Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yinhe Big Dipper - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 21>
Author
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 3:52pm
I jumped on this bandwagon too and agree with most of the positive things mentioned.  I am totally surprised by how much difference there was between my copies of the 38 and 39 degree.  39 is just right but  I can't even imagine the 40.
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
Sponsored Links

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by eonblue eonblue wrote:

I jumped on this bandwagon too and agree with most of the positive things mentioned.  I am totally surprised by how much difference there was between my copies of the 38 and 39 degree.  39 is just right but  I can't even imagine the 40.

What would you say the biggest differences are between the 38 and 39?  I've only tried the 39 so far and will be trying the 40 next.  I like the 39, but it's definitely softer than I'm used to.
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

What would you say the biggest differences are between the 38 and 39?  I've only tried the 39 so far and will be trying the 40 next.  I like the 39, but it's definitely softer than I'm used to.

Just significantly harder and heavier than I thought it would be for one degree difference.  More like I was expecting from the 40.  It could have just been my particular copies, in the package the 38's weighed a lot less than the 39 and 40.
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
Waldme1ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldme1ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 5:43pm

For tournaments in the last 4 years I've used thors, grip-s europe, moon pro, 729 origin, and now 729 battle (ii) tacky; in that order.  I don't care for spinart at all.  The original black sponge blue whale ii was probably my all time favorite rubber (at least in the first 2 weeks of its life) but regular grip-s doesn't suit me.  Battle (II) Tacky is spectacular for my game but seems to lose spin within a month.

Is BD something I should try?  I was thinking 39 degree.

Hi,
Whale 2 black sponge is also my all time favorite. Can you give me your top 3 rubbers excluding Whale 2? Thanks

Btw, is BD as "jiggly" as Tenergy when shaken?

Edited by Waldme1ster - 12/09/2014 at 5:52pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 5:56pm
Please stop this discussion of different sponges... It's beginning to call out the EJ in me...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Please stop this discussion of different sponges... It's beginning to call out the EJ in me...

Sounds like you're in for some trouble then.  The different sponges are quite relevant.  I personally won't go softer than 39, but that's because I'm used to h3neo and have left the softer stuff behind.  The question I have to answer is whether 39 or 40 will fit my game better.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 6:56pm

Sounds like you're in for some trouble then.  The different sponges are quite relevant.  I personally won't go softer than 39, but that's because I'm used to h3neo and have left the softer stuff behind.  The question I have to answer is whether 39 or 40 will fit my game better.

Cole has 39 listed but were would U buy the 40?  
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

Cole has 39 listed but were would U buy the 40?  

Cole has been selling the 38 and will be carrying the 40 as well according to his site.  I bought my 2 off aliexpress when they were really cheap.  I'm hoping I like the 40 better than the 39 since I would prefer to buy from Cole when I need replacements.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 6:00am
As of yesterday, eaching have 38,39 and 40 available in black. Just ordered some fresh sheets (with Saturn Pro and 729 Battle).
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 8:44am
To me the 38 is pretty soft.  It's not that soft to the touch, but when you play with it the sponge gives pretty easily.  It's quite a bit softer than the top energy soft, for example, which really isn't that soft at all.

So I went with 40.  I'm sure that will mean that everybody will decide they want the 39.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 9:50am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

To me the 38 is pretty soft.  It's not that soft to the touch, but when you play with it the sponge gives pretty easily.  It's quite a bit softer than the top energy soft, for example, which really isn't that soft at all.

So I went with 40.  I'm sure that will mean that everybody will decide they want the 39.

Yeah, +1. I like softer sponges, so 38 works really well for me. But it's soft for a semi-tacky Chinese rubber.

There are lots of solid quality, cheapo Chinese eurojap-style rubbers out there now. It's a great time to be alive.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 11:34am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Yeah, +1. I like softer sponges, so 38 works really well for me. But it's soft for a semi-tacky Chinese rubber.

There are lots of solid quality, cheapo Chinese eurojap-style rubbers out there now. It's a great time to be alive.

Yes.  It feels harder to me but I will accept that it might be in my head because the rubber has less catapult than my usual 05 and that what is key is that I might just prefer the sponge hardness.  I remember using someone's Hurricane National that felt largely like this and I think if more Hurricane played with this feel, I would use them.
Cybershape Carbon
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 11:57am
The outside packaging list two hardness levels:  medium or hard. 

just guessing that 38 is medium
                           39    medium hard
                           40    hard

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 12:50pm

The outside packaging list two hardness levels:  medium or hard. 

just guessing that 38 is medium
                           39    medium hard
                           40    hard

Shame that guesswork is needed. Mine have the actual hardness number printed.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 1:04pm
For Big Dipper - it has actual hardness printed on

For others (like Moon/Moon speed etc), it uses words (medium, hard)
Here is the grouping:

Hard+: 41+
Hard: 39~41
Medium: 36~38
Soft: 33~35
Soft- : 33-

So under Yinhe's measurement, 38,39,40 is Hard.
My communication with them (yinhe) stating 39 is not Hard, but more like Medium caught them with surprise.
I havne't used 38 BD yet, but I'm sure it may be closer to a Medium/Soft on Yinhe scale by the look of things

Interesting to hear now they didn't use 38, 39, 40 on the packaging - since from ordering we need to order it with the hardness for Big Dipper (whereby other rubbers is with grouping)

Here is a photo of what mines says

Edited by ZApenholder - 12/10/2014 at 1:10pm
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2014 at 8:22pm
tested 38 degree RED on a one ply cypress 9mm blade.  

Overall a disappointment on this blade probably better on composite or different wood construction blades.  
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2014 at 2:55pm
I haven't read all the post in this thread, so appologies if it has been mentioned.

Has any body notice differences with the red and black rubber of the same hardness?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2014 at 7:02pm
They are both tacky and good. I think the black is slightly faster and better as with most Chinese rubbers, but I have used the red ony backhand and gotten rave reviews, so I don't think the gap is that much.
Cybershape Carbon
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2014 at 8:39pm

Overall a disappointment on this blade probably better on composite or different wood construction blades.  

Of course... Never use Chinese rubber on one ply cypress/hinoki, it just won't fit and defeat the purpose of the hinoki.
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2014 at 10:04pm
This is supposed to be a Japanese copy rubber though. I would think you would want the harder version.

PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2014 at 10:20pm

I recommend Moon Speed Soft or Soft- for those one ply hinokis', it's more euro than any other Chinese rubbers I've ever tried!
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2014 at 5:39am

This is supposed to be a Japanese copy rubber though. I would think you would want the harder version.

Are you refering to Big Dipper?
Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2014 at 9:00am
I wouldn't consider BD is a copy of Jap/Eur rubber. It playes quite differently. It is more like a tuned Chinese rubber in terms of the feel once the tack has worn out or the rubberis broken in.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2014 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Believer Believer wrote:

I wouldn't consider BD is a copy of Jap/Eur rubber. It playes quite differently. It is more like a tuned Chinese rubber in terms of the feel once the tack has worn out or the rubberis broken in.

Tack doesn't wear out if you continue to use the cover sheets.  But if you want it to wear out, of course, don't use them.  I agree with you on the tuned Chinese rubber vs. Jap/Eur copy.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/14/2014 at 9:27am
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2014 at 10:18am

As of yesterday, eaching have 38,39 and 40 available in black. Just ordered some fresh sheets (with Saturn Pro and 729 Battle).

How many sheets have you gone through so far?
Cybershape Carbon
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by qualizon qualizon wrote:

Of course... Never use Chinese rubber on one ply cypress/hinoki, it just won't fit and defeat the purpose of the hinoki.

did not know that Chinese rubbers and cypress one ply didn't mix, currently using Rasant on BH,FH and wanted a FH rubber with more spin with similar speed as the Rasant, next rubber up is MX-P.  
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2014 at 12:43pm

did not know that Chinese rubbers and cypress one ply didn't mix, currently using Rasant on BH,FH and wanted a FH rubber with more spin with similar speed as the Rasant, next rubber up is MX-P.  
Why would you look at Chinese rubber when you wanted something with similar speed to Rasant?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2014 at 3:44pm
When tenergy came out and I first tried it, I thought it felt like speed glued Chinese rubber too, at least in some ways.  The topsheet was, of course, a lot less tacky.  I thought Big Dipper was supposed to be a substitute for tenergy.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2014 at 4:31pm

How many sheets have you gone through so far?

It's complicated. I've got 3 sheets of 38deg in use at the moment, all on Pure Woods. I can test 3 BH rubbers in one night then. I know, I know - madness really. I also had a 39deg sheet (another player really wanted that) and a 40deg sheet (in red, too hard for me, sold to yet another player).

My original 38deg sheet is still good. This is the one I posted a pic of earlier in the thread - it has a lot of visible wear. Still plays really well, but it has lost some immediate grip (noticeable when brushing). It's had a few months of fairly intensive use though. I put a new sheet on the 3rd blade last week and I could tell the difference between the two, but I would still use the worn sheet if I had to.

After last week's training session I tried a light coat of Life Expander on the topsheet of the worn sheet. It did bring some tack back, but there are now a few very fine cracks appearing close to the edge of the topsheet. It's too fragile (or too boosted in the factory) for much treatment or home boosting IMO.

I ordered the extra sheets in a mild panic about the reports of the sheets with the corners cut. Want to pick up a few of the original batch if I can, just in case things are changing. I still have the emotional scars from my time using Haifu rubbers...
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2014 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

Why would you look at Chinese rubber when you wanted something with similar speed to Rasant?

the cypress 9mm cypress just arrived this week and its totally new to me so I have been trying various rubbers on hand and a few that a friend had around.  I had put off ordering a new RED Rasant until I had done more testing with the blade and after playing saturday with the old RED Rasant on the FH at the club I decided to try the MX-P on my FH and keep the Rasant 1.9 BK on my BH.  

I am an older player turning 69 and have felt my strength and endurance slip a bit from last year so I know that my ability to play at a competitive club level is going down maybe  5 or 6 years left before I join the Sunday group playing doubles  so I feel a strong urge to try blade and rubber combination that keeps me  competitive playing various ages in single competition.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 21>
  Share Topic