.  I had the same feeling with the Nittaku Japan 40+ a few weeks ago.  We had some really good rallies with this XSF ball today.  It doesn't seem to sink so much away from the table as the Joola 40+.  All in all, a lot closer to playing with celluloid or so it seemed tonight.

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2014 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Will manufacturers be motivated enough to search for a better (soft-and-ductile, ) material ?   Let's live and see...

I thought you wanted to reduce the impact of spin, speed, strength, skill, ...

Edited by slevin - 08/21/2014 at 10:33pm
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 3:52pm
TESTIMONIES OF THE PLASTIC BY ADVANCED PLAYERS. (all representatives for loooper's school).

Good job ITTF...

To provide you with more
feedback on the new 40+ plastic
ball, we asked several players
from the Prestige table tennis
club to try various brands and to
give some comments on them.
We asked them to write their
opinions on four specific
subjects:
-General impression of the plastic balls
-Favorite brand of the ones they tested,
-Difference with celluloid balls, what type of changes to their equipment or technique will the new balls require.

In total, 17 players provided their feedback, among them former Canadian national team players such as Peng Guo, Yang Jiang, Ling Kun
Yang, Bao Nguyen, Patrick Léveillé, Mitch Rothfleisch and many other elite players.

The list of balls that were tested :
· DoubleFish 40+ 3-star
· Joola SuperP 3-star
· Nittaku SHA 40+ 3-star
· Xushaofa 40+ 3-star (seamless)
· Xushaofa Sports 40+3-star
(seamless)
· Xushaofa Sports Club
(seamless)

Not all players tested all the
balls, and the tests were not
blind tests, and players may
have influenced each other, but
we found their comments still
very interesting.
The first common remark was
that there was not as big a
difference as they had heard or
expected. Most of the players
really enjoyed playing with the
new plastic balls and felt better
about their game. Players found
the new plastic ball harder,
slower, less spinny and bouncier
(higher and more vertical
bounces). As a result, they were
making less mistakes and
feeling more confident about
their game. It was also more fun
for them to play because the
new ball allowed them to play
longer rallies. Both Mitch
Rothfleisch and Bao Nguyen,
former top 5 players in Canada,
wrote that it was more fun to
play because the rallies were
longer. One player wrote : "Good
job ITTF".
The players found that the one
practice ball they tested,
Xushaofa Sports Club (seamless),
played surprisingly well, a lot
closer to the 3 star balls than
they expected.
While none of the balls received
any negative comments, and
half the players couldn’t identify
a favourite, 6 players chose
Xushaofa Sports, one chose
Xushaofa and chose Nittaku.
Ling Kun Yang, former top 5
player in Canada, wrote that the
Xushaofa Sports ball was the
most similar to celluloid balls,
and his favourite.
Finally, there was also the
question on whether or not
adjustments were needed to
cope with this new change. Again
while there were no strong
conclusions yet, comments from
Prestige players mentioned the
necessity for table tennis
players to find ways to adjust
their technique or equipment to
make up for the reduction in
speed, spin and power due to
the characteristics of the plastic
ball. A couple of players thought
there was longer « dwell » time
with the new balls.
There is more to come as we
keep receiving new brands of
the plastic ball. The seamless
plastic Palio and the Andro
40+*** balls have just arrived.
The Donic and Cornilleau balls
will arrive in about a week, and
soon we’ll gather comments on
all these brands.
Please share with us any
comments you have on the
brands you try.
Stay tuned!

Mr. Pierre-Luc Hinse
Ping-Pong Depot
Stlig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stlig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2015 at 11:36pm
these new plastic balls kill the rubbers much quicker than celluloid ones. Moreover, they are so easily broken. These new changes are nothing but the money. :(((

Edited by Stlig - 02/05/2015 at 11:37pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2015 at 1:04am
After starting this thread in August Igor has finally started a thread warning us all on the lack of roundness of seamed 40+ balls, which was obvious months ago. (It seems I mentioned ithat problem on this thread on Aug 9, but it was already old news by then). Better late than never Igor.

I will forgive you if you can send over some of those carnal sex starved vampiresses you once went on about.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic