Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me imrove my play :)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
huri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me imrove my play :)
    Posted: 08/16/2014 at 2:28pm
Hello guys, i am a young player from slovakia ..... but i started playing late :( anyways i know i woulnd't be able to replace those missing youth years but i enjoy the game a lot nevertheless, and i want to be the best i can. Through summer i am playing 4-5 times a week 2 to 3 hours sessions. 
I am offensivly oriented player, playing with avalox p500 and Rakza 7 fh and bh both looking mainly for third or fifth ball attack. My opponents, even much higher rated than me ussualy have lots of trouble returning my serves well. I know my footwork sucks, and i am pretty big for a TT player as i work in a gym 176 lbs at 5ft 7. But i am making progress in that area... as i  try to jump rope and such a lot. Here are 2 unedited videos of me playing..... and one edited.... i will try to upload more overtime...... i'd be greatfull for every and any advice i get :) Thanks in forward. 
Btw i am the guy wearing glasses 

Edited by huri - 08/16/2014 at 3:38pm
Dhs PG 7 FL, 90g
DHS H3 National 2.15 40°,Dian Chi applied
Tenergy 05 FX 1.9
Sponsored Links

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2014 at 3:22pm
Hello, thanks for sharing the videos.

I think the one tip I would offer to you is that you should try and keep your arm under the control of your body. If you watch your attacking strokes, particularly with your backhand, your arm at the end of each stroke is out of control. This leads to you recovering from the stroke more slowly and you feel rushed on the next shot.
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2014 at 3:50pm
Ok, here goes.

Serves (I always start with serves): At this level you are getting away with mostly deep serves that have a lot of spin but aren't particularly fast. They are also not really low over the net, making the job of returning them easier. When you start moving up this will have to change, the deep slow serves will all be attacked at higher levels and would put you immediately on the defensive. High level play is 1. short servers 2. serves that may or may not double bounce and 3. very fast deep serves.

Forehand: I like it, your best shot. You also are playing at a good depth in the court, most of your opponents are retreating from the table too fast and seem happy to retrieve or try and counter-spin.

Backhand: Overall a good shot, I like how you try and attack the serve directly with it. I agree with BMonkey, you have some extra motion that doesn't really help the shot and will be a problem if you are rushed. Look at how you are using your arm and shoulder, they should be an anchor for the wrist/elbow, but they are moving all over the place.

One more thing, compare how upright you look compared to the top players. You have good leg strength, try being a little lower with your feet a bit wider apart.

Overall, there is more good than bad. And keep practicing both serves and return of serve, most points are won there.

jfolsen
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2014 at 5:15pm
I posted over at TTD about improving your Stance (you start low, but come up too soon) and how that affects your play, along with Shot Selection and Serve/Receive. Give regards to that sorry excuse of one called Der_Echte :)
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2014 at 7:27pm
1) For the BH stroke... the elbow is the pivot and should not be moving much at all... in your shots you are using the shoulder as the pivot and the elbow was even at head height in a shot (1st video) between 1:10 and 1:16 - try to pause exactly on 1:14. 

This means your technique for lifting backspin with the BH is wrong and needs a total change. only the forearm moves slightly upwards and forwards, then the wrist snaps upon contact (the wrist is held back before contact). So it is forearm and a lot of wrist. 

2) You also tense your muscles A LOT when playing and appear very rigid - you have to be more relaxed and fluid in order to have more control, versatility, recovery, spin and even speed.

3) Last thing - accellerate the movement when close to contact with the ball - currently you move with the same speed throughout the stroke... a stroke starts slow and then accellerates dramatically when close to contact. 

4) I am going to stick to strokes and not mention stance and footwork as yet.

However, unfortunately - without a coach and multiball training no matter how much you know what is wrong - you will be unable to correct it effectively. Match training may reinforce errors because your flawed BH strokes are landing and I have seen you win points with them. The earlier you get multiball sessions with a professional player the better.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2014 at 9:17pm
Some very nice overall suggestions here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic