Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Yinhe Big Dipper - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 21>
Author
htfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2015 at 8:28pm
for the old celluloid ball i find moon pro very good on my backhand. not sure how it will play with the new ball as i have not had much time with it yet.

sadly most of the places i used to be able to get moon pro have been out of stock for a while :( but i reckon a tacky/grippy rubber with a slightly softer sponge my be what i'm after for my backhand ... may get a 38/39 degree bd to test, anyone out there given it a serious try on the backhand?
denial ... it's not just a river in north africa
Sponsored Links

RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 11:34pm
Just put this rubber on my new Viscaria yesterday and one thing I noticed was after applying the first layer of rubber cement, the black (with blue sponge) domed up quite a bit more than the red (with yellow sponge) with roughly the same amount of rubber cement applied.  Anyone have any thoughts about that?

I'll be playing for an hour during lunch and I'll give my performance observations afterward.  I'll also be looking to see if the Red plays any different from the Black.
BTY Viscaria: FH Black Battle II / BH Red 802-40 2.0mm

Galaxy W-6: FH: FH/BH Yinhe Big Dipper 38*
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 11:44pm
I wouldn't use Rubber Cement given the amount of tuner that seems to be present already but let us know how it goes.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 2:29am
Just spent some time with the setup, and here are my initial impressions.

Speed: A bit faster than Yinhe Moon and LKT Red Diamond.  I have not tried other tensors, but I feel that there's plenty of controllable speed here.  Some of my over the table touch shots flew a little past the table, but overall I'd say this rubber has a good amount of gears.

Touch/Control:  I'd say this rubber is really controllable.  I was able to hit the spots I wanted with ease.  I didn't have to pay super close attention to racquet angle, even with considering it's faster than my previous setup.

Throw:  Some people claim that this rubber has a very high throw.  That may have been the case with the earlier batches, but I didn't really feel that was the case here.  It was more of a medium high throw with a strong drop, which helps a lot with my backhand.  I feel it has less throw than Moon, but definitely much higher than Red Diamond which basically throws the ball straight into the net if you put enough on it.

Forehand:  Looping back backspin was really easy with this rubber and the 40+ ball.  I was able to pick up any of my opponents chops with a nice touch loop back.  Not as much dwell as with Moon but that didn't bother me since it was dwelly enough.  Over the table flicks were impressive.  If my opponent served short, I was able to flick/drive it back with confidence.

Backhand:  I feel like this rubber can excel as a backhand rubber as well.  Because the throw isn't too high, blocks found their way onto the table.  I had trouble sometimes with Moon because the ball would pop up too high on backhand blocks.  Driving/looping with my backhand was very good and my opponents could see the difference in speed.

Spin/Pushes/Chops: It has a good amount of spin.  Nothing ground breaking, but at this point I don't think anything is ground breaking enough with the new 40+ ball.  It pushes well over the table.  I wouldn't recommend it for chopping though.  It just didn't feel right.  Until I can hit a 40+ ball with a good banana curve, I don't think anything will be spinny enough for me.

Serves:  I was able to execute all of my go-to serves with ease.  I'm still getting used to the new 40+ ball so my strategy has changed a bit.  I can't rely on my spinny serves for as many points as I used to, but I think that's the case for everyone.

Overall:  While I wasn't as enamored with it as I was when I initially played with Moon, it's still a very good, overall rubber.  I wish it had a slightly higher throw, its medium/high throw makes it versatile enough to use on both forehand and backhand.  It does just about everything (except chopping) very well.  Looping is practically free, blocking is really good, and it has a good amount of speed.  One thing I will mention is that I most likely got sheets from the newer batch (Cole can maybe confirm this since I ordered from him), and I hear the older initial batches were softer and a lot more dynamic and could be why earlier reviews say this has a high throw.

For a rubber that costs $20-$22, and one of the first ones formulated for the new ball, I think it's well worth it. 

Speed: 8.5/10

Spin: 8/10

Control: 8.5/10

FH: 9/10

BH: 9/10

Overall Impression: 8.5/10 (this is not an average)

Edited by RyKnocks - 03/30/2015 at 2:31am

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 8:52am
Actually, this newer batch is softer like the first batch.  Maybe not quite AS soft, but softer than the middle batch I got.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 10:33am
Nice review!

About the throw - to some degree, it probably depends on your regular rubber choice, and it's definitely related to technique too.  My FH is too brushy in general and I have used tacky chinese on that wing for many years in the past.  Coming from that, BD has the elastic response and higher throw I've always wanted from a tacky FH rubber, but without the hassle of tuning/boosting.

The last time I used regular Moon was a while ago (although I'm sticking it on junior's blades all the time), but I recall it had a lower throw than BD, but I put that down to my overly-brushy technique.  Although we are seeing some slightly worrying signs of QC issues (or perhaps Yinhe are intentionally changing the formula), so it's quite possible that my first batch rubbers play a bit differently to the current ones.

Ryan - with BD's semi-tackiness and increase in speed, do you feel it's a better fit than Moon to the 40+ ball?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 10:39am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I´m quite frustrated of Euro ESN tensor with this new ball so im planning to switch to Chinese rubbers once again.  I´m struggling on short game even more that before with this crappy rubber due to the poor grip of Euro ESN.  I was a happy Grip-S Europe user, but quit using because of their random QC´S.  Could you compare BD with discontinued GSE?

I also wonder why There´s barely any info about H8, is it the same rubbish as this H3-50 or  new Skyline-60?

H8 has a totally new sponge and topsheet from DHS, but it's an evolution of H3.  The topsheet is slightly softer and the sponge is a tiny bit more elastic, but it isn't tuned like H3 Neo so people say that it ends up feeling a bit slower.

I have a Skyline-60 here with a soft sponge, and it's crazy elastic compared to the original Skyline.  I wish I'd ordered the harder sponged one TBH.  I was really surprised - it feels markedly different to H3-50.  Obviously, these are all tinarc sponges and so are more like DHS's attempt at a hybrid Jap/Chinese rubber.  I've seen random pics of H3-60 knocking around the internet recently, which could be interesting.

I think that ultimately, the DHS stuff recently are untuned and a bit slow.  You need a fast blade, or an allround style, or to tune them.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Nice review!

About the throw - to some degree, it probably depends on your regular rubber choice, and it's definitely related to technique too.  My FH is too brushy in general and I have used tacky chinese on that wing for many years in the past.  Coming from that, BD has the elastic response and higher throw I've always wanted from a tacky FH rubber, but without the hassle of tuning/boosting.

The last time I used regular Moon was a while ago (although I'm sticking it on junior's blades all the time), but I recall it had a lower throw than BD, but I put that down to my overly-brushy technique.  Although we are seeing some slightly worrying signs of QC issues (or perhaps Yinhe are intentionally changing the formula), so it's quite possible that my first batch rubbers play a bit differently to the current ones.

Ryan - with BD's semi-tackiness and increase in speed, do you feel it's a better fit than Moon to the 40+ ball?

Ill probably change my opinion about it after playing it for a but longer. So far I like it, but the EJ in me tells me I need to explore more lol.

As for Moon v BD for the 40+ ball, I think BD is more suited for the 40+ ball. The game is definitely slower with the new ball so if you're looking for speed then BD is better for it. I do think Moon is still a great rubber though.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 3:38pm
So you think Moon is spinnier than BD?
Cybershape Carbon
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

So you think Moon is spinnier than BD?

I don't think Moon is spinnier than BD. I'd say BD might be slightly spinnier but overall they feel about the same. BD definitely feels more tacky out of the box.

comodoensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comodoensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2015 at 12:55pm
Currently I'm using bd h38 as my main setup, after some overboosting incident with my precious h3 non neo h41

I'm very much agree that it needs stiff blades, or hard top ply to utilize this rubber. It is spinny enough for playing with celluloid balls. It behaves like a real hybrid rubber, brush it and you have a spinny loopz chinese style one. I don't know how's other people who use this rubber feel, but I found no difference between chinese rubbers in this department.... and somehow my blade is the apropriate one, despite the anomali my mate says, that the one I got is significantly feels harder than the one they have/had. Actually I've predicted it the first time I got it just by looking at the wood graon, damn I love limba top ply, they cannot lie to you about their feel on ball contact just looking at the grains LoL

When you drive, this is something interesting. It's fast, even when I tested several plastic balls with bd. Its speed definitely above any chinese rubbers I've tried, even sword's rubbers which is well known for being fast compared to the competitors, and also h3 of course.

It really helps my weird playstyle. Not too soft for forehand, and not too hard for backhand when I twiddle, because I use short/medium pips on the other side, mostly backhand, and occasionally on the forehand to quickly end the rally and some deception when engaging fast rallies.

Fyi, I'm using adidas challenge speed, BD h38 with a pretty thick layer of latex glue, and 729 legend 105 pips. Playstyle : short/medium pips twiddler close to table counterhitter, most dangerous when putting my pips on backhand for counterhitting, and sometimes drop/chop-block when it gets in my mind during rallies. Chinese style looping on forehand, whacker backhand, and foolishly sometimes engaging mid distance rally forehand loopdrive-backhand loopdrive/flat hit with pips tan ruiwu-like style minus the hyperactive nature of his LoL, and rarely chops except when out of position; chop to slow the tempo down, rushing back to the front like there's tomorrow, and stick to the plan : I loop/whack you die, you loop I slap you die LoL Planning to change the pips once it got more broken pips, looking for a harder sponge one to make my forehand pips whacking more 'tune in' with my preference, medium-hard to hard sponge on forehand.

Maybe I'll post my video later, can't wait to test this new phone's camera
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2015 at 2:29am
 ? BD and Tau - they are  similars ? Thanks.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2015 at 8:48am
Tau has about the same press hardness as 40 deg BD. But you will see the difference when you bounce a ball. Tau has quite a bit of tensor catapult, although not as much as the many powerful models out there. That makes it not as easy with short game. It is fast and hard with little dwell time. BD feels softer in play and more forgiving. It has more gear and user friendly.

Edited by TurboZ - 04/15/2015 at 8:51am
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2015 at 9:37am
It should be nice to know if anyone tried to boost it and how it performs with a couple of layers.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2015 at 11:30am
it's already very domed.  Not sure it wants more booster.  I think it would be hard to stick

DrBacterius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBacterius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2015 at 3:40pm
Does somebody know a place to buy it and the possibility to choose sponge hardness?
OSP Virtuoso
T8O Max / Ventus Spin 1.8

My Feedback
roypnoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roypnoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2015 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by DrBacterius DrBacterius wrote:

Does somebody know a place to buy it and the possibility to choose sponge hardness?

www.colestt.com
S2 | Virtuoso | M3
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2015 at 4:36pm
http://www.princett.com/EN/USD/product/Galaxy-Big-Dipper-Pips-in-Table-Tennis-Rubber-223.html
Saltebor1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltebor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2015 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by roypnoy roypnoy wrote:

Originally posted by DrBacterius DrBacterius wrote:

www.colestt.com

Very reliable source. I bought many rubbers from hist store. Fast shipping , no fake product.
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2015 at 7:26pm
Can anyone give a report about the durability of the factory booster effect on the Big Dipper... 

I am asking because for example... for me as a FH rubber Sanwei T88 i is absolutely amzingly awesome when NEW - it's just astonishing..... however, this only lasts for 10-14 days... and then it starts getting harder, less dynamic, the ball loses dwell time..... the spin is there but there is no dwell anymore....

I tried to reboost with 2 layers of Falco and it helped but still not the lovely dwell of when its new.... 

How long does the Big Dipper last at peak performance before needing to be reboosted? Does the reboost work well? and is it playable when the  factory boosting dies out?

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Saltebor1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saltebor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

Can anyone give a report about the durability of the factory booster effect on the Big Dipper... 

I am asking because for example... for me as a FH rubber Sanwei T88 i is absolutely amzingly awesome when NEW - it's just astonishing..... however, this only lasts for 10-14 days... and then it starts getting harder, less dynamic, the ball loses dwell time..... the spin is there but there is no dwell anymore....

I tried to reboost with 2 layers of Falco and it helped but still not the lovely dwell of when its new.... 

How long does the Big Dipper last at peak performance before needing to be reboosted? Does the reboost work well? and is it playable when the  factory boosting dies out?

I'm using BD for more then 2 months,. so far it plays better then in the beginning. It become a little softer and slower, but still plays awesome. No reglue, stick with water glue only once. It feels and plays like a well boosted H3 rubber but without loosing this "touch" after end of day.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 8:27pm
It must take a long time to break in? I tried a sheet of BD in 39 I believe today for the first time, and I was NOT feelin' it. Side by side with Battle 2 in the harder selection, I MUCH preferred battle 2. Both black. I gave it a full session, and then played some matches afterwards with my normal racket. 

I chalked it up to just needing a lot of break in time like a lot of chinese rubbers do, but still B2 played pretty great out of the pkg. Both slower than my TG3 for sure, but still really good and great spin. 
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 10:05pm
Is your tg3 on the neo sponge? I have a sealed one. I was under theimpression that bd is faster than skyline tg3

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Saltebor1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltebor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 10:04am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

It must take a long time to break in? I tried a sheet of BD in 39 I believe today for the first time, and I was NOT feelin' it. Side by side with Battle 2 in the harder selection, I MUCH preferred battle 2. Both black. I gave it a full session, and then played some matches afterwards with my normal racket. 

I chalked it up to just needing a lot of break in time like a lot of chinese rubbers do, but still B2 played pretty great out of the pkg. Both slower than my TG3 for sure, but still really good and great spin. 

Don't give up on BD, just try few more times :)
Saltebor1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltebor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 10:05am
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

Is your tg3 on the neo sponge? I have a sealed one. I was under theimpression that bd is faster than skyline tg3
it is faster
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 10:34am
much

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 10:38am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

Sorry, even if your TG3 is rocket boosted, that is unlikely, unless you are using the 40 degree version of BD.
Cybershape Carbon
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 10:56am
Sorry, My Tg3 is neo, but it is boosted 40H, as it's commonly compared to boosted hurricane/skyline. I definitely plan on giving it some more run time. But just thought it was weird that it played soooo slow out of the package, while the notably tackier Battle 2 was a good deal quicker. Just opposite of what I expected. 
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 10:59am
You guys did say there was a slower batch? It's 39 hardness. My Tg3 is 40 hardness. It's definitely not rocket boosted haha, and it's definitely a LOT faster. 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2015 at 12:12pm
how broken in is your tg3?  are you comparing used against new?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 21>
  Share Topic