Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiffness test for buying new blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiffness test for buying new blade
    Posted: 08/21/2014 at 3:42pm
While buying a blade (such as a Viscaria, for example) at a store, is there a quick way to discern whether the piece you're holding is stiff or flexy?

Earlier, I thought that perhaps blade thickness (relative to others of the same type) would be an indicator. However, I've had 2 Viscaria blades simultaneously once & the thicker one played flexy where as the other one was stiff as a brick.
Sponsored Links

bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2014 at 4:05pm
great question.  I hope somebody has a good answer

(for tennis racquets there is a machine that bends the stick and measures the stiffness.)
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2014 at 7:21pm
a very crude way to do is tap the blade head with a pen, the higher the pitch sound the stiffer the blade
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2014 at 8:12pm
Or, bring a ball with you and bounce it on the blade, while holding the blade with a very loose grip.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2014 at 8:15pm
You have to measure the weight in addition to the thickness to get a good idea of the stiffness.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2014 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

You have to measure the weight in addition to the thickness to get a good idea of the stiffness.

if my blade is 5.875 MM and 75Grams  how stiff is it with your formula? and a compact head

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2014 at 10:09pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 12:51am
I have found that heavier weights usually plays stiffer,I think more density in a heavier blade of the same type compared to a lighter version .
To test the flex I would put the blade with the face flat on a table or Kutchen work surface with the handle out past the edge and gently move the handle up and down whilst holding the face down and you can see the play/flex this way,done side by side it can give you an idea of the bending difference between blades

Edited by firetack - 08/22/2014 at 12:52am
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 2:28am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

a very crude way to do is tap the blade head with a pen, the higher the pitch sound the stiffer the blade

I've found that it's not only the pitch matters, but the sustain.  The shorter sustain blades tend to be stiffer, the longer sustained blades seem to be more flexible.
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2014 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Yes that is a very good way. As it will determine the stiffness it does not always determine the speed aspect of a blade of course. :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 11:43pm
yea i see pros do it but i still can't tell. they claim the really good ones reverberate like an expensive string instrument or steel bar and also model-specific stuff like the donic senso blades, if you blow across them, the good ones can make a high pitched whistle like a reed instrument
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 5:34pm
I have never found a way that works except playing with one but maybe i should try zeios method of thickness and weight. Pitch is not too helpful for viscaria at least.
SolidEvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolidEvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2014 at 6:09am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

While buying a blade (such as a Viscaria, for example) at a store, is there a quick way to discern whether the piece you're holding is stiff or flexy?

Ok, it's a saturday so I've had some time to do some creative thinking.

If you put a block at the base off the blade, say where there handle stops, and bounce a ball off the blade. Then move the block halfway of the blade, and bounce the ball again.
The difference in bounce should give you a relative idea of the stiffness, you also get some pitch and sustain data off that setup as well.

It's all a bit about how string based musical instruments work, so the result of it should have some scientific predictability to it.

firetack had a similar idea, but I think if you use the handle to create the vibration you are testing the vibration of the handle in combination with the material of the blade, and not the properties of the blade part.
Could be wrong, but I'd eliminate the handle from the equation as a players grip on it will greatly influence the vibration capabilities of the entire blade to begin with.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic