Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a racquet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Argothman Argothman wrote:

Does anyone know cheap, not too hard backhand rubbers that can produce good spin?

Don't waste time with equipment right now - just buy something - Focus Snipe is fine!  If you had something good, you would not know how to spin with it anyway!
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Does anyone know cheap, not too hard backhand rubbers that can produce good spin?

Don't waste time with equipment right now - just buy something - Focus Snipe is fine!  If you had something good, you would not know how to spin with it anyway!

bluntly said... but I agree

no matter what you get, you'll still need to develop proper stroke technique... if you think otherwise please feel free to post a video of yourself and let the forum members inspect your game.

Edited by DreiZ - 09/01/2014 at 5:58pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Exactly. This guy doesn't seem to be able to take a hint when half of the forum is telling him to just get focus 3 snipe for his backhand.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 9:28pm
If you've only got a year's worth of experience, it's in your best interest to buy something and just play with it.
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 10:07pm
I understand all your concerns, but I'm the kind of person that needs to be sure of things before I spend money. I always do my research 10x over before I make any kind of important purchase, and this is no different. I just want to be sure I get the best thing for my money, and there really isn't anything I can do about it. It's a matter of principle.

bns7117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bns7117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 10:07pm
ok, I think Next Level is definitely right, no need to waste money on equipments... tell you what, put LKT torrent on FH, palio CJ8000/Focus III snipe(if you can find palio Macro Era around 10 bucks here, get it instead) on bh. you should be all set...
bns7117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bns7117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 10:12pm
what do you think your approximate rating is? then we can start from there.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 10:31pm

...I just want to be sure I get the best thing for my money, and there really isn't anything I can do about it. It's a matter of principle.

There is no 'best thing', that's the problem. Differences among blades/rubbers are not that large if you stay away from extreme ends of the spectrum. Even if someone here observed/played with you for the last year (and we did not) we still won't be able to give you the 'best' option, only 'good enough', which is really all you need. 

I suspect you have a pretty bad case of  'paralysis by analysis'. May be just ask your coach to get you something and trust it?

P.S. How do you follow your principle when eating out? Some of the menus are pretty long... Smile
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by bns7117 bns7117 wrote:

He says he's been playing casually for about a year, so I'm guessing USATT 800-1000, 1200 at the very best.
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

...I just want to be sure I get the best thing for my money, and there really isn't anything I can do about it. It's a matter of principle.

There is no 'best thing', that's the problem. Differences among blades/rubbers are not that large if you stay away from extreme ends of the spectrum. Even if someone here observed/played with you for the last year (and we did not) we still won't be able to give you the 'best' option, only 'good enough', which is really all you need. 

I suspect you have a pretty bad case of  'paralysis by analysis'. May be just ask your coach to get you something and trust it?

P.S. How do you follow your principle when eating out? Some of the menus are pretty long... Smile

+ 1
I really believe there are no backhand and forehand rubbers. Its your technique and how you play with them. If there were true backhand rubbers companies would market them as such.
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 11:46pm
I agree about the differences bit, I find it hard to believe there are really major differences between rubbers.

I also agree about rubbers, I guess I'll just get a cheap backhand rubber like cj800/macro era/snipe and go from there. No need to overly analyze something that probably isn't as critical as I think at this point. In regards to the person asking about eating at restaurants, I just get the same thing that I like every time. :D

I have no idea what my rating is, I think I can get a better picture once I get the setup and practice with it a little bit.

Tell you what, once I get the equipment and get used to it I'll take a video of myself playing for you guys to critique, I'm always open to improvement! I don't think I'll have a real rating for a while, I probably won't play a tournament for a while.

Thanks for all the help guys! I think I've found something that should hold me in good stead for quite a while, depending on how much coaching/training I get.
bns7117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bns7117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

Originally posted by bns7117 bns7117 wrote:

He says he's been playing casually for about a year, so I'm guessing USATT 800-1000, 1200 at the very best.

oh, i skipped the first paragraph. lol thanks

well, i would just get Gambler Arylate carbon(32 bucks, and the blade color looks very decent to me) + LKT torrent and Palio Cj8000/Focus Snipe then. those rubbers will do just fine for you. the whole setup should cost less than 60 bucks.

no need to keep consuming your time on more research, to be honest, if you have only around a year's experience, you can't really take advantages of more expensive setups anyway like next level said.

Although Ejing is fun, but how many of us can really utilize the benefits of expensive nice rubbers that can offer?

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 11:57pm

I understand all your concerns, but I'm the kind of person that needs to be sure of things before I spend money. I always do my research 10x over before I make any kind of important purchase, and this is no different. I just want to be sure I get the best thing for my money, and there really isn't anything I can do about it. It's a matter of principle.

"Expensive is not necessarily better.  I've seen too many players spend a fortune on equipment to buy things that didn't suit them anyway.  The first and most important question you should ask yourself is: what am I trying to do with my game?" - William Henzell, 10+ times Australian TT Champion,  TTEdge.com

The thing is that you can't answer William's question without significant experience playing and developing an understanding of what you do and don't do well.  So what we recommend is to buy something basic that isn't too expensive or fast to play with and spend money on lessons (or get a good friend with a high rating to teach you for free).  If/when upgrading will make a difference, you will realize it because you will be so consistent with your strokes that you will want to hit the ball harder.

The problem is that differences in blades/rubbers are not necessarily about quality - most of it is just 
advertising targeted at people who have money and either like to try different stuff or don't know better.  Do realize that before 2008, speed glue was legal and most pros used to buy and change rubbers frequently - the most important thing was the glue job and rarely was the rubber being used a serious consideration as long as it had good grip.  After speed glue was banned, rubbers with built in tension to replicate what it was like to use speed glue were made and this presented a chance for manufacturers to differentiate themselves.  The good thing was that it also gave amateurs access to the benefits of speed glue type performance without being forced to deal with the hassle of gluing.  The down side is that the advertising brainwashes many people who don't need the equipment into thinking that the differences between this or that rubber or that blade are more scientific and precise than they actually are.

Bojan Tokic (2800+ USATT) uses a Tibhar Stratus Powerwood (under $50 on some websites).  Kanak Jha (14, 2500-2600 USATT) uses the Innerforce ZLC (well over $150, sometimes over $200).  Some good players use Korbels, others may use Timo Boll ALCs and Viscarias.  My favorite blade (best results) cost $30 blades up until when I first broke 1900 - I also used more expensive ones briefly, but I realized later that they were part of my inability to loop and gave them away.  My current blade costs $100 from official channels, but I bought it for $50 and I don't feel outclassed by more expensive blades/

Good players don't change blades when new technology come out because the blade change would force them to change their very mature and sensitive technique.  They just stay with the same kind of blade as long as possible and may make changes in the offseason if they like to change - some just never do.

The main problem is that if you use a fast racket (OFF to OFF+ blade+rubbers) to start with, while it might be higher quality, you also run a real risk of missing many shots because you don't have the technique to time the ball properly.  Your shots will go too fast and then you will feel discouraged because your consistency is low.  On the other hand, like some players, you may focus on only the good shots you make and forget all the ones you miss.  IF you will practice a lot, this will not be a problem.  If not, you will lose a lot of confidence when a slower blade could have helped you keep the ball on the table and develop good form and timing before going to something faster.

Hopefully, the below video will help:

Cybershape Carbon
bns7117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bns7117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 11:59pm
if you did end up buying LKT torrent because of my recommendation, and you don't like it, i promise i will buy it from you. :D just make sure it's black(heard it's tackier than red). lol
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2014 at 12:00am
Originally posted by viva viva wrote:

Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

+ 1
I really believe there are no backhand and forehand rubbers. Its your technique and how you play with them. If there were true backhand rubbers companies would market them as such.

Every time I write this, someone usually comes out to argue with me and say I am wrong.  Of course there are no forehand and backhand rubbers because there is no single way to play with the forehand or backhand.  Where is that person now that someone else is stating the same opinion?LOL
Cybershape Carbon
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2014 at 10:00am
I learned a long time ago that there are folks who are simply pre-convinced that they have to have "the best".  They usually define  "best" as either "most expensive", "highest rating in the Paddle Palace (or Butterfly) catalog", or "whatever their favorite player is using".  None of these definitions have any merit whatsoever for players in the "relatively new to TT" category.  

No amount of well-reasoned, experience-driven advice is likely to change their minds. 

I always suggest that new players get some relatively affordable allaround-ish combo to learn the basics with.  I then strongly suggest they get some coaching and start trying to perfect the basics. Some listen, some ignore, some argue...  I'll sell them anything they want, but feel obligated to at least suggest something reasonable.

bes
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2014 at 10:32am

Same as cheap not too hard forehand rubbers. 
SolidEvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolidEvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2014 at 1:13pm

+ 1
+2 or more?

You are free to have 2 'identical' racquets, just with BH/FH rubber switched in colour.
Being free to change these between matches.

Not to mention twiddlers, where would they be if there was a dedicated backhand rubber.
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2014 at 9:19pm
Been pretty satisfied with Palio rubbers, which are very affordable, and durable.

http://fastpaddle.com/tt/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_1_5

HK1997 Biotech and Hidden Dragon, to me, are fine choices for the BH.

For blades, I recommend Donic Appelgren Allplay with the non-Senso handle and the Persson Power Allround.

Edited by racquetsforsale - 09/02/2014 at 9:21pm
bns7117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bns7117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2014 at 9:54pm
agreed with Racquestsforsale, palio rubbers have been really good to me, both in price and performance. Prefer this brand over all other chinese brands.

And with Palio Blitz on FH, you can have some very good third ball attacks or loops.
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2014 at 12:29am
729 Aurora is seriously good and modern for the backhand.  Much like T05FX.  I can hit the exact same shots with 90% of the speed.  Maybe think about what you want to play with in a few years when you hone your skills and buy something similar with more control.
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2014 at 5:03am
Originally posted by SolidEvolution SolidEvolution wrote:

+ 1

+2 or more?

You are free to have 2 'identical' racquets, just with BH/FH rubber switched in colour.
Being free to change these between matches.

Not to mention twiddlers, where would they be if there was a dedicated backhand rubber.

May be if you are used to Chinese rubbers than it is easier to pick different types for FH and BH. One standard setup recommendation for developing players is hard and tacky H3 for FH and some variation of softer non-tacky 729 for BH on an all wood blade. Actually there are many Chinese rubbers said to be designed for BH. One of my favourite is Sword Backhand II. It even has red sponge and looks cool. I have bought some cheap Butterfly rubbers (on Butterfly standard) like Sapphira for BH and money wasted indeed.
bns7117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bns7117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2014 at 11:22am
Originally posted by eonblue eonblue wrote:

729 Aurora is seriously good and modern for the backhand.  Much like T05FX.  I can hit the exact same shots with 90% of the speed.  Maybe think about what you want to play with in a few years when you hone your skills and buy something similar with more control.

I respectfully disagree that 729 is "seriously good and modern for backhand".

I got my friend an aurora due to the good reviews of it, and it was very slow due to the non-grippy heavy topsheet... the sponge was actually not bad, he put the aurora on powerwood, and did not like the rubber at all, it has very little spin and very low speed even on powerwood...
bns7117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bns7117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2014 at 11:27am
Agree with TurboZ that sword has some good rubbers, although i liked palio better, but i still like sword rubbers better than 729 brand...
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2014 at 10:15am
Is TT japan a legit seller here? www.amazon.com/Butterfly-7100-Petr-Korbel-FL-Blade/dp/B000AS886A

Also this H3 neo from fastpaddle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0078ZFYPG/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I'm planning on buying from amazon, I just want to know if these are legit sellers that sell quality products.
bns7117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bns7117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2014 at 10:39am
if you want H3 rubbers, ask Rich215, he has some brand new ones selling at 12-15 bucks including shipping.

yes, TT japan is legit, but international shipping takes too long/

why don't you go to the for sale section and ask for rubbers and blade? lots of forum members selling BRAND NEW STUFF for cheap, and lots of us from u.s., so shipping is faster.
flatstyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatstyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2014 at 10:40am
You can save some money on the rubber buying directly from Fast Paddle instead of going through Amazon.  Currently H3 Neo is $18 plus minimal shipping...  I have had great service from Fast Paddle.
[SIZE]V-14 Pro C-pen

FH MX-P

BH Vega Europe/ Fastarc S1
flatstyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatstyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2014 at 10:44am
...and I just checked, they also have the Korbel for less than on Amazon.
[SIZE]V-14 Pro C-pen

FH MX-P

BH Vega Europe/ Fastarc S1
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2014 at 1:17pm
Yeah, I might just buy it from Megaspin. I like buying from amazon, but what can you do...

It this legit Palio Macro Era? I ask because the other shops I saw sold it for $30-40, this is significantly cheaper. http://ttnpp.com/store/german-style/341-palio-macro-era-made-in-germany-6.html

EDIT: the durability of PME seems to be slightly short, I might just get a cheaper rubber like CJ8000 and call it a day for now.

Also, what hardness should I get? I'm leaning towards softer.

Lastly, what glue should I buy? I don't have any glue on hand, I'm at school right now.

EDIT: I think I'm going to get donic vario clean. It's cheap and has decent reviews that seem to indicate it doesn't have a ton of problems.

Edited by Argothman - 09/04/2014 at 1:44pm
bns7117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bns7117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2014 at 1:50pm
I bought Palio Macro Era from Rich215, he still has a red one(prolly selling for around 10 bucks) at around 85-90 percent left, also he has BRAND NEW H3 regular and Neos too. just letting you know, you can count on him, very nice guy.

TTNPP is pretty legit, its a hongkong-based seller.

I used Elmer's Rubber Cement, only 3 bucks, works fine for amateurs like me. If you need water-based glues, you gonna spend at least 12-15 bucks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic