Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yinhe Big Dipper - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>
Author
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 9:27am
just a few minute trying this rubber on stiga super carbon
water base glue , no speed glue or tuner added.
it's a faster chinese rubber with more european feel.
It's not definitly europe rubber,it stikcy. $low for my taste.
High throw. Spin is deadly on driving and looping. Smashing and fast topspin is to slow for my taste.

God Crossbow sponge - I expect something faster that this.

Score 6/10 worth a try if you want to try something new, 

I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
Sponsored Links

huri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 11:45am
hey guys from where can i order 39deg version ? 
Dhs PG 7 FL, 90g
DHS H3 National 2.15 40°,Dian Chi applied
Tenergy 05 FX 1.9
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Crowsfeather Crowsfeather wrote:

just a few minute trying this rubber on stiga super carbon
water base glue , no speed glue or tuner added.
it's a faster chinese rubber with more european feel.
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">It's not definitly europe rubber,it stikcy. $low for my taste</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">High throw. Spin is deadly on driving and looping. Smashing and fast topspin is to slow for my taste.

</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">God Crossbow sponge - I expect something faster that this.</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Score 6/10 worth a try if you want to try something new, </span>
</span>
</span>

Good review but for my style, my score is much higher. Excellent rubber for drive looping. Now if I can fix my slow topspin problem, I will switch to this for a while.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 1:10pm
How does this rubber compare to other hybrid rubbers like BW II, Thors, Tau and Vega China?

Speed, Spin and Weight?
CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 8:04am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

The feel is quite different to all of them, but is probably closest to Vega Asia. The main thing to point out is that BD supports both a brushing and a driving style. One of the joys I've found in using it is that when hitting a loop, I can consciously choose to either hit through with the sponge or brush with the topsheet, and you get a good quality ball in either case. This can be difficult for the opponent, because they get different arcs and bounces coming at them with high spin. I think Vega Asia is the only one on that list which can do that kind of thing to some degree, but not to the level of BD.

I am switching to this rubber on both forehand and backhand as my primary set up.  Tenergy 05 will be my back up - I think the habits I develop with this rubber will help when I go back to 05.  The control is just amazing for me.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 8:34am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The feel is quite different to all of them, but is probably closest to Vega Asia. The main thing to point out is that BD supports both a brushing and a driving style. One of the joys I've found in using it is that when hitting a loop, I can consciously choose to either hit through with the sponge or brush with the topsheet, and you get a good quality ball in either case. This can be difficult for the opponent, because they get different arcs and bounces coming at them with high spin. I think Vega Asia is the only one on that list which can do that kind of thing to some degree, but not to the level of BD.

I am switching to this rubber on both forehand and backhand as my primary set up.  Tenergy 05 will be my back up - I think the habits I develop with this rubber will help when I go back to 05.  The control is just amazing for me.

Considering the quality of the end product it produces, it's surprisingly easy to use.

How are you finding the Vega blades?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 9:58am
I've only ever tried the Vega Euro with the Big Dipper - the Euro came to me at 81g and it has koto outers so I never thought I would seriously use it, but it makes me work seriously at brushing the ball (which has always been my looping style) and it played differently enough from Tenergy initially that I was looking at it mostly as a forehand helper.  I don't know whether it's the tuning or just my strokes getting better, but I like the spin from brushing on both sides very much now and the ball stays very low.  I just need to be able to play balls with higher arc and stay disciplined with the brush and the dive.  I can brush as hard as I want with this rubber without being scared, and that I must brush.  Tenergy allows you to hit more easily.  So I want to use this to work on my forehand looping for a while.  It might be risky with the biggest tournament of the year coming up in a few weeks, but I think it is the right decision.

Vega Pro was love at first use.  I used it with Rasant Grip initially, moved to Tenergy 05, and had great results with it.  It's definitely going to be my main blade.  I just don't want to move my rubbers around right now.  I got it at my preferred 87-88g and I've had some excellent matches with it.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/13/2014 at 10:01am
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 10:09am
Excellent. I came THIS close to ordering a Vega Pro. It was in and out of my TT11 shopping cart many times. I've made a real effort to dial the speed down this season, or I'd probably have gone back to it. It's still on my list of options for the poly ball though.

It might be risky with the biggest tournament of the year coming up in a few weeks, but I think it is the right decision

I salute your bravery and raise a glass to you good sir!   
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 10:27am

Excellent. I came THIS close to ordering a Vega Pro. It was in and out of my TT11 shopping cart many times. I've made a real effort to dial the speed down this season, or I'd probably have gone back to it. It's still on my list of options for the poly ball though.

It might be risky with the biggest tournament of the year coming up in a few weeks, but I think it is the right decision

I salute your bravery and raise a glass to you good sir!   

From the US, with no VAT, the price for an SZLC-type blade like the Vega Pro from tt11 is a no brainer when you compare it to other blades.  When the Vega Tour comes out, it will be a game changer, I believe.

And of course, cheers, mate!

Edited by NextLevel - 11/13/2014 at 10:35am
Cybershape Carbon
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 10:38am
Is the Vega Pro flexi like the Xzi?  I find the Zxi a bit flexi for me.  Back to the topic, does the degree of hardness comparable to DHS?  Like H3 in 38d, but only Provincial\National has this hardness, so BD in 38d is very appealing to me.  
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 11:28am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Is the Vega Pro flexi like the Xzi?  I find the Zxi a bit flexi for me.  Back to the topic, does the degree of hardness comparable to DHS?  Like H3 in 38d, but only Provincial\National has this hardness, so BD in 38d is very appealing to me.  

imo, my 39 Deg (black one) feels like 36deg Tenergy type sponge.

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 11:33am
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Sound like 38d is a bit too soft for a Chinese type of rubber then.  Thanks,
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 11:38am
I took the risk and ordered 2 sheets the other day when there was a good deal on aliexpress.  Hopefully the seller is legit.  A 39 degree and a 40 degree.  I"m used to h3neo prov 39deg, so hopefully 1 will be close - probably the 40 based on what people are saying.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 11:46am

I disagree and think it is harder, but I am not a regular Chinese rubber user and use 05 regularly.  Maybe that's why I like it so much.
Cybershape Carbon
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 11:49am
Frankly, most Chinese manufacturers are capable of labeling whatever stock they have as whatever hardness it needs to be to fill the order. Can't always be sure by the marking.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 11:49am
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

I took the risk and ordered 2 sheets the other day when there was a good deal on aliexpress.  Hopefully the seller is legit.  A 39 degree and a 40 degree.  I"m used to h3neo prov 39deg, so hopefully 1 will be close - probably the 40 based on what people are saying.

Yup, I'd say you're spot on. 40deg is close to 39deg H3N. 38deg is softer than most Chinese rubbers, but still not soft like a 40ish degree tensor.
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 11:50am
*Shameless plug*

Anyone needs black 38 degree? I am not using mine.
$18 shipped to 48 states. Bought for $20 from eacheng.
NBSR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NBSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 10:37pm
Any updates on durability of this rubber? It's been a while.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 11:03pm
I don't play with mine everyday, but that is about to change. From what I have seen, durability is the last issue on my mind. It remains tacky if cared for and this is extremely helpful with generating spin on the 40+ ball.
Cybershape Carbon
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 11:25pm

Not agree. Not even close to T05's hardness. And a totally different feel. May be degree softer than DHS rubbers, not sure though. It's a new «hype» rubber. All of you will leave it soon Wink Back to basic gyus, back to basics.
Andy, I'm very interested in new Skyline 3-60. Waiting for your review. If you won't like it may be I'll give it a try LOL 
Joke. You're the man.
Still, the blue sponge neo provincial H3 from TTNPP (fake or not) is the best rubber for FH, I tried. But it bubbles so f..g easy Angry                  
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2014 at 4:38am
I know where you're coming from vic. I think the 38deg is close to T05 in hardness terms, but the feel is different. I think it's closer to a tensor than a tenergy for feel. Whereas the 40deg BD has more of a Chinese feel to it, and totally moves away from tenergy feel.

This is one of those rubbers where the target audience is a bit unclear. It isn't as stable as H3N, but doesn't have the euro feel of a tensor. It's somewhere in the middle. So if you're a player who relies on qualities at either end of that scale, you might be disappointed. However, if you're someone who has been looking for a "best of both worlds" solution, it might be worth a shot.

Maybe the best comparison is something like Spinart? Again, the feel isn't the same, but maybe this is the closest comparison. The 38 BD could be a Spinart-FX? Only for 1/4 of the cost, obviously.

Anyway, hype or not, I'm having my best season ever with Big Dipper. Could be a coincidence, but I can't see me moving away from it on the FH for a while.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2014 at 5:24am
I agree,

BD feels like best of both worlds.

It is too soft for me -as per my OP. I prefer harder (chinese style) rubbers.
Vega Pro is too soft, T05 is too soft, even Sigma II Euro is too soft, S2P was okay

and BD 39deg (2 from the same batch) was too soft for my liking.

It feels like the same hardness as T05 - which to me is too soft, so it all feels the same :p
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2014 at 5:27am
Originally posted by vic#74 vic#74 wrote:

Not agree. Not even close to T05's hardness. And a totally different feel. May be degree softer than DHS rubbers, not sure though.

So are you saying the 39 Deg BG is like 1 or 2 degrees softer than the 40 Deg DHS rubber?

I really wonder if you are using a fake BG or what
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2014 at 5:28am

I disagree and think it is harder, but I am not a regular Chinese rubber user and use 05 regularly.  Maybe that's why I like it so much.

Well, i'm from Hard to Soft and you are from Soft to Hard lol
IF not a 36 Deg Tenergy type of hardness, then surely it is a 37

PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2014 at 6:25pm

OK, so I tried a 40deg red Big Dipper last night.
Anyhoo, back to the subject. The 40deg is more linear, less bouncy, lower arc on big shots. IIt feels far more stable on brushing strokes, and spin is REALLY high here too (nice to have a fresh sheet). Hitting and blocking are easy to judge but need some effort from the user to be truly threatening.

Finally got my stock in.
Playing with a 40° for a few days now with NR50, and pretty much agree with AndySmith's review above:  Big shots have unpredictable arc for me so far, so I'm still adjusting...from far as well as close to table... Brushing strokes are far more dangerous now.  Also need to solve the counter hitting throw as well.  It's definitely an adjustment from Moon Pro as well as H3...Moon Pro/VlonS Blue are more similar to H3 than Big Dipper.  However, it does have a Euro feel to it... More like a Hybrid.  Not too Chinese cause topsheet is not so tacky.  It's a beautiful rubber to look at tho.Embarrassed  I will continue to play with this rubber as I believe it will have a break-in period.

I will have some untuned versions being boosted to see what the effects are.  I never boost, but have been lately playing with someone that does n really intrigued meWink

All will be posted in a new thread...
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 2:12am
For tournaments in the last 4 years I've used thors, grip-s europe, moon pro, 729 origin, and now 729 battle (ii) tacky; in that order.  I don't care for spinart at all.  The original black sponge blue whale ii was probably my all time favorite rubber (at least in the first 2 weeks of its life) but regular grip-s doesn't suit me.  Battle (II) Tacky is spectacular for my game but seems to lose spin within a month.

Is BD something I should try?  I was thinking 39 degree.
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 7:21pm
Are the different sponge hardnesses different colors? I am curious because my forehand black has blue sponge and my backhand red has yellow sponge and I want to keep future batches consistent with this. Just completed my first week with the change with decent results. Lots of video to analyze...
Cybershape Carbon
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2014 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by eonblue eonblue wrote:

For tournaments in the last 4 years I've used thors, grip-s europe, moon pro, 729 origin, and now 729 battle (ii) tacky; in that order.  I don't care for spinart at all.  The original black sponge blue whale ii was probably my all time favorite rubber (at least in the first 2 weeks of its life) but regular grip-s doesn't suit me.  Battle (II) Tacky is spectacular for my game but seems to lose spin within a month.

Is BD something I should try?  I was thinking 39 degree.

Eonblue, BD is somewhat similar to all of the rubbers you have played with, and it's a plus that BD doesn't break the bank=)

Are the different sponge hardnesses different colors? I am curious because my forehand black has blue sponge and my backhand red has yellow sponge and I want to keep future batches consistent with this. Just completed my first week with the change with decent results. Lots of video to analyze...

All black rubbers comes with blue sponge & red with yellow sponge regardless of hardness.  Good luck!
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 9:11am
I got some of this in last night and got to hit with it.  The rubber isn't sticky at all, but has a kind of waxy tack that spins well on solid contact.  Kind of reminded me of the finish of the old donic superspin ss40.

The sponge was dark blue on the black, orange on the red.  Kind of reminds me of old-school chinese sponge.  Seemed dense, but I noticed the sponge sunk easily on loops.  Often unpredictably.  Weight was about normal for the galaxy tuned rubbers...upper 60's.  Not my cup of tea, but it's no surprise.

I much preferred the Giant Dragon Topenergy I tried on the flip side.  Interestingly, even though I got the soft version, I still think it's harder than Dipper 38.  I found it much more predictable.  Both are absolutely swolen with tuner.

Edited by cole_ely - 11/21/2014 at 9:12am
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:51pm
I presume you tested with the cell ball?
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>
  Share Topic