FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Ariel Hsing FH Loop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ariel Hsing FH Loop
    Posted: 08/26/2014 at 2:47pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUwsDZaDAY0

Notice the quick jerk and stop motion at the end of AH's 2 loops. It occurs well after contact has been made in both instances. Does it serve a purpose? Is it an idiosyncrasy or technical flaw?
Sponsored Links

thatguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 3:12pm
Watch something recent like super league or even NCTTA nationals...there is a big change but  idiosyncrasy somewhat i would say but everyone has a different follow through which varies depending on many things, she's much smoother now. She's adding that extra "umph" on her spin.

Edited by thatguy - 08/26/2014 at 3:22pm
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 3:24pm
1st one is an opening loop against (looks like a heavy chop), and follow with a smash.  Such a beautiful combo.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 3:30pm
It's more like a whipping effect...
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 3:30pm
actually, it's not so much as a 'quick jerk and stop' motion 

as it is - 'returning to neutral'.....where she would have the ability to play either fh or bh - depending on the answer from the opponent

pretty good, actually

:)
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 3:45pm
First of all it is slow motion and somehow gives you the idea that she does that on purpose "stopping" the follow through, a long time after contact. Modern technique in the past years has more science and physics into it.

Actually what she does (and almost all of the pros with good technique do) is that she accelerates slightly before contact but mostly during contact, and after the contact is made she lets immediately loose making it look like she is "stopping" the movement. 

In the first FH loop I think she does stops the follow through a bit by not jumping away from the ground in order to be fast in good position for the next shot.

I think she wants to add as much spin possible in the 1st loop but without losing any time to recover for the next shot. If she let completely loose after contact her body would jump a bit as the whole motion is upwards.

For me its definetely not a technical flaw, rather it shows the level of Ariel in handling shots like that with consistency. 

A view of the other player would give us more information.

Seeing the video a few times again I believe that her first loop is purposedly landing as close to the net as possible (perhaps her opponent cannot cover all of the table effectively and is maybe a bit far)  thats why you see mostly upwards motion in the first loop and almost none forward motion. The next block (or chop? the trajectory tells me it is block/topspin shot most likely) is bad and bouncy, resulting in a fast attack, the opponent struggles to bring it back and ariels smashes it

So judging from what I see and without knowing the exact position of the opponent, my guess is that the first incoming ball is easy for Ariel to handle (12-18 cm over the net). 

Such a high ball gives Ariel the advantage of choices 1)loop hard and long near the endline of the opponent 2) Loop by accelerating only in an upwards motion using the minimal power needed for the ball to pass the net safely, keeping the opponent pinned-> bad block/chop -> easy ball for ariel who smashes afterwards

Now my english are not so good to explain 100% what im trying to say but I hope you get the point. I will use an example to make it more crystal clear.

If u throw a semihigh ball to your opponent and you see him stepping firmly to their right leg, falling their playing arm and waist under the table, you must take a neutral position over the table (both vertical and horizontal) in order to cover all angles in case the ball comes fast. 

This is the worst case scenario, but again the opponent can change direction at the exact moment of contact giving you a slow spinny ball as ariel does, if you dont have perfect position to countertopspin the ball, whatever stroke you do it will not be effective. Same thing happens in the video 

Again this is all a theoretical assumption of mine, as we dont know the exact position of Ariel's opponent. Ending her technique is very good without flaws in my opinion, maybe she could add more spin with wrist snapping in the 2nd loop but then again its obvious she chooses speed and placement (the 2nd loop goes diagonal) over spin, in order to take her opponent out of position as she actually does if we judge from the last very high ball that she smashes.

Another thing I noticed is that, if you see the video in 0.25 of its current speed, ariel does not know where the 2nd ball is gonna come she turns he paddle for BH to cover it and then immediately changes to FH when she realizes its an easy FH ball. That tells me that her opponent probably is in the same line with the middle line of the table maybe a bit to the BH judging from Ariel's glance to the ball after her 1st loop.

If we had the whole picture along with the opponent's position, its a perfect example for beginners to show how to take advantage of high balls, keep your opponent guessing the placement of the next ball and finally building up the point safely untill u can finish it with ease, instead of hard looping/smashing the 1st semihigh ball which can sometimes come back to you real fast by a block off the bounce.

my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

actually, it's not so much as a 'quick jerk and stop' motion 

as it is - 'returning to neutral'.....where she would have the ability to play either fh or bh - depending on the answer from the opponent

pretty good, actually

:)

Some of my thoughts exactly, but you made it much simpler :P
my TT blog!

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 4:52pm
i don't recommend learning strokes from analyzing her strokes. She does not have nice strokes, even for a girl. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 9:10pm
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 10:28am
IMO they are generating a lot of upward momentum to lift the underspin ball so it looks like a momentary tensing of the muscles to keep them from popping up. LXX is doing it to but it looks smoother. However AH put more energy into the the shot as you can see by how much upper torso turn she does on the back swing so she has more upward inertia to get under control. Seeing AH live at college nationals I think her stroke is fairly standard. 
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 11:37am
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

IMO they are generating a lot of upward momentum to lift the underspin ball so it looks like a momentary tensing of the muscles to keep them from popping up. LXX is doing it to but it looks smoother. However AH put more energy into the the shot as you can see by how much upper torso turn she does on the back swing so she has more upward inertia to get under control. Seeing AH live at college nationals I think her stroke is fairly standard. 

I donno, to me it looks like LXX's shot is a lot more spinny, despite AH putting in more effort.

1. Smoother motion almost always means more efficient use of energy.
2. Compare the rewind prior to the stroke, LXX is way behind her knee, AH not so much.
3. Compare the instantaneous acceleration just prior and during the shot, LXX is like an arrow
4. LXX is naturally taller so she already have longer arms. Now compare the arm posture, straight long arm vs very much bent + shorter arm.  

Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

...Girls have milk jugs and curves so it's not easy to accelerate their full body nor do I think it's efficient to do so...

You say it like those assets are a bad thingShocked

Edited by DistantStar - 08/27/2014 at 11:39am
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by DistantStar DistantStar wrote:

I donno, to me it looks like LXX's shot is a lot more spinny, despite AH putting in more effort.

1. Smoother motion almost always means more efficient use of energy.
2. Compare the rewind prior to the stroke, LXX is way behind her knee, AH not so much.
3. Compare the instantaneous acceleration just prior and during the shot, LXX is like an arrow
4. LXX is naturally taller so she already have longer arms. Now compare the arm posture, straight long arm vs very much bent + shorter arm.

I am not saying that LXX isn't better or more efficient just that they are both having to manage the same type of inertia and so have similar motions at the end of their strokes in order to recover.. 

The take backs start close enough to the same place there really isn't that much difference in terms of the starting position. It's a little harder to determine where AH's take back is because of the camera angle as well, but I have seen her live and she does take her arm back a fair amount on her opening loop against underspin.   The stroke angles are a little different as well, AH more vertical than LXX . Also LXX show more upper torso turn during the follow though. 

For her type of stroke mechanic and the intensity of the shot I don't think that the recovery motion is abnormal.
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by TTFrenzy TTFrenzy wrote:

First of all it is slow motion and somehow gives you the idea that she does that on purpose "stopping" the follow through, a long time after contact. Modern technique in the past years has more science and physics into it.

Actually what she does (and almost all of the pros with good technique do) is that she accelerates slightly before contact but mostly during contact, and after the contact is made she lets immediately loose making it look like she is "stopping" the movement. 

I see a bit of additional acceleration just prior to the "arresting" of the swing. It's that additional acceleration (I previously referred to it as the "jerk"), which seems to occur long after contact has already been made that perplexes me, not the "arresting" of the swing. To me, the additional acceleration is even more obvious in her second loop.

The "arresting" of the swing seems to be a common stroke feature among players when they want to emphasize brushing of the ball. I've heard Chinese commentators refer to this technique as "quick stop".
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 3:24pm
... lol too much overanalysis. she's just returning to neutral. girls don't have enough power to lift underspin in general so they bound up with their whole body but women's quick attack play requires you to be back to ready fast. hence, the snapback after passing the ball. not related to body shape, for extra spin/power etc. 

LXX is bigger for women so she might go for more powerful shots. but everyone does that some time. ariel just specializes in quick attack so you don't see her using motions for big loops most of the time. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53pZqN4VLn4
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

... lol too much overanalysis. she's just returning to neutral.

+1
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

I see a bit of additional acceleration just prior to the "arresting" of the swing. It's that additional acceleration (I previously referred to it as the "jerk"), which seems to occur long after contact has already been made that perplexes me, not the "arresting" of the swing. To me, the additional acceleration is even more obvious in her second loop.

The "arresting" of the swing seems to be a common stroke feature among players when they want to emphasize brushing of the ball. I've heard Chinese commentators refer to this technique as "quick stop".

I dont see any additional acceleration after contact has been made. If you want to somehow "stop" the follow through you do it because you wanna come back to you ready/neutral position faster, not because you can emphasize with  spin by "arresting" your swing.

my TT blog!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 10:00pm

I dont see any additional acceleration after contact has been made. If you want to somehow "stop" the follow through you do it because you wanna come back to you ready/neutral position faster, not because you can emphasize with  spin by "arresting" your swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPxU6PLHmf0

KK is playing JSH, so KK is looking to hit with his FH as often as he can. KK is not playing close to the table and he knows he'll probably hit a forehand on the next shot. Time after time, he arrests his FH swing to brush loop until he gets a chance ball to attack with a full swing and follow through. Does he do it because he's pressed for time and needs to return to neutral faster?
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 1:28am
He does not arrest anything in my opinion. His focus is to place the ball with spin untill, as you said, finds a chance to finish the point. The upwards motion is accelerating during contact, I dont see any "short stop" that is forced by KK on purpose, there is absolutely no need for that. His strategy is to safely pass the ball over the net with spin and placement until he can finish the point hard. To achieve that he needs upwards "snap" motion

KK is away from the table so he could try harder/longer swings if he wanted to, when u put pressure on a defender u have plenty of time to come back to neutral position, KK's example is a different thing from ariel's, although their strokes look similar they are not. 

KK in certain occasions loses contact with the ground after a shot, and ariel doesnt. 

I hope you are not comparing these two to reach a safe general conclusion, cause different situations handled by different players, require different/unique strategy and technique

my TT blog!

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 11:06am
I wonder if you are still trying to work out how XX does such a smooth stroke vs underspin. 
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 12:34pm

He does not arrest anything in my opinion. His focus is to place the ball with spin untill, as you said, finds a chance to finish the point. The upwards motion is accelerating during contact, I dont see any "short stop" that is forced by KK on purpose, there is absolutely no need for that. His strategy is to safely pass the ball over the net with spin and placement until he can finish the point hard. To achieve that he needs upwards "snap" motion

KK is away from the table so he could try harder/longer swings if he wanted to, when u put pressure on a defender u have plenty of time to come back to neutral position, KK's example is a different thing from ariel's, although their strokes look similar they are not. 

KK in certain occasions loses contact with the ground after a shot, and ariel doesnt. 

I hope you are not comparing these two to reach a safe general conclusion, cause different situations handled by different players, require different/unique strategy and technique

You describe it as a snap. To me, it looks snappy because they arrest their swing. What safe general conclusion are you implying? Please describe the differences in their stroke mechanics.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 12:43pm

I wonder if you are still trying to work out how XX does such a smooth stroke vs underspin. 

I'm not. I don't spend any more time investigating these topics beyond posting here and seeing what others think. There's KK's laborious way of brush looping JSH's chops, then there's XX's, shall we say, superior way. I loop my own way, but when I see others loop differently, more efficiently, I'm intrigued. That's how I learn and potentially improve.
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 7:26pm

Who is "trying"? What does XX has to do with the whole topic?
my TT blog!

TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 7:36pm

You describe it as a snap. To me, it looks snappy because they arrest their swing. What safe general conclusion are you implying? Please describe the differences in their stroke mechanics.

1. I dont "describe" it as a snap, it is a snap :)

2.Try to accelerate during contact and then "Arrest" the motion, you will find it inefficient to do so. Then try to accelerate during contact and let your muscles loose after contact. 

Play 20 FH topspins  against block  (middle to FH for example) over the table. First try with "arrest" motion and then do it by letting loose. Which way is more efficient?

3.I described the differences in my previous post, but again, KK has longer swing with harder contact and ariel shorter swing with softer contact.

KK uses less to none waist rotation and weight transfer when lifting heavy underspin in certain occasions, he almost jumps struggling to pass the ball over the net.Ariel on the other hand uses he whole body in FH loops, no matter the spin of the incoming ball
my TT blog!

TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 7:42pm

There is no additional acceleration in the 1st loop, but it is in the 2nd because she wants to get her opponent out of position fast, so she adds some extra power. 

1st and 2nd loop are quite different occasions, you cant say that Ariel is using the exact same technique on both of them

First loop is against backspin, 2nd loop is against topspin or nospin/light topspin
my TT blog!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 8:09pm
TTfrenzy,

Thanks for your responses.

When I say arrest, I'm referring to arresting the follow-through, not arresting the acceleration during contact. KK in the video doesn't arrest his follow-through (his swing is less snappy) when he loop-drives. His swing when he brush-loops is snappy.

You explain that Ariel snaps only to return to neutral quickly. I contend that the snap is also part of the swing mechanics that some players use when they concentrate on imparting heavy spin or overcoming heavy incoming spin. I use KK's snappy brush loops against JSH as an example.

You don't see the acceleration long after contact in Ariel's first loop. Fine. I'm not saying there is, just that it seems to me there is. In her second loop, to me, it seems that long after contact, her hand suddenly speeds up, just before she arrests her follow-through.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 8:23pm
Another example a snappy swing when brush-looping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfpXuiYap94

Again, to me, ZJK's swing seems more tense when he brush-loops. I attribute this to his arresting his follow-through. When hitting that one loop-drive, he follow-throughs more freely.

Why doesn't he snap when loop-driving the same way he does when brush-looping? Or, vice versa, why doesn't he follow-through more freely when brush-looping the way he does when loop-driving?

I'm saying that the snap serves a primary function, other than to facilitate returning to neutral.

Edited by racquetsforsale - 08/28/2014 at 8:23pm
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 8:58pm

Another example a snappy swing when brush-looping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfpXuiYap94

Again, to me, ZJK's swing seems more tense when he brush-loops. I attribute this to his arresting his follow-through. When hitting that one loop-drive, he follow-throughs more freely.

Why doesn't he snap when loop-driving the same way he does when brush-looping? Or, vice versa, why doesn't he follow-through more freely when brush-looping the way he does when loop-driving?

I'm saying that the snap serves a primary function, other than to facilitate returning to neutral.

Υes I understood that the whole "arrest" issue is refering to the follow through not the acceleration during contact, I never said the opposite so we agree on that :)

I think every player with deep understanding of technique, does not matter if you are ZJK ML or not, tries harder to lift an underspin ball against a defender with brush loop thus tensing his muscles more during contact.

Against a non defender, attacker/blocker countertopspin player you dont have the luxury of attacking too hard or brushing too hard with a huge motion jumping off the ground because the ball might get back very fast on you. 

Besides against topspin/sidespin/no spin balls from a non defender you dont have the time to get back on position (after a hard brush loop) so the most effective way is to drive loop with relaxed muscles. Or you can examine your choices some how like below

1.Drive loop very hard like Ryu or ma lin and risk getting the ball back at you with a block and you are out of position or win the point because the loop was too good for the opponent to counter.

2.Drive loop with shorter and relaxed motion and be ready quickly for the next shot, cornering/pressuring your opponent step by step untill you can finally smash the ball or finish the point at any way available

I think there is no general rule about the snap/arrest issue, you will "snap" and "arrest" differently against a blocker/countertopspin player and different against a chopper. 

I believe that when you play a point the ball somehow "talks" to you. Some balls are to be smashed with whole body,others to be loopdrived,others to be brushlooped with whole body,others to be brushlooped only with the arm and waist (like the semilong underspin balls which fall near the endline of the table) 

There are countless possible balls and countless possible ways to counter them :)
my TT blog!

Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 7:46pm
It looks to me like she has shortened her follow through to get to ready position and by looking at the timing of the returned ball it is a good thing she did.  It must be trained into her stroke because their is no time to think about stroke mechanics during the point. It appears to me to be a very efficient movement under the circumstances.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic