FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

New equipment for Poly balls?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Tommy16 Tommy16 wrote:

Nice tips, so thank you! I´m wondering about how these new balls effects to the durability of the rubbers. I have only had a few serious sessions with new plastic ball and to me it seems that it´s "eating" the rubbers surface much faster than celluloid balls. Have you had similar experiences?

Yes, I have this impression also, and it is based on about three months now of playing mostly with plastic balls.  One thing, though, is I have been testing lots of different kinds of balls -- new ones -- so I end up getting more than usual amounts of that "new ball" dust on the rubber.  But I think there may be more to it than that. 
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 1:05pm
IT eats rubbers faster, but I also think it is easier for rubbers to grip - that is my impression - I have far fewer shots slipping off when I make contact.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 1:14pm

Nice tips, so thank you! I´m wondering about how these new balls effects to the durability of the rubbers. I have only had a few serious sessions with new plastic ball and to me it seems that it´s "eating" the rubbers surface much faster than celluloid balls. Have you had similar experiences?

"Eating" into the rubber?  You mean the ball sinks into the rubber more?  Absolutely.  In general, if you apply the same stroke, the plastic ball seems to sink into the rubber more than the celluloid ball (even though the claim the weights are the same).  Here are some facts about these two balls, Click here => http://www.ittf.com/stories/pictures/Plastic_Balls_Q_A.pdf

As I mentioned, we just wait and see what kind of rubbers and blades that manufacturers produce next.  One thing that I can see (this is strictly my opinion without any experiments), the best blades and rubbers for plastic balls are the ones with the catapult effect.  In short, if they have the "kick", then the are good for plastic balls.  Again, this is my opinion without any experiments.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 1:31pm
Sorry for my narrow vocabulary. By "eating" I ment that new ball makes the rubbers top sheet wear out much faster than old one. I didn´t figure out a better word than "eating" to descripe what I meant.

Cheers,
Tommi

Edited by Tommy16 - 10/18/2014 at 1:32pm
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 5:51pm
One thing must have escaped me - has anyone commented yet on the suitability of the new plastic balls (various kinds specifically) for ROBOT play? Do they fit and work without problem?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 11:06pm

Sorry for my narrow vocabulary. By "eating" I ment that new ball makes the rubbers top sheet wear out much faster than old one. I didn´t figure out a better word than "eating" to descripe what I meant.

Cheers,
Tommi

Tommi,

No need for apology.  I just wanted to make sure that you understand you correctly; so that, I can answer you correctly.  That's all.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2014 at 7:49am
I have just spoken with a friend who can get hold of pro Tenergies and plays with them himself, 05 mainly.

According to him, the most recent sheets that he got are made for the poly ball and they are impossibly fast and are a huge upgrade from the celluloid version in terms of speed. He was dumbfound by the speed when he first had a hit with them actually.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2014 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by tabletennis11 tabletennis11 wrote:

Before you look at changing rubber, here are 7 tips for handling the new plastic ball from our equipment expert all from our new blog! :D

Thanks for the link. I'm quite late coming to the poly ball party. I've tried it casually a few times in my club but the week before the NA Teams, that's when everyone felt they couldn't avoid the polyballs anymore. I used mostly the Nittaku SHA (complete garbage) and Joola P+ which is the ball for the NA Teams.
I agree with Matt's assessment on

2. Stay Closer to the Table in Topspin Rallies

3. Be Ready for Shorter Serves

I don't completely agree with

5. Close Those Angles A Bit More

For loops, an open blade actually works better, at least for me (Aruna Quadri seems to have success with a more vertical stroke too). Closed racket needed more on close to the table game.
As for equipment, I definitely will change to a firmer set-up. T05 FX to T80 but I have not ruled out using T05 FX on a firmer blade.
Good luck to all going to the NA Teams and all the other team competitions.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2014 at 8:40pm
Update from tonight's / this dawn's session: my Maze blade feels quite okay with the XSF ball - it feels plenty fast with the celluloid. A friends ALL+ all-wood blade was painfully slow with the plastic seamless. My BF JP02's were reasonable too.

I gave the XSF ball to players who had not tried it before and they all agreed the spin and speed is remarkably less. Everybody now will have to adopt a "be quick or be dead" approach.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2014 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

One thing must have escaped me - has anyone commented yet on the suitability of the new plastic balls (various kinds specifically) for ROBOT play? Do they fit and work without problem?

This is a good question. Has no one tested 40+ with a robot? I've got an Amicus 3000+ and I'm curious about whether it will work with the 40+.
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2014 at 10:19am
Many many rubbers have come out "plastic ball ready", in fact the pros have switched to P-ball a year ago and they still using Tenergies.

Those new 40+ rubbers are only marketing. 
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2014 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by vivan4tt vivan4tt wrote:

Many many rubbers have come out "plastic ball ready", in fact the pros have switched to P-ball a year ago and they still using Tenergies.

Those new 40+ rubbers are only marketing. 

Just because many pros still using Tenergies doesn't necessary means that other rubber not have been made for the new ball. I think many people still thinks Tenergy works good with the new ball, and it's hard in the middle of important tournaments to change rubbers suddenly. Tenergy still works with the new ball even though I think they worked much better with the old one. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2014 at 2:41pm
The pro's choice is a good indication of what works best with the new ball and I agree that this made for the polyball type of rubbish is just an empty phrase at the moment. Maybe it will be more meaningful in the coming years but my wish is for those knuckleheads to realise that increasing the size is the wrong way. The material and the feel of the new balls, I really like it.

As for these new Chinese rubbers that claim to be made for  the new ball, I have an idea what that means. I had the opportunity to try a friend's 40 degree Big Dipper and I have a LKT Green Dragon that I bought some time ago. They are visible the same concept and the same sponge, but their topsheet is surely different. The Dipper does not work with the celluloid ball for the majority who tried it and it was pointed out by a lot of them in the relevant thread. Neither does the LKT work. It was spinless and very slow when I tested it with the cellu ball.

But then I took an XSF (it is the black labelled one prior to the "sports" version)  ball to yesterday's session to try it out and BD had some clear advantages over the BF JP02s that I am currently using. Namely, the ball did not slip off it, acutally it held the ball better and gave a better feel and sense of precision on loops than did my BF's. Every practice partner that I looped at observed that the spin was less than from the BF but my loops were clearly faster.

So my theory is that with these cheap new-type Chinese rubbers, they wanted to make rubbers that are just spinny enough to land the ball on the other side in exchange for a very good feel and speed capability. In this aspect, the BD surpassed the JP02's. I will try it with the LKT and the Tinarc V but I bet it will be the same: less spin but more speed. It may be the reason why reviews of the Airoc mention the lack of spin.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic