FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

BH Rubber experimentation and choice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BH Rubber experimentation and choice
    Posted: 09/29/2014 at 8:49pm
For those who have problems finding their ideal BH rubber. This is my account of how I went through 4 rubbers of different qualities until settling upon the Dawei SuperPower 2008 XP... a $6-8 rubber which may well be the ideal BH for many players!

After a 14 yr break from table tennis, upon coming back I quickly settled for my ideal FH rubber: Adidas P7. Spinny, controlled, powerful, nice throw / arc.

On the BH however, my requirements are different, and the Adidas P7 despite being great for BH too does not fit into what I needed. I needed a rubber that does the opening loop very well, but then can loop, drive, block, and chop / push, place balls and play short with balance and reliability as on BH i play a more varied game, whereas on FH I am an outright looper / attacker.

The 1st rubber I tried was Rakza 7 Soft. I stuck to it for around 9 months with an intermission of 1.5 months where I tried the old Sriver EL out as a comparison. Rakza was similar to the adidas, nice on attacking strokes - loops, flicks, opening loops, good on blocks vs power drives too - but it was very spin sensitive, slightly too bouncy for placement, good for spinny pushes but very difficult to block spinny opening loops. Rubbers which such characteristics (irrelevant of hardness) I find basically only good on offence and therefore more suited to my FH - Adidas P7 is better than Rakza in certain aspects but still falls within this spinny looping category. I find such rubbers limiting as to the variety I need on my BH.

Then I tried the Calibra LT Spin briefly. The Calibra had a lot of the characteristics i needed - opening loop was good, normal looping was ok once I adjusted to the long trajectory - but I always had to be careful as a small mistake leads to a long ball - the ball does not curve down dramatically with the imparted spin. Driving, blocking, punch blocking were excellent - and in rallies on my BH I drive or punch block just as often as I loop so it looked very promising. However, after a few weeks I noticed a strange property of the Calibra - in order to get a quality ball... the ball HAS to sink into the sponge, and therefore light brush loops or brush opening loops intended to land short are not good at all... in fact the ball simply falls dead if you do not engage the sponge! 

This once again made me feel I had lack of variety... this time I could do more different shots, but I could not vary my attacking stroke. On top of that, serve return was great in that it was not spin sensitive, but the pushes and chops had less spin, and were easier to attack.

----------- It was then that I remembered trying a Dawei Super Power XP 2008 rubber on a friend's blade. I remembered liking it so much, I had ordered 2 sheets of this rubber. So I removed my relatively new Calibra LT Spin - and attacked the Dawei... 

With this rubber, I now have a lot of what I need... 
opening loops - very good, effective, easy with good control - can go for both loop drives or brush loops.
normal loop or loop vs loop - again excellent control and good enough speed and spin.
serve return is nice in that it is not spin sensitive.
Drives in rallies are not as fast as the Calibra but faster than Rakza Soft and very well controlled. All type of blocks are great, very reliable - even aggressive punch blocks.

The rubber shines in control, and therefore I am able to play that little bit more aggressively on each ball, no matter what stroke - whereas with previous rubbers there always seemed certain strokes (for example drive with Calibra) where I could play very aggressive and others which I had to hold back a bit.

The only area where I think the rubber could be better is in giving heavy push / chop return vs the opponent's serves - here Rakza 7 Soft is clearly more dangerous. 

I hope this may save some $$$ for players looking for a good BH rubber with great control and excellent variety of shots where it performs very well!

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2014 at 9:16pm
You just needed a traditional rubber on your backhand. It is a great decision.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2014 at 10:47pm
good post, thnx! Clap 
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 1:52pm
Well, not just a traditional rubber because the Sriver EL did not fit in with my requierments - it did not allow me to attack every ball as modern rubbers do - the Dawei retains the more aggressive, grippy spinny, fast nature of modern rubbers - yet gives me more variation in that it has a very stable performance on every shot so I do not feel I am compromising anything to give me that little bit extra in another aspect.

In short I would say Dawei Super Power XP 2008 is a modern rubber with a classic feel which excels not at any particular shot but at control, balance and versatility. 

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

You just needed a traditional rubber on your backhand. It is a great decision.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 2:04pm
I find superpower 2008 XP to be very nice as well, but it is kind of heavy. Combine that with a heavy FH rubber and my weak, puny arms and I found it difficult.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 3:47pm
I have never been a Sriver fan. Now if you complained about Mark V.... Maybe at some point, you may try Musa...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 5:09pm
I loved Sriver back in speed glue days.  Sriver sponge is a bit harder, so I preferred it on forehand though.  Sriver was never known for durability, as it would lose its tackiness in just a month or two.  Mark V has great durability, but I never liked it.  I guess I just never liked the softer feel of Mark V.

I'm using Xiom Vega Europe on BH now, and I think it fits very nicely into the "modern rubber that is a friendly transition from traditional rubber" category (and it's inexpensive too!).  I've used Calibra LT Spin as well, but it also has a harder sponge and I much preferred it on the FH.  I'm using Xiom Omega IV Pro on FH now, which I'm liking much better.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 5:32pm
good you found your rubber after 4 tries.... for me it took 40 rubbers before i found mine. :)
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

before i found mine. :)
allegedly :)

I'll check back in a month to see if  this quote's still valid!
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 7:02pm

I still play Sriver once in awhile. It's slower of course until you get full power then it will pop. I think Sriver lasts a long time. Good for BH and FH on the right blade but it makes you work for the point. Xiom Vega Europe is very excellent for BH.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 7:12pm
Well... I've tried a few BH rubbers and I have just gone back to T25 FX ...

Not a low cost solution. ...

But I think at present I have to concede that I can perform more strokes consistently and in matches with T25FX...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 7:27am
You should consider Donic Acuda S2 for a BH rubber, good dynamic, good control and spin and speed. The only complain that I have is its durability. Otherwise, it is a good BH rubber. You can get a sheet from ttnpp.com/store for about $36.00 including shipping. I am not affiliated with this site. But that's where I buy my gear from.
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Believer Believer wrote:

You should consider Donic Acuda S2 for a BH rubber, good dynamic, good control and spin and speed. The only complain that I have is its durability. Otherwise, it is a good BH rubber. You can get a sheet from ttnpp.com/store for about $36.00 including shipping. I am not affiliated with this site. But that's where I buy my gear from.

IMHO the topsheet of s2 is too hard for Bh.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 9:42am

My best BH rubber after trying several, which some do work okay for me too.

Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 10/01/2014 at 9:42am
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic