FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Footwork technique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by ameetnsharma ameetnsharma wrote:

Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

***Edit

i think its more of staying lower and not reaching/being lazy as mentioned in the video. You can shadow train the movement in the video on daily basis too. I would focus more on endurance and reaction on the initial hopstep. And for continuous hopsteps, leg strength alone wouldnt be as beneficial as working on strength and reaction together.

Jump rope exercises would help with endurance, strength, and reaction.

Thanks. So is his jump thrust coming completely from his feet? (ie pushing off the balls of his feet?) his legs barely bend during the jump.

i think so. 

here is another good video

Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2016 at 12:32am
A coach told me that if you want to move to play a forehand, which is where 90+% of footwork errors begin for two winged loopers, the most important thing is to turn the shoulders first.vv Then you tend to hit the ball before your left foot lands on the floor, no matter which direction you are moving to hit the ball in.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2016 at 12:52am
Originally posted by ameetnsharma ameetnsharma wrote:

Very nice footwork. I think what puzzles me is... how does one jump like that wiithout having to crouch the body at all... I mean there's barely a vertical motion to the jump... it's almost side to side gliding. I find it impossible to get off the ground without more vertical motion.

She was at my house again last month. There is a _lot_ to get. Her footwork/stroke is the smooth, slick integration of a lot of different things.

1. Notice the waist and foot twist on each ball. This to me is harder, costs more energy than the side skipping. This plus the backwards/forwards weight shifts gives the ball real quality. 

2. As others have pointed out also, one should barely bounce upwards. Energy is most profitably spent going side to side. She said the reduction in vertical bounce will come given enough balls and time, since you must maximize the efficiency of the forces deployed in order to survive a bucket of balls. (I bounce up and down too much.)

3. When you land, you should visualize anchoring your driving foot to the floor before twisting. Then drive everything off that.

4. When you land, there is a subtle weight shift backwards (not just to the right) onto the anchor foot. When you do the foot twist, there is a weight shift forwards to the other foot. Avoiding the appearance of rocking will also come with enough balls and time.

So there is weight shift laterally (bounce); there is weight shift back and forth; there is the foot twist. And I haven't even detailed the arm close, the ball contact point, or the read of the incoming ball. When everything clicks, it's beautiful, naturally effortless yet hard as hell. I want it. But it's a longterm project; especially if you've been doing it "naturally" wrong for years and have to unlearn like me. That's the fun.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2016 at 1:08am
Sandiway. It is amazing footwork. She makes it look so easy and it's for sure not!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic