Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Combating muscle fatigue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Combating muscle fatigue
    Posted: 10/03/2014 at 1:07pm
I played TT in my teens in mid to late 90's. I took a very long break and came back to playing again just this June. My muscle stamina was not like before. Whenever I do multiball training my leg muscles, especially the muscle group above the knee gets really tired. Today, I pushed myself to the limit by doing a basket full of balls non-stop. As I was approaching the last few balls my legs just turned to jelly and I dropped to the floor like I had no legs.

Are there drills or exercises to help with strengthening my leg muscles? Are there food I can eat that can help?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

dannyreventon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyreventon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2014 at 1:08pm
Just keep doing the multiball drill. It will strengthen your legs! :) 
Main Setup:
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Neo H3 Prov 39deg
BH: Xiom Musa

Stiga Clipper Wood
FH: Neo Skyline 3
BH: Stiga Neos Sound ST

Avenger 5
FH: Neo H3
Bh: Xiom Musa

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2014 at 6:32pm
I don't think there aren't any special TT drills to strengthen your legs... They will certainly improve your footwork but if you want to strengthen your muscles just keep playing/practicing and try hitting the gym and focus on your leg muscles. Single leg workouts + plyometrics will definitely improve your balance and strength, here is the list of some examples:

-single leg squats
-pistol squats
-box jumps
-jump rope

Also I included a beginner plyometrics workout link:
http://youtu.be/bHFQRWvrs1U

you can youtube the above exercises for proper form and instructions.

Edited by DreiZ - 10/03/2014 at 6:43pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2014 at 7:16pm
It could have to do with potassium and/or magnesium deficiency - eat bananas/spinach/supplements. Running on stairs is my preferred exercise for leg muscle stamina. I had a similar problem after many years of absence. It went away after about 7-9 months, 1-2 times a week at the club. Don't worry, it should go away pretty fast (at your young age... Big smile)
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2014 at 7:20pm
For leg workouts do with legs together and apart.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2014 at 7:35pm
I've been doing yoga for 12 years and haven't had any problem with leg fatigue.  I take it at the local community college.  The scenery is very beautiful there.
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2014 at 8:03pm
If you keep on doing multiball drills I think it will get stronger pretty quick, your muscles just needs to "wake up". You can also go to the gym and build up some strength, and I would also recommend some ladder drills. 
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2014 at 8:39pm
there are some ways to increase muscle endurance. aside from jogging 3-5km maybe 3-4x a week. you can try low-weights lifting with more repetitions meaning the weight is low and the number of sets and repetitions are more. usually on higher level players, this is done at the start of the season or what we call "Period of Preparation"
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2014 at 9:42am
I do one leg squats, but any kind of squats can help. Duck walk also (walk while in squat). Exercise for other leg muscles and core muscles also. 
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2014 at 11:57am
Thanks for all your suggestions. Regarding food supplements, would our body absorb natural food or food supplements faster?

Thanks.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2014 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Machine_Head Machine_Head wrote:

Thanks for all your suggestions. Regarding food supplements, would our body absorb natural food or food supplements faster?

Thanks.

Depends what kind of food supplements you are talking about?

Natural foods are always better IMO, but you have to be conscious of when you eat and how you eat it. Food supplements in general wont cause the "full feeling" we get by eating natural foods; so half an hour before gameplay they might be more advantageous than natural foods but overall I would say natural foods are always better. This is coming from a person who have taken lots of protein supplements.

If you eat healthy, no heavy carbs before play time, fruits, lean meat, meet your fiber quota you should be fine without any supplements.

I also would not recommend any supplements to anyone over 40yo. After that age I would suggest consulting your physician or a nutritionist before including them in your diet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2014 at 12:25pm
I am referring to those vitamin and mineral pills you find in a drug store. I eat a healthy well-balanced diet. It could be I haven't done any sports before returning to TT hence the muscle fatigue.

Will try to eat more spinach and bananas. I guess I will take the stairs more instead of the elevator. Hope that will help. :)
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2014 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Machine_Head Machine_Head wrote:

I am referring to those vitamin and mineral pills you find in a drug store. I eat a healthy well-balanced diet. It could be I haven't done any sports before returning to TT hence the muscle fatigue.

Will try to eat more spinach and bananas. I guess I will take the stairs more instead of the elevator. Hope that will help. :)

oh yea vitamin supplements are different from food supplements..

and that's good, also include zucchini in your diet - more potassium and less calories than bananas.   

Good luck!

Edited by DreiZ - 10/04/2014 at 12:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic