Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Rubber Cleaners - Pros and Cons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rubber Cleaners - Pros and Cons
    Posted: 08/28/2014 at 8:30pm
I was cleaning my rubber with Tibhar Top Clean, and an experienced member at my club advised that I should not use cleaners as they tend to dry out the rubber and reduce its life. This is the exact opposite of what the product and other similar products advertise, so I was a little confused. This member also suggested I use a small amount of olive oil instead, which seemed strange. I'm a relatively new player, and I would appreciate any thoughts you all have on this matter. Thanks!
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
Sponsored Links

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 8:40pm
Someone long ago posted that olive oil treatment on grippy euro rubber towards the end of its lifetime is actually good.

Putting a few layers of olive oil on the rubber (light coats) when the topsheet is no longer grippy and letting it dry completely restores some grip to it.

I wouldn't do it on rubbers that still have plenty of life in them, so think of olive oil treatment as your last resort when the rubber is pretty much dead.

I use Donic Bio Clean on my rubbers, supposedly it restores some tack/grip to the rubber. I haven't seen much difference in play after using it about once a week. Ofcourse if you play everyday and clean your rubbers everyday it will wear down faster, but not from the cleaner only. I personally hate seeing the sweat, dust, dirt from the ball dry up on my clean Tenergy.

I was also advised not to use FOAMY rubber cleaners as those do dry out rubber more than anything else.

Read plenty of comments here to use purified water for regular cleaning + once a month cleaning with a rubber cleaner for optimal results.

My 2cents.

Edited by DreiZ - 08/28/2014 at 11:03pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 9:36pm
I would speculate some rubber cleaners are designed to incur "damage" to your rubber.  Rubbers do oxidize over a period of time and I would guess there are "cleaners" (and I don't know which ones are) that remove a minuscule layer of the rubber so a new layer is exposed - much like some car wax are designed to peel the oxidized paint off your car so the paint looks shiny.
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 9:43pm
Just to extend on foamy cleaner, it should not be used on tacky rubbers because over long run use, it will affect the stickiness.

I use Nittaku Clean Mist, which is basically light soapy water for my rubbers - tacky and non-tacky. Seems effective and non abrasive.

Also, if you are thinking of using oil on your old rubbers, be mindful not to get it on your blade; this could mean removing the rubber before applying it and letting it dry first.
tamtam View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tamtam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 9:59pm
I clean my rubbers every day after playing, sometimes during rallies when they cautch sweat/ dust, by Nittaku or Butterfly cleaning foam. They got back their grips. After 2 months of usage, I apply Falco life expander to maintain the condition of rubbers. All workking very well for tensor rubbers, IMHO.
Blade: MJ SZLC
FH: Adidas Tenzone Ultra SF 2.0
BH: Adidas Tenzone Ultra SF 1.8
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 7:43am
I use foam cleaners a lot, several times a week, and they work great on both tacky and non-tacky rubbers. I get much longer life out of them than most people, so if there is any detrimental effect, I don't think it's great. I've used other type of cleaners, but they don't seem as effective. I also use the falco expander which works well, but don't use it too often.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
regiz.rugenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 7:43am

I've only used cleaners lately, and I did notice that this particular cleaner I was using leaves a tacky coating attop the surface of the rubber. it build up overtime and in effect slowed down the speed of my rubber. this was due to the coating got so sticky and was holding the ball longer.. likewise, it also lessen the touch feel onto the rubber and it made it even much heavier than it was. I guess it left some amount of it on my cleaning sponge, and so even as I clean my rubber with water, the sponge keep adding up those cleaning fluid onto the rubber.

What really didn't make sense the most is that the cleaning fluid was the one gripping the ball rather than the rubber itself.. totally none sense. I've discovered an effective cleaner though that you can buy from grocery or liqour stores. it does restore a lot of the rubbers grip rather than adding a coated layer on it. like this commercial cleaners it must be use on small amount only.. it does even make your rubber punchier depending on how much amount you use.

If you guys wanna know what that is.. PM me. Rubber companies might hunt me down if I post it here and letting you all know that something like this that trully restore the natural grip of rubbers do exist in stores.

On second thought, I guess I'll keep it secret and make a business out it of my own.. restoring rubbers, hmmm.. :D
Sorry, I hope I didn't tease anyone.. ;-|

Regiz°ᆗ
Rosewood_Carbon/Huricane_King   °FH:Vega_Japan/T64FX   °BH:OmegaV_Euro/Rasant
°°°°
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 8:19am
I have used rubber cleaners in the past, but just plane water and a soft table tennis sponge work great. I see absolutely no need to pay money for something that could adversely affect the rubber surface. Water is not going to to anything bad and cleans the fine dust just "fine."
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 8:40am
I use Distilled water mostly, and Reach cleaner about every 1 week of playing.   
Shifter
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 10:47am
I've noticed cleaners that I have to use a sponge on tend to dry out the rubber faster. A water based cleaner that you can simply wipe with clean hands will keep the rubber in good shape for a longer period of time. Also get some plastic sheets to cover the rubber after cleaning it.
TT_Junkie View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 2:24pm
"Also get some plastic sheets to cover the rubber after cleaning it."

+1.   I'm a big fan of these effective and innexpensive protectors!
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 3:46pm
About once a month, I apply rubber roller cleaner from Office Depot to clean the rubber and put the blade into a large Ziploc bag after.  
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 7:18pm
Don't use the foam sponge; use the microfiber sponge (JOOLA Cleaner Sponge; you can get the similar item from dollar store for $1.25).
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 7:37pm
I actually recommend no sponge at all. If your hands are clean just rub the cleaner around with the palm of your hand. Then just wave the paddle around in the air to dry it off before putting a film over the rubber for protection
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic