Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PPH's Yinhe 40+ Plastic Ball (SEAMLESS) Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 7:04pm
The DFish and DHS balls are very similar once you look past their size. I predict camphor.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I will break a DF and Nittaku SHA to compare their smell.  By the way, I don't think it's camphor, but maybe some other solvent rather like it.

I smell camphor (Vicks Vap-o-rub-like smell) pretty distinctly in the the Joola and SHA.  Of course, my nose is hardly a calibrated chromagraph - so I could be wrong.  But I strongly suspect that they are mixing celluloid and some other plastic.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2014 at 1:31am
DHS is holding on to their old manufacturing equipments with their dear life...lol
Just do the minimum needed (mix and match some celluloid w/ cheap plastic) to get past Adham...really not that hard if you can cough up the dough to sponsor all his major tourneys! Wink

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2014 at 8:28am
THE NEW PLASTIC MATERIAL IS NO MYSTERY AT ALL ...   

http://www.google.com/patents/CN103172910A?cl=en

Yes, the camphor powder is being used in plenty for making the seamed balls + some alcohol + nylon polimeric material.

This newly developed polymeric material is the very thing for making DHS seamed balls nowdays, and it is the material a fraction more solid as against normal celluloid, that 1.41 g/cm3   versus 1.35.   This is the very reason why DHS manufacturer did always insist on a heavier weigh standard for plastic balls.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2014 at 11:22am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Every time a seamless ball breaks the first time round someone who has not seen it before, it's headline news... for Chinese seamed, it's ho-hum news...

I thought you were going to say that an angel gets his wings.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2014 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

THE NEW PLASTIC MATERIAL IS NO MYSTERY AT ALL ...   

http://www.google.com/patents/CN103172910A?cl=en

Yes, the camphor powder is being used in plenty for making the seamed balls + some alcohol + nylon polimeric material.

This newly developed polymeric material is the very thing for making DHS seamed balls nowdays, and it is the material a fraction more solid as against normal celluloid, that 1.41 g/cm3   versus 1.35.   This is the very reason why DHS manufacturer did always insist on a heavier weigh standard for plastic balls.

Excellent!  That sure looks like a pretty likely explanation and explains the camphor smell nicely. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2014 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Yeah we have killed plenty of SHA and JOOLA plastic balls at our club. But yesterday I saw (for the first time) how XSF plastic ball was broken. A player hit it with the (rather sharp) edge of his racket, the ball then flew into the wall and when landed on the floor it had a big L-shaped crack (I'd say 1 cm x 1 cm in size) in it. That ball was brought to the club brand new 2 hours before and then it was constantly in play by a few of our most aggressive players.

Did you have a sniff?  Some forum members are interested in knowing what it smell like...

I did. Really, nothing special, just a regular smell of plastic... but my sense of smell lately is not as good as it used to be Cry
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2014 at 3:29pm
I agree with the others that Chinese seamed balls almost certainly have some cellulose.  They should not be approved by ITTF as plastic balls, given their previous claims about a "worldwide ban on celluloid production".  Whatever they are adding to it isn't working.

XSF and NP40+ are clearly quite distinct materials with very different behavior.  The plastic looks different, smells different, breaks differently, and plays differently (and those two are quite different from each other but both are quite good).
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2014 at 3:48pm

I agree with the others that Chinese seamed balls almost certainly have some cellulose.  They should not be approved by ITTF as plastic balls, given their previous claims about a "worldwide ban on celluloid production".  Whatever they are adding to it isn't working.

XSF and NP40+ are clearly quite distinct materials with very different behavior.  The plastic looks different, smells different, breaks differently, and plays differently (and those two are quite different from each other but both are quite good).

Cellulose and Celluloid are two different things.  If they are using the plastic described in the patent, then they aren't using or mixing in celluloid like I theorized. It is a different plastic.  It is primarily a mix of cellulose acetate fibers and camphor.

Note 1:  The patent posted speaks to how environmentally friendly their plastic is, but says nothing about the environmental impact of making cellulose diacetate to begin with.

Note 2:  Apparently it has been long known that camphor can be a plasticizer for diacetate.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2014 at 4:07pm
Oops, meant to write celluloid.  I am aware of the difference!

But it always pays to go to the patent.  So it probably has no celluloid at all.  (I still don't think the solvent was quite like camphor, but then again....).

In any case, the plastics in XSF and NP40+ seem distinctly different (and also from each other).
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2014 at 4:42pm

Oops, meant to write celluloid.  I am aware of the difference!

But it always pays to go to the patent.  So it probably has no celluloid at all.  (I still don't think the solvent was quite like camphor, but then again....).

In any case, the plastics in XSF and NP40+ seem distinctly different (and also from each other).

And celluloid or not, the plastics in the Chinese balls simply aren't doing the job well enough.  The balls are distorting and breaking.  Compared to celluloid, XSF and NP40+, they are clearly inferior products.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
tazdevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazdevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2014 at 5:46pm
There is a recent articles comparing some of the popular brands in China (the XSF they used is the first edition, not the sports edition).

Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 5:44pm
I recently bought a box of Yinhe 40+ from tabletennisonly.com.  These balls are definitely more playable than the Chinese seemed variety.

Everything that PPH reported is the same for me.  The balls are very round and do not wobble when spun on the table.  Bounce is consistent. Much more playable than DHS, Nittaku SHA, Tibhar, Donic varieties.  Biggest thing to adjust to is that they jump up a little more than celluloid - just as everyone else has reported.  Will report back after hitting with it for a while to see if a "smoother ball" plays any different.

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 01/21/2015 at 5:46pm
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 10:43pm
Unfortunately, our rec centers have been breaking the Yinhe Seamless balls in the same rate as celluloid recently.  It's same as reported by other members that the breaks come from hitting the sides of the rackets.  & never a hard hit against metal barriers, & lockers... Also been reported slightly wobbly balls in the boxes=(.
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by PingPongHolic10 PingPongHolic10 wrote:

Unfortunately, our rec centers have been breaking the Yinhe Seamless balls in the same rate as celluloid recently.  It's same as reported by other members that the breaks come from hitting the sides of the rackets.  & never a hard hit against metal barriers, & lockers... Also been reported slightly wobbly balls in the boxes=(.
It still seems to be an improvement over the DHS, SHA, Tibhar etc. balls!
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by PingPongHolic10 PingPongHolic10 wrote:

You must have gorilla players.

I gave out 12 Yinhe's..2 broke out of about 30 hours of play so far. One on a smash against the edge of table and one just out of the blue.

None of the balls have any wobble. Although, these are only 2 boxes, and probably not the quantity of your club.

We are all waiting to see whose ball will break next.

I prefer these over celluloid. Never thought I'd say that!
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 11:51pm
[/QUOTE]It still seems to be an improvement over the DHS, SHA, Tibhar etc. balls!
[/QUOTE]

You are right Jeff!  I hate the crazy bounces of the DHS, SHA & DF balls.  Yinhe balls are for sure better than most in the market so far, consistent bounce.

Originally posted by j-bo j-bo wrote:

You must have gorilla players.

And we are not talking about attempted smashes that hit the edge of their rackets=S
I still get a few that would last me at least 1 week=)

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 01/22/2015 at 11:51pm
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 3:18pm
Yes, the slowly developing groundswell continues and I am glad to see it.

If you have tried plastic balls and think they suck you are almost certainly right if you have only tried a ball with seams.

Seamless balls (XSF, Yinhe, etc., all made by XSF factory) are ON AVERAGE, rounder, more durable, and cheaper than all other plastic balls, and their bounce and play qualities are better than any other plastic ball (and I would personally include the Nittaku Premium Japan 40+).  I actually prefer them to celluloid, but some may not go that far.

Try just one box and you will see it for yourself.  Make sure it is an ITTF approved ball.

Maybe then more tournament directors will adopt them.  Cheaper and better. Should be an easy choice.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 4:00pm
Make sure it is an ITTF approved ball. The wobble on the unapproved seamless balls is very annoying.
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 5:56pm
From last night's play, I noticed that players that like to use side-spin really liked the balls.  From my end they kicked more than celluloid...

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 01/23/2015 at 5:56pm
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 6:57pm
CELLULOID STILL WELL AND ALIVE

Double Fish *** celuloid is now on sale $0.45 a piece from a Russian local trader.     The most popular ball brand with our domestic folks so far.

40 DF*** all-time most reputable celuloid creature for lasting hours and hours undamadged.
The ball still available from a DF china factory branch in plenty. People still prefer the celuloid far better.,
No decrease of celuloid stock and supply is supposed so far. The usual celuloid forming machinery is still working on and on, at full producive capacity .   Why do factories keep up production of balls of celuloid as much as before?   They still go on forming balls in full swing with celuloid. Why so?

Is Sharara has got the idea to revert back to the regular celluloid material some later day ?   who knows...

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Jeff(ATTC) Jeff(ATTC) wrote:

From last night's play, I noticed that players that like to use side-spin really liked the balls.  From my end they kicked more than celluloid...

Yes, they do that, kick to the side more.  Also, on pushes, they tend to stand up a bit more.  It's almost as if with larger balls with good bounce, some of the energy on the spin causes the ball to jump when it hits the table, but then less spin remains on the ball when it hits the opponent's racket.  I don't know if that is what is really happening but that is how it seems.  Or maybe it is the surface texture of the ball, which is quite rough with the seamless balls.
Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 6:05pm
Just had a session with a friend and we played between DF plastic balls and the XSF balls. We both noticed that the DF seemed balls maintain similar spins like the regular celluloid balls, but the ball loose speed faster than the regular balls. The XSF balls bounce the closer to the regular balls and it doesn't loose speed like the DF balls. But the XSF balls don't maintain the spin as much. So the balls it relatively easier to block and loop to loop is similar to regular balls minus the spins.

If ITTF's goal is to have more rallies, then the seamless XSF balls should be used. But so far, we have more tournaments (well at least in the US) that use the seemed plastic balls then seemless. But the seemed balls break so easily. We will see how this play out in the end...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 6:16pm
None of the plastic balls maintain the spin as long as they are larger. My suspicion is that the DF ball is slightly smaller than the other balls, but it is incredibly slow. Not sure how they achieved that. Maybe its a weight issue. I play better with it than with DHS but for most people I know, it is the reverse.
Cybershape Carbon
Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 9:39pm
Perhaps your Big Dipper which can generate good spin.. :)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Believer Believer wrote:

Perhaps your Big Dipper which can generate good spin.. :)

Nice one - this was even before big Dipper though.  The only players I hated using it against were defenders - they had forever to get to the ball and tested my patience.  In general, the DFish ball teaches patience.  The DHS ball could, but it bounces too low so the ball goes through the table and that can cause problems for certain kinds of defensive players.  Both balls are hard to smash.  For smashing, the XSF ball is king.
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 12:06pm

Yes, they do that, kick to the side more.  Also, on pushes, they tend to stand up a bit more.  It's almost as if with larger balls with good bounce, some of the energy on the spin causes the ball to jump when it hits the table, but then less spin remains on the ball when it hits the opponent's racket.  I don't know if that is what is really happening but that is how it seems.  Or maybe it is the surface texture of the ball, which is quite rough with the seamless balls.
Ball have you noticed any differences in play with the seamless with some of the older balls?  Do they play better when they get smoother?
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 12:22pm
I think they do play better as the grit wears off and they get lighter.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 12:32pm
Thanks cole, I only have ~3-4 playing hours on these Yinhe balls. 
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 2:09pm

Ball have you noticed any differences in play with the seamless with some of the older balls?  Do they play better when they get smoother?

Hmm.  I kind of like them no matter what.  I will compare tomorrow night a more worn one with a new one.  They are certainly quite gritty when new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic