Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yinhe Big Dipper - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 21>
Author
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 10:52pm
Man, this 40 is really nice.  I don't think it's too hard at all.  Much more predictable to me.  Interestly, it does have cut corners.  It domes out of the pack, around 1.5cm in the center if you just set it on the table.  I much prefer it to the 38.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Sponsored Links

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Man, this 40 is really nice.  I don't think it's too hard at all.  Much more predictable to me.  Interestly, it does have cut corners.  It domes out of the pack, around 1.5cm in the center if you just set it on the table.  I much prefer it to the 38.

Happy to hear that, I will be trying the 40 this weekend.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 12:07am
Just curious, does this Big Dipper need some time to break in?  My 38 degree sheet had the corners cut, and is playing a slower than the Moon Pro I had been using before, and a lot slower than the Bluefire M2 when hitting.  Looping it is a monster, very fast and very spinny.  Maybe it is the blades I have been using?  Yinhe T11+ and a T2.  

Just for reference, the M2 rubber was on a much slower 2 speed blade Giant Dragon Kris II blade, and still plays faster.Confused
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 8:02am
The 38 sponge is a lot softer than the moon pro sponge.  That could be part of it.  Also you could (as you say) be comparing a broken in sheet to a new sheet with the initial tack.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 9:31pm
I was afraid this was going to happen - I like the 39 much more than the 40.  Cole - will you be carrying the 39?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 9:49pm
Not real soon.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 10:26am
My eaching order arrived today. My 38deg had 4 corners, but the 39deg had the corners cut off. Behold!

I can't see any other difference at the moment. Quality looks the same, they both have the protective sheet on the sponge and they are both pre-glued.

My Saturn Pro (red) also arrived. I'm a bit disappointed at first glance. It's the old Saturn topsheet (or at least the mold - the ITTF ID box is missing - looks very old school) on the new, yellow Gods Crossbow sponge, but untuned and no pre-glue layer. It has a very slight tack. Might be a bit slooooow.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 11:33am
the saturn I tried was pretty nice.  it felt like a backhand rubber. I don't believe it was tuned.  It was as bouncy as you would want that type of rubber to be, I thought.

Just out of curiosity, what did you pay for those at eacheng, and what was the shipping price?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 11:41am

the saturn I tried was pretty nice.  it felt like a backhand rubber. I don't believe it was tuned.  It was as bouncy as you would want that type of rubber to be, I thought.

Just out of curiosity, what did you pay for those at eacheng, and what was the shipping price?

I just ordered some in 39deg on ebay from "Prince Of Table Tennis" for $18.99 shipped (+5% off since I spent over $30).  The price I saw on eacheng was $19.99 (I think it includes shipping but not sure).  So about the same price you offer.  I'd gladly order from you even if it's slightly more expensive for a number of reasons - shipping time being a significant factor.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 12:19pm

I'm definitely reserving judgement until I play with it.

Bd was £12, 729 Battle £13.50, Saturn Pro £15. All shipped.

Edited by AndySmith - 12/22/2014 at 12:20pm
bluehorseshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluehorseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 1:44pm
Has anyone tried Big Dipper on a Zetro Quad or any similar hinoki topped blade?  I've tried it on the Vega Pro in 38 and am pretty happy with it, though I am generally accustomed to much harder sponge.  Was contemplating trying it in 39 or 40 on my zetro quad.  I kinda dislike cutting new rubber for my zetro quad though since it is the smallest head I own and I can't use it on anything else if I decide I don't like it or it doesn't pair well. 
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68077&PID=823122#823122
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by bluehorseshoe bluehorseshoe wrote:

Has anyone tried Big Dipper on a Zetro Quad or any similar hinoki topped blade?  I've tried it on the Vega Pro in 38 and am pretty happy with it, though I am generally accustomed to much harder sponge.  Was contemplating trying it in 39 or 40 on my zetro quad.  I kinda dislike cutting new rubber for my zetro quad though since it is the smallest head I own and I can't use it on anything else if I decide I don't like it or it doesn't pair well. 

After I ripped my 39, I pulled it off my Stradivarius and put it on the zetro quad.  I only hit with the robot for a bit, but I preferred the feel on the Strad.  I usually prefer the Zetro Quad and only put the BD on the Strad first because I wasn't ready to take h3neo off my ZQ.  I don't know how to describe the difference feel, but it just felt right
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by bluehorseshoe bluehorseshoe wrote:

I'm not sure how similar Photino is to Zetro Quad but it didn't feel right on it at all.
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

I'm definitely reserving judgement until I play with it.

And yeah, Saturn Pro is OK! It is a little on the slow side compared to other BH rubbers I've been using recently, but it's solid and dependable. I did feel like I had to apply a little more force that I'd like, but this is on a pretty slow blade so it's no surprise really. But it's very much not the clunker I worried it might be.

729 Battle though. Woooo. Very, very nice. I'll start up a thread on that one once I've put a bit more time into it, but it seems lovely after a few hours with it tonight.
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2014 at 5:48am
Just received my red BD 38 (and a black moon pro). I usually play soft/medium euro rubbers, so let's see how this goes :)

The rubber is completely square and I noticed the thin topsheet right away. Will try it in about 2 weeks. Not sure on what blade to put both rubbers, but have a few to choose from :)
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 7:54am
Sold my used sheets of Tenergy 05.  I am surprised a $20 rubber could get me to that point, but I honestly can't justify using anything else at this point.  Even the slower flat hitting turns out to be a control plus when I punch loops at the table.  I won't think about the 39 deg (I tried the 40 deg, and it wasn't bad - great spin, but I don't think I am going to swing consistently fast enough to get the best out of it - will probably give that away).

Current set up, all at full price from dealers ($60 blade, $20 FH rubber, $20 BH rubber).  Doesn't qualify for the El cheapo club, but still quite reasonable.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 2:10pm
Hmmm, I notice from their signatures that both NextLevel and Andymith are back to all wood blades. Is this a new trend?
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Hmmm, I notice from their signatures that both NextLevel and Andymith are back to all wood blades. Is this a new trend?

I don't know about Andy but whenever I go to a composite for a while and go back to an all wood blade, I feel as if someone gave me the fruit from the tree of Good and Evil...

Playing more than 1m off the table is a blue moon event in my matches so I just want something that lets me feel the ball so I can control it, especially when swinging hard. I play at almost the same level with the composites but the difference in feel, speed and spin just lead to feeling clueless when that ball goes off the end of the table. With the wood, I can feel the extra power and try to adjust. With composites, the makes and misses feel more similar... For those of us with less advanced technique, I think softer blades help with the new ball. Just saying...
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I don't know about Andy...

Well here I am to help with that!

I liked the handle on mine.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 3:19pm
The Force Pro has one of the best flare handles ever. It actually makes the straight handle for same blade feel fairly disgusting. But I love the blades anyways... That's the limba ayous in me....
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

I don't know about Andy...

Well here I am to help with that!

I liked the handle on mine.

Ha ha! No, just kidding.

I spent some time thinking about the new ball in the future, and my own game at the moment with cell, and I wanted to try a slower, thicker, softer blade. But I'm done (for now) with hinoki outers, and I liked the idea of the Pure Wood based on its construction. And in making an effort to choose a genuinely slower blade, I discounted anything with carbon in.

It's not perfect - the top ply splinters with every rubber change (despite sealing), big blade face makes it top heavy, and requires a bit too much muscle from me with the plastic ball. But I feel that it's really helped my general game a lot. With fast blades, I have to concentrate on keeping my stroke speed lower that I'd like, or the ball is off the table. With the Pure Wood, I have to concentrate on getting enough power on the ball to produce a threatening shot, but if I get that wrong a lower quality ball still lands on the table more often than not. Pure Wood is more forgiving in that way, and my average playing level means that I can get away with slightly weaker shots during match play.

I've been experimenting with various setups and plastic balls recently. I'm in two minds about keeping the rubbers and switching the blade out for a bouncier one to help with the reduction in ball speed, or putting faster rubbers onto the Pure Wood. I've tried both combinations, and both worked really well, so that's nice. But I found sticking with my current setup (in sig) when using the plastic ball is too physically demanding for me at the moment (but I appreciate that my state of health isn't one shared by many others, so I'm not offering any advice to anyone here).
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 3:30pm

The Force Pro has one of the best flare handles ever. It actually makes the straight handle for same blade feel fairly disgusting. But I love the blades anyways... That's the limba ayous in me....

I almost (I was *this* close) went for the Force Pro Black Edition instead of the Pure Wood, but I really wanted to see what would happen with an ALL+ blade. It does look like a class act.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 3:36pm
Like Samsonov, I use the blue handle. I usually bet on black but in this case, the exception was good.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 3:48pm

Like Samsonov, I use the blue handle. I usually bet on black but in this case, the exception was good.

You can't argue with the results. From your comments, you've been playing well. I'm having the best results of my life.

Also, the comment about the low cost is a good one. There have always been a LOT of cheap Chinese rubbers on the market, but these days there are a lot of really high quality Chinese options available. Better QC and more variation in the product lines. I've been messing around with 4 or 5 different Chinese rubbers for my BH recently, and they've all been excellent while being very different to each other at the same time. There are good, cheapo alternatives to a lot of the big eurojap rubber types now.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 3:58pm

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 4:38pm
That is the scene. Yes, I do not often gamble, but when I do, I bet on black. Keep playing, my friends.

But seriously, there is nothing wrong with all wood 5 or 7 plies. I just decided to try the one that Samsonov supposedly uses and I have no regrets.

The Big Dipper has been excellent in QC so far. The biggest benefit is that I can use it on my backhand. It makes my loops less spinny than Tenergy on the backhand, but missing the table with my intended stroke is so much harder. Sometimes, I think my backhand is deranged or something whenever someone feels the sponge and says it is way too hard.

I had some nightmares about the Big Dipper going bad and having to go back to Tenergy so I gave Tenergy another go since it would alleviate those concerns. But I started alternating between awesome shots and missing the table and I gave it up. I will just stay on the ride and hope for the best. I might also be a Spinart candidate in the far future. But for now, Big D on all wood it is.

Stratus Powerwood... Anyone, anyone? MMight just be what you need, Andy...
Cybershape Carbon
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 6:39pm
Help! I looked in eacheng.  It only shows red or black 2.2 without any choice of hardness level.  Is there a way to chose the hardness level???
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 6:59pm
There should be a comment box to add notes at some point in the order process.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/07/2015 at 7:10pm
Cybershape Carbon
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Help! I looked in eacheng.  It only shows red or black 2.2 without any choice of hardness level.  Is there a way to chose the hardness level???

email them before the ship
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 11:48pm
Thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 21>
  Share Topic