Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peter Panned

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Panned
    Posted: 09/23/2014 at 4:40am
I was really enjoying using an all wood blade last night when BANG!

Just a light tap of the blade on my hip, and the handle snapped clean off. And it was all going so well...

I think that burned core makes things a little brittle. Shame - the Nexy Peter Pan is my favourite 5 ply. Will have to get another one.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2014 at 8:28am
That is the zone where most of my blades crack if it isn't along the side of blade with the veneers.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2014 at 8:31am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

That is the zone where most of my blades crack if it isn't along the side of blade with the veneers.

I'm generally very gentle with my blades. This was a bit of a freak incident really. I was gutted at the time - just stood there for a good 2 minutes looking at the handle in my hand, jaw slack.

I'll have to get a replacement. Love the Pan's pumped-up middle gears too much.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2014 at 11:19am
Isn't it an easy fix? Can't you just glue it back?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
puyol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puyol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2014 at 11:28am
Couple months ago I had an eerily similar incident. When taking a backswing I think it was, I accidentally hit the arm of a guy playing at a table next to where I was playing, not too hard really. The whole head of my PeterPan rocketed away leaving me gripping the bare severed handle in awe. It was hilarious really, good thing nobody got hurt.

Though I remember enjoying PeterPan a lot, I decided to move on after that - the thing is just too delicate, it's like playing with a Belgian waffle, overburnt at that.

That being typed, I do not think Nexy products are inferior in general. I am slowly learning to love a hard rubber-clad Lissom.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2014 at 11:32am
Butterfly MPS
hhca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2014 at 11:38am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

That's what I was thinking. Some epoxy will fix that quick. It shouldn't affect the playing characteristic either I would assume
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2014 at 12:41pm

I love blades and I am a collector, so I ended up one day to fix and repair blades of my mates and generally from 2 other clubs who trust me.I, myself, had an incident some years ago, where I hit my blade cause of my nerves.I was so mad that I was loosing some points from a guy who didn't know how to keep his blade in his hand...so I hit the blade on the table and cracked...I about 90% sure that this blade can be fixed.I am horologist(watchmaker with my father) and I have many little tolls that help me to fix or repair any blade.Also as horologist, i have a very strong,expensive glue that glue almost everything, so I fixed mine which was in worse condition(but in the same spot as Andy's) because the layers that cracked, didn't cracked evenly...it was a mess.But i gluied it perfectly and I made some finishing job with wood-stock(putty, stucco) and it plays like its previous condition!
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by hhca hhca wrote:

That's what I was thinking. Some epoxy will fix that quick. It shouldn't affect the playing characteristic either I would assume

Sorry, not a quick fix by just gluing back with epoxy.  The blade will be weak and flex, and easily just break again.  If you search you'll find different ways to attempt repair.  I've seen one guy cut out a portion of the outer plies crossing over the broken area and replacing it with some new veneer, but that repair is also not really adequate (and rather difficult to do well IMO).  You need to strengthen the center ply most of all.  

The best repair idea I've seen is where holes are drilled thru the center ply from the handle at an angle up towards the center of the blade, going across the broken area.  Then some epoxy is put into the holes and a wood dowel (or a bamboo chopstick) is inserted into the holes.  You want a snug fit of the dowel into the holes.  This technique adds the considerable strength that is needed.  I've done it before, and it wasn't that difficult to do, and the blade was actually like new again!
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2014 at 12:59pm
yeah, that blade is dead, sorry.

you can't fix any damage to the core plies
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2014 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

yeah, that blade is dead, sorry.

you can't fix any damage to the core plies

I can't agree.
I have restored fully damaged blade like this with a great success.
The blade is going little more hard and faster after my labor, I just think so.
May be and 2-3 grams higher in weight.

But to restore a fully broken blade in the middle of the handle I must have some really well deserved reason.

Usually the more cheaper blades are never interest for restorations, as you can always buy them once again instead to pay double delivery and price for the restoration.
That is my own opinion.

By the way, I was impressed from the video with the broken during contact with the ball only tennis paddle. It seems it happened from something connected with the resonance inside the material. May be the finish was not very well made. These paddles are 100% carbon fiber as I know and surely we will have chance to see the same if the table tennis paddles are going to be produced form carbons only.
I haven't seen another case like this.

Thanks for the sharing!

Good luck in the searching about a new blade!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2014 at 5:57pm
I have been saved by a friendly forum member who has one for sale! Yeah!!!!!

I'm not sure I would have ever fully trusted a repair job. The core ply really shattered during the impact. It's very, very brittle.
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2014 at 6:04pm

I don't think it's that easy. Even though he would get it together it would not be as good as new. The blade will be really weak and think it would lose its stability. Buy a new one and try to keep your emotions together next time Wink 
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2014 at 12:50am
Apparently expert opinion is that it cannot be repaired.
I noticed you've purchased a new one - will you be doing anything to strengthen the area of the break?
Butterfly MPS
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2014 at 5:40am

Apparently expert opinion is that it cannot be repaired.
I noticed you've purchased a new one - will you be doing anything to strengthen the area of the break?

Even if it could be repaired, I'd always be doubting. Every missed loop, I'd look at the bat and wonder. Always in my mind.

I won't do anything to the replacement. I might buy a Galaxy MC-2 and keep it with me by the side of the table when I'm playing. If I get worked up during a match, I'll pick the MC-2 up and smack my hip with that instead. It can be my proxy abuse bat.

I don't usually do this with my bats, by the way. Must be the first time in years I've done it, and probably the last.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2014 at 9:08am
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62262&PN=1&title=rosewood-rip-psyche

Here's my journey with the same exact thing. I know you got a new one, but it might be worth trying. :) 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2014 at 9:37am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62262&PN=1&title=rosewood-rip-psyche

Here's my journey with the same exact thing. I know you got a new one, but it might be worth trying. :) 

Wow - looks good actually! How did it all work out in the end? I can't see any info beyond your initial bounce test?

I might give it a try anyway and use the repaired one as a backup.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2014 at 4:49pm
It worked out well! It's still perfectly usable and has held up really well. Epoxy was really the way to go. The only complaint is that it lost a *little* bit of the same feeling. But it's still my go-to backup racket and performs pretty much identically. It didn't take that much time, but my only real advice is you probably don't need as much epoxy as you think you do, and just be patient. 

Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 12:46am
Geardaddy's dowel suggestion will work but the blade will play differently. I have fixed blades in this way before. I also used to make custom blades. Thing that is important to realize is that the direction of the wood fibers is what give the wood its strength. In general a blade needs to have a few layers of wood grain running vertically from top to bottom think of Hinoki 1 plys.  A break like this destroys that necessary structure. Personally, I would get a new blade and try repairing it as an experiment.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic