Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yinhe Big Dipper - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 21>
Author
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 12:34am
I can tell you the 38 I got was heavily domed and didn't have clipped corners.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Sponsored Links

TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 7:59am
I just got another BD in 39 degree. This one is different with 8 corners while the first one has four without any cut. Also the sticker on the package is different as well. The first one is silver but the new one is plain white. Still got the sticky glue layer on the sponge that I like. No doom on this one. Can't remember exactly but probably not much on the old one either.
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 8:15am
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

I just got another BD in 39 degree. This one is different with 8 corners while the first one has four without any cut. Also the sticker on the package is different as well. The first one is silver but the new one is plain white. Still got the sticky glue layer on the sponge that I like. No doom on this one. Can't remember exactly but probably not much on the old one either.

That's exactly what I'm seeing as well.
finspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 8:46am
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

I just opened a BD 39deg black and noticed 2 things:
There is no dome and the 4 corners are cut off - making 8 edges much like commercial H3.  Is this normal?

You can see the original BD

jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 9:06am
how long will the tuning effect of the BD last?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 10:22am
I've had several sheets of BD in a variety of hardnesses (38,39,40), and they have all had 4 corners, pre-tuned, protector sheet on the sponge, slight dome. As can be seen in finspin's post above.

Fingers crossed that Yinhe aren't messing around with the formula...
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 10:33am
I have ordered another sheet of 40 degree from a different vendor and will see if this one has any dome look to it.  But my black one is already bubble up since I boosted it... :(

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 10:45am
I just checked my unopened 40deg and it has the corners cut off as well.  I didn't take it out of the inner packaging or remove the protective sheet on the sponge to see if it domes.
When I took the sheet off the 39 last night, I noticed that it's very sturdy and keeps the rubber completely flat - so much so that when I initially put it on my scale, the sides didn't flap over the edge of the scale.
tianhai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tianhai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 10:24pm
This is my BD 39 degree received last week
Greco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 12:24am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by typn typn wrote:

Originally posted by Greco Greco wrote:

I'll definetly give it a try, it can be a good roober for my fh. I'm also lookinf for a rubber for my bh since i don't like the Tg3 Neo i'm using at the moment. Any experiences with the Big Dipper as a backhand rubber? How about the Moon or the Saturn?

try Moon Speed on BH :)

+1, Moon Speed is a great BH rubber for me.

Just for info - what don't you like about the TG3N on your BH at the moment?

While i feel confortable with the H3Neo on my fh, i think a chinese rubber it's not the best for my bh. I use my bh for blocking, short game and some spinny strokes sometimes, i hope to develope more and better strokes in the future, nothing wrong with the tg3n, but i think a softer rubber could fit better on my bh. Just that, i'llbuy a new racket, so it's an opportunity to try something different.
And... What's the difference between the moon speed and the saturn? I've seen the saturn it's more expensive.

Back on topic, Has anyone tried the BD with the cell ball? I don't know when the new ball will arrive here, so i think i'll be using the celluloid ball for a while.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 12:35am
Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

Why do you ask? In my experience, its not worth worrying about.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 2:37am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I asked this question because I feel the BD would be a
less effective rubber if it loses its original bounciness and speed.
I would most likely boost the BD if it loses its speed
after a few months of usage.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 2:38am

Quite possible, but so far I have had no reason to complain.
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 2:43am

Quite possible, but so far I have had no reason to complain.

Do you use the BD on your forehand?
I used the BD on the backhand and it was great.
I tried the BD on the forehand and it did not feel so good
due to my european style forehand.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 2:56am
I use it on both sides.  I don't consider Big Dipper to be Chinese per se.  It fits both brush looping and hitting well, though brush looping with closed racket angles is what suits it best in my game(I almost lever loop with an open paddle in matched, but Big Dipper is good for that too in my limited training tests).  FWIW, most people would say that I have no forehand for my level.

In my experience, unless you aren't working on your game, time spent mastering how to use any rubber will reward you, especially when it doesn't suit your style.  Even if you only try in your spare time.
Cybershape Carbon
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 4:33am
TT season is over for me until next year.
Past few fun sessions I experimented a bit

Put the BD 39 Deg Black on a YE blade (YEO previously) and I took off that tuner layer.
Still incredibly fast.
That YE has SP and this BD, so as it is, the BD is my BH rubber and RPB with it is pretty ease to use (great spin and can get into gear to do a powerful top spin with ease).

When I serve (FH and twiddle afterwards), I still get a bit too much bounce for my liking.

On my primary setup, I now put on Vega China, that is more my tase of hard sponge rubber :)

So yeah, I think BD will work nicely on both FH and BH as it is more a hybrid rubber (even though Yinhe advertises it more like a hard tacky FH rubber)

Anyways, they will be a "provincial" version available in the near future - I didn't say anything, :p
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 5:23am
how does the Big dipper compare with the following
new chinese rubbers such as hurricane 8, hurricane 3-50,
skyline 3-60? Are the Big Dipper better than these rubbers?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 6:25am
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Anyways, they will be a "provincial" version available in the near future - I didn't say anything, :p

OK, so they've probably started to cut the corners off the current "commercial" sheet in order to make way for the provincial one later.

Not used H8. H3-50 and S3-60 are much, much tackier and a bit slower. Far less bouncy than BD. They have a similar hybrid approach to BD in that they use a modern sponge, but BD is livelier and faster due to the tuning and less tack.

For me, BD is the better rubber in general. It's cheaper and performs just as well, if not better in most areas. As Tony mentioned, BD is a bit bouncy and off/on in terms of gearing though. H3-50 and (to a lesser degree) S3-60 need a fast and/or hard blade (or tuning) to be anything faster than allround.

Don't get me wrong - I like H3-50 and S3-60, especially on a fast blade (I use a Hypertouch for this setup - testing with the plastic ball), but they need more effort to use than the BD.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 7:14am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

OK, so they've probably started to cut the corners off the current "commercial" sheet in order to make way for the provincial one later.

Not used H8. H3-50 and S3-60 are much, much tackier and a bit slower. Far less bouncy than BD. They have a similar hybrid approach to BD in that they use a modern sponge, but BD is livelier and faster due to the tuning and less tack.

For me, BD is the better rubber in general. It's cheaper and performs just as well, if not better in most areas. As Tony mentioned, BD is a bit bouncy and off/on in terms of gearing though. H3-50 and (to a lesser degree) S3-60 need a fast and/or hard blade (or tuning) to be anything faster than allround.

Don't get me wrong - I like H3-50 and S3-60, especially on a fast blade (I use a Hypertouch for this setup - testing with the plastic ball), but they need more effort to use than the BD.

Thanks for the feedback.
Good to hear than the BD is better rubber than h3-50 and
s 3-60, but also at a cheaper price as well.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 9:04am
jackwong23,

It might not mean anything but I stopped using T05 because of this rubber.
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 9:45am

jackwong23,

It might not mean anything but I stopped using T05 because of this rubber.

I AM not surprised by your decision. The BD is a good rubber and it is very
cheap as well.

By the way , i have just ordered tenergy 05 for my for my forehand
as I have not adjusted to the BD for my forehand side yet. When i
am fully comfortable with the BD for the forehand side I will use it for my forehand as well.

Edited by jackwong23 - 12/06/2014 at 12:24pm
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 11:21am
I would describe this rubber as the gleam of hope for the plastic era. It might be the precursor to many rubbers that will make us forget celluloid. Yinhe has done a good job.

We tested it today, I am going to write about the 40 degree version. I do not know if what I think holds for the 39 and 38 degree versions but the 40 is definitely made for the plastic ball and does not work with the celluloid. I played a match with it with the cellu ball and it does not bite enough. As if the ball was too smooth to sink into the rubber. This might explain why others put this rubber down. When using the poly XSF ball, BD starts working.

Very difficult trajectory for the opponents on loops, you let your hand go and the ball will go where you want it to and there is plenty of speed.

It was on a Yasaka AR 40 blade with JP02 max on the other side. The JP02 does not work as well as the BD. I believe it is still for the cellu ball. I have found the JP02 to be less spinny, less fast and somehow late on ball contact compared to BD.

I am thinking about buying Moon Speed in 38 or 39 hardness.

And also Saturn Pro, does anyone have any experiences with it? Is that for the plastic ball?

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 12/06/2014 at 12:27pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 12:25pm
The BD is an excellent rubber for this low price.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

I just checked my unopened 40deg and it has the corners cut off as well.  I didn't take it out of the inner packaging or remove the protective sheet on the sponge to see if it domes.
When I took the sheet off the 39 last night, I noticed that it's very sturdy and keeps the rubber completely flat - so much so that when I initially put it on my scale, the sides didn't flap over the edge of the scale.

What I got from Cole is perfectly square.  Either they are making new batches or you have something from a different vendor.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 4:21pm
Good review from Hans there. I agree with everything he says - apart from the comment about the celluloid ball. BD works really well with cell for me.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 4:26pm
It worked well for me as well, though I was largely committed to 05 for cell. I had a really heavy push with BD.
Cybershape Carbon
Gustau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gustau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 6:46pm
Reading the descriptions, and looking at the pictures, the rubber reminds me a lot of the Kokutaku 868 Tokyo Super-tacky (a mouthful of a name!) that I am currently using in my FH rubber. Though it says "super-tacky" in the name, the ability to pick up the ball was lost after the first couple of sessions, though seemingly this has not affected its playing properties, namely, very good control on active shots, poor on passive blocks, good looping and counterlooping when hitting with big swing, generally slower and much more linear tan tensors (hence the improved control)...
But I digress. What I wanted to ask is, if anybody has played with the Kokutaku as well as with BD, could they compare them? 
Also, any preferrence regarding what type of blade do they like better with this rubber (carbon vs 5-ply wood)?
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Gustau Gustau wrote:

Reading the descriptions, and looking at the pictures, the rubber reminds me a lot of the Kokutaku 868 Tokyo Super-tacky...But I digress. What I wanted to ask is, if anybody has played with the Kokutaku as well as with BD, could they compare them? 

I have played with many versions of 868 including non-tacky, 868 for seamless and 868 for 40+, but not the Super-tacky version. I would say BD is a step up in performance and durability. I crack many 868 without even knowing why. But their new green sponge 868 for 40+ balls is a big improvement. It is tacky, soft and elastic while BD is tacky and hard. BD plays more like Chinese and 868 40+ a mix of both worlds. Not as fast but excellent soft glue feel. Only cost half of BD so really a bargain.

I bought my first BD when it was newly released. It was 100 RMB with no corner cut. My recent purchased BD has dropped down in price to 72 RMB but got 4 corners cut. Don't know if Yinhe has cut cost in production or following DHS's practice with provincial in the future. Hope they won't mess with a great rubber by doing so.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 10:14pm
I tried the 39 degree today and I have to say I'm very impressed.  I was using h3neo prov 39 degree (stock - no tuning) before so I'll use that as a comparison.  I was using the Yinhe plastic balls whereas I'm comparing to h3neo with celluloid.

Speed:
BD is noticeably faster even w/ the slower ball.  Away from the table I'm still getting used to it as I was sending some balls long (I don't often venture off the table more than a few feet, so I just didn't adjust the angle yet).  That was never really an issue with h3neo, if anything I wanted them to go longer.  The more you put into the swing, the more you get out of it, and the control is still very good.

Spin:
On larger strokes, I find the spin to be just as good if not better with the BD.  However, serves are pushes have more spin with h3neo - probably due to the extra tack.  Brush looping was very effective as were loop drives.  Even though there was additional power, there was more than enough spin to bring it back onto the table and it seemed to accelerate a bit.

Serving:
I didn't have any problems keeping the ball short, but I did notice that it doesn't have as much spin.  Part of that might be due to there being less tack, and part of it might be the different ball.  The extra speed does help with the fast serves to the corners though.  I think I need to spend more time with the rubber to really get a feel for maximizing the spin on the serves.  Maybe I was spoiled by h3neo.  

Pushing:
As I said before, and as with serving there is less spin w/ BD than h3neo, but I found the control to be very good.  The short game is bit more difficult, but I haven't had enough time to adjust to it yet.  Only played for a few hours and mostly just matches.  The added speed gives me an extra dimension to my pushes where I can more easily bring my opponent in with a short push and then jam them up a bit better with a faster long push.  

Blocking:
Because of the additional speed, you have to adjust your angle a little, but I didn't think it was any better or worse.  Blocking it blocking.

Looping:
I think this is where this rubber really shines.  I'd like to think it was due to the work I've been putting in to use my legs and hips, but I have a feeling the rubber helped out quite a bit.  I was extremely happy with my loops - brush loops, control loops, loop drive and loop kills were all excellent.  The control is very good even with the additional speed.

Summary:
Short serves: h3neo > BD
Long serves: BD > h3neo
Short game: h3neo > BD
Control: h3neo > BD but not by too much
Speed: BD >> h3neo
Spin on pushes: h3neo > BD
Spin on loops: BD >= h3neo
Looping (all types): BD > h3neo

Unfortunately in my 2nd match, I caught the corner of the table and put a rip into the rubber.  I kept playing with it though.  I'll have to try my 40deg soon.  This was tested on my Stradivarius as opposed to the zetro quad I normally play with.

On a side note, I played exclusively with the Yinhe seamless plastic ball and received no complaints from anyone.  They agreed it played better than the other plastic balls that we've tried so far.
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 2:38am
Congrats mate, if it finally became your main set up, it will totally change your life out of tenergy curse.
Lolz

Apart from DHS I think Yinhe is the second best chinese brand.
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 21>
  Share Topic