Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DHS Skyline 3-60

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2014 at 8:55am
I had H3-50 and S3-60 on the Calix 2 on Monday night. IMO, there is a surprising difference between the two.

I've always has a soft spot for Skyline3 Neo over H3 Neo, but the difference between the two has always been minor for me. Enough to feel a difference in use, but close enough that I could use either and be happy.

However, S3-60 and H3-50 feel much more different. Considering the topsheets are the same as their neo equivalents, I guess the sponges are exaggerating the different properties (perhaps more so since I'm using the soft version of both).

H3-50 feels like a slower, more flexible H3N.

In the short game, S3-60 feels similar to H3-50. But once you start to apply some force to your shots it becomes very lively indeed. I can see why Butt Stallion makes the comparison to eurojap rubbers because the overall package is hugely flexible and elastic.

I still need to break these rubbers in for a few more hours, and I'm going to move them over to the OSP Ultimate. I think they'd be excellent on a more powerful 7-ply (Clipper?).
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 1:28pm
What is the color of the sponge of skyline 3-60 Andy???
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

What is the color of the sponge of skyline 3-60 Andy???

Yellow. Just like the original Tinarc.
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 7:41am
Any review for tg3 -60?
DrBacterius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBacterius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2015 at 6:19am
I glued it two days ago, I'll try it on saturday I think.

The first impression is that can have decent speed due to a 'classic' DHs topsheet. But I see totally lack of spin!!!
Difficult to understand from a DHS Skyline topsheet. Is not a problem of tha ball, I tried it with an old one and tha lack is the same. Spin is about the half or less than T80. Diffcult to believe.
The topsheet is absolutelly tacky.

OSP Virtuoso
T8O Max / Ventus Spin 1.8

My Feedback
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2015 at 5:40am
After using S3-60 for a bit last year, I decided against sticking with it at the time.  It really didn't suit my blade.

I've recently switched to a Waldner Senso Carbon, so I've been going through my back catalog of rubbers to find a nice fit.  Big Dipper still works really well for me on the FH side (although newer sheets do feel a little harder than the older ones I had), so it was just a case of finding a decent BH rubber.  With this in mind, I gave S3-60 another crack, and it's really quite brilliant.

At this point there is around 10 hours of wear on my sheet of S3-60, and the topsheet looks awful.  Like it has been run over by a truck, but not just any truck.  One of those old, white 1970s pick-ups which belch black smoke and haven't been washed for decades.  It's lost a bit of its initial tack, but can still pick up a ball if you press down on it with force.  It is officially Broken In(TM).

In play, it has great short game control (as you would expect from a TG3 topsheet), serves well too.  In open play the combination of softer Tinarc sponge and thin TG3 topsheet gives a surprisingly elastic feel, almost euro-like.  On my slower, softer blade this gave me fits with the gearing, but in the WSC it feels absolutely perfect.  The throw is medium-low, but the nice thing is how easy it is to vary between a flat drive (with a big cracking sound, surprisingly fast) and a slower, brushy stroke (which has a higher arc).  When driving it's hugely accurate - I hit the white lines a lot last night.  It all combines to be a very easy-to-use package with a lot of flexibility and a do-everything feel.

Downsides - spin-sensitive, especially in service return.  Needs a committed stroke to get good spin, which can take a bit of effort on the BH wing (good brush or big drive required, anything less is a safe shot but a bit toothless).  A bit heavy, but most things are these days.  Blade compatibility might be an issue for some.

I'll probably switch to this on the BH wing for my summer league season and see how it goes.  One big personal factor is that the slightly tacky nature of S3-60 helps me when switching between celluloid and plastic balls.  I can still play the same kind of game with any ball without worrying about grip on the ball, which will help a lot in a season where we might be using any type of ball on any given week.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2015 at 11:22pm
I'm really curious about this one on Viscaria. I've been playing regular commercial TG3 neo in 40 hardness, but boosted. It's very lively, and it's stayed really consistent. I was planning on actually playing MX-S instead of chinese rubber after I'm done with this sheet, but forgot all about the fact that this exists. 

It didn't sound like H3-50 was ever very well received, but did I hear a mention of H3-60 coming out? In my opinion, the original tinarc sponge was much better than the tinarc 3 sponge. 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2015 at 4:41am
S3-60 feels surprisingly different to H3-50.  I was shocked.  Shocked I tell you!

H3-50 has LOTS of gears, but takes a lot of effort to get top speed out of it.  It's very linear and a bit slow.  I still like it as a FH option on fast blades, but I have big strokes on that wing so I get good results from it (it is tiring to use, however).

S3-60 has a big elastic feel, amazingly different to use when compared with H3-50.  You can get good kick on the ball with short strokes and it has a bit of the slingy feel you'd associate with softer eurojap rubbers.  Less linear and more bouncy though, obviously.  I've now ordered a medium/hard version to see if it would fit my FH needs as well.

I can see the logic in people wanting a comparison with the boosted Neo equivalent of each rubber, but care is needed.  The sponges on these DHS hybrids are softer and more flexible, which replicates some of the feel you get when you boost the Neos, but they lack the raw speed and top-end power.  With the hybrids you make looping easier and more variable (you can easily vary use of sponge and topsheet brush, like you would with a very grippy eurojap), but you sacrifice the hard sponge stability the Neos offer and loopkills and flat drives suffer.

These are compromise rubbers for sure.  If you grew up on rock-hard chinese sticky rubbers, you will probably miss that definite crunchy feel when hitting hard with these hybrids.  They do work much better as variable offense rubbers though, IMO.

About H3-60 - apparently XX was using this for a time on his BH (according to chatter on chinese forums, so apply with a pinch of salt).  Some of them have leaked out to the general public, but I haven't heard anything about an official release, which is a shame.  The #60 sponge does feel like a better bet than the #50.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2015 at 5:29am
I also like TG360 better than H350. I have not weight the bare rubber but only the whole package. H350 is 96g and TG360 86g so probably TG360 is much lighter. I found the Mid-Hard version is marked as Mid-Soft in Chinese on the package. It is still on the soft side for FH if you are used to harder FH rubbers. Fits RPB well for its weight and soft elastic feel.  
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2016 at 5:38am
Hi Andy,

I have some questions regarding the TG360 and H350. (Both unboosted)
On your FH loopkills (big full swings), which is more tiring to use?
Do they have the same amount of spin @ the big swing?

Please let me know. Thank you!

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2016 at 7:43am
Originally posted by Chewy Chewy wrote:

Hi Andy,

I have some questions regarding the TG360 and H350. (Both unboosted)
On your FH loopkills (big full swings), which is more tiring to use?
Do they have the same amount of spin @ the big swing?

Please let me know. Thank you!

More tiring is probably H3-50 - it's just slower overall and big shots come back more often.

Spin on big swings - I'd say H3-50 has more spin, or it's easier to produce spin in those situations.  I was surprised how different S3-60 was - it has a softer feel, bouncier sponge, and mine were noticeably less tacky than the H3-50 too.  S3-60 is very loud as well and I found it to have a lower arc.  

For me this all adds up to H3-50 being a more flexible, slower H3N (FH only for me) and S3-60 being more of a drive/hit/block rubber (with still enough tack for brushing, suited my BH more).
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2016 at 9:29am
Thank you for the reply Andy.
It seems like H350 does not seem to have a real "identity".
I'm about to try a TG360, while you mentioned it's better for smash/block/drives.

Would the Nittaku H3 Neo be a better bet for FH than the H350?
Faster with more spin at least?

big d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2016 at 9:35pm
has anyone tried boosted skyline 3 60? Thoughts would be appreciated
petr korbel
fh t05
bh nexy karis m
Bobpuls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobpuls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2016 at 9:59am
Hi ... i havee tested h3-50 , tg3-60 tg3-60 national.
And all only on the bh side. 
h3-50 is rubbish rubber for bh .... not my choice .... to slow. 
but tg3-60 is the best ever ..... if someone says it has loud sound it is because he is only hitting flat. when you hit with loop it is very silent with huge amount of spin and speed with big arc.  
the rubber is the less tacky then h3. much faster ... not so sensitive to spin as h3. control is way beyond h3.
Tuning does not dome the sponge like on neo series. it just goes softer.
but the variety of wrist shots and gears are the best on tg3-60 ... this is clearly the winner for bh. 

Edited by Bobpuls - 12/02/2016 at 10:00am
Custom carbon/aramid off FH DHS H8 BH DHS TG 3-60
Custom carbon off++ FH DHS TG2 BS BH DHS TG3-60 National

Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2016 at 4:03pm
a bit off topic, what TG means on skyline's name?
cpen74 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpen74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2017 at 3:33am
can someone make a comparison between Skyline 3-60 and the Skyline 3 Neo rubber (39°)?

What are differences in hardness? Dynamics? Speed?

I've heard that the 3-60 plays more like a boosted Neo? Is that right?

Edited by cpen74 - 05/15/2017 at 3:33am
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 4:47am
Hey! We recently published a review of the Skyline 3, Skyline 3 Neo and Skyline 3-60 that should be very interesting to the people who contributed to this thread
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

S3-60 being more of a drive/hit/block rubber (with still enough tack for brushing, suited my BH more).

I have similar impression its more drive/hit/block rubber. for me it work better on FH and 3-50 better on BH
thelooper12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thelooper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2018 at 3:30am
Recently had a few hours with my new sheet of TG3-60. I am pretty satisfied. The top sheet is elastic and hard, compared to H8 the top sheet feels different.

I’d prefer using TG3.60 both sides as I feel that the H8 requires way too much effort and energy. But in high gears the H8 definitely is more skinnier. However with the same gear you could’ve finished the shot with the 3.60.

I was wondering if I should get the H3 50 to replace my H8 or get another sheet of TG3 60 and use it both sides. Any recommendations?
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2018 at 3:27am
Does anyone know of anything similar to Skyline 3-60 from another manufacturer?
I went back to it on my forehand a few months ago and the first sheet I had was great, however I have just had two bad sheets, one that had no tack at all and one where the top sheet separated from the sponge when I removed the protective film and before I had played with it.
The other hybrid type rubbers I have tried, either seem to be much harder or don't have much tackiness.

Thanks 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic