Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FASTEST BLADE CHALLENGE!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2014 at 11:42am
So once the project is complete will there be scientific evaluation as to ball speed? The world's fastest blade must have merit or all the efforts are in vain.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Sponsored Links

SolidEvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolidEvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2014 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

So once the project is complete will there be scientific evaluation as to ball speed? The world's fastest blade must have merit or all the efforts are in vain.

Exactly what I said, somebody get a chrono and clock that beast!
And some other beasts so we can compare.

I honestly don't think you can 'design' a blade to add spin.
Going beyond the spin generated by rubber and sponge, wouldn't that just compromise the idea of FASTEST?
Pretty sure people could take a blade that's just flat out fast and find the right rubber to it.
Might even be refreshing to see people use rubbers we regard as 'slower' just cause they generate the right spin. They'll be faster then usual anyhow.

Makes me think Tommyzai has a point in wanting the FASTEST.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2014 at 11:30pm
I realized that I need to define what I value when I design a speedy blade.

Some people might think that "SPEED" can be evaluated separately from "SPIN".
Yes, I think that's possible, and meaningful.
But as a player, I don't want to produce a dumn fast blade without good spin.
Because we are making a blade for a match, not for a physical data.

A ball without good spin does not help us to win a match.
Pure speed of a ball does not gaurantee good placememt, either.

If a ball flies with a high curve, then we can be sure that it will fall down after passing the net, by thus we can make the ball touch the inside of a table.
If the ball flies only speedily and high, then it can easily pass by the edge of the table.

And if a ball does not have spin, then the opponent can easily block the ball.

Therefore, I will continue to consider two aspects together.
If there are some people want to find only speedy blade without considering the spin, and power, which can be judged by those two factors, then they can easily find one.

Thick, heavy blades are generally speedy, whatever material they are containing.
And I will not try to make another boring blade.
Brand Manager of NEXY
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2014 at 11:42pm
Some of the beloved discontinued super fast blades had both . . . speed and spin. I'm confident Nexy can design a rocket launcher that can make the ball spin in many directions, not just a straight line to the target! 

Edited by tommyzai - 11/02/2014 at 11:42pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2014 at 10:16am
I like the way you guys think.

Its obvious we need some spin, otherwise a loop would not work in the way it does.
Looping is a large part of Table Tennis.

But also i do not believe a speedy ball is easy to block.

It sounds like a fine line with speed being more of a consideration when making this monster.

I am positive Mr Moon has the expertise to find that balance.

I recently have been working with various products to harden the surface of wood on blades 

Mr Moon  pm me if your interested.

Dr Cho

Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2014 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

I like the way you guys think.

Its obvious we need some spin, otherwise a loop would not work in the way it does.
Looping is a large part of Table Tennis.

But also i do not believe a speedy ball is easy to block.

It sounds like a fine line with speed being more of a consideration when making this monster.

I am positive Mr Moon has the expertise to find that balance.

I recently have been working with various products to harden the surface of wood on blades 

Mr Moon  pm me if your interested.

Dr Cho

Thank you Dr. Cho.

Is it sealing material?
If you have good product, I will try to test that.
Thank you.
Brand Manager of NEXY
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2014 at 10:37pm

. . . I am positive Mr Moon has the expertise to find that balance. 

Please note, my challenge was based on filling a void left by the discontinued solid, speedy carbon blades . . . and creating something better. Those blades, like Schlager Carbon, were super fast and still good for looping!

Edited by tommyzai - 11/04/2014 at 10:38pm
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I always think speed is better than spin; do you agree with the following? spin is the servant of speed; spin should be just high enough to land on the table; borrowing too much from speed to add up spin kills the spirit of the game. That's what I believe and that's why I like the challenge.

+1. Just wish I could be spin's master. Speed will soon be my slave. ;-).
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2014 at 9:17pm

EUREKA
Brand Manager of NEXY
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2014 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

The wood called Quebracho is also called the "Axe Breaker".
Should be easy to work with...kidding implied.

Some of these woods must be harder to get.
Also: out of the top 20 hardest woods 14 are from Australia.

It's not good idea, not only for cost, but also for time we need for this idea.
If we want to apply a new wood to a blade, then we need to cut that wood into many different thicknesses, and need to apply those slices into many different wood structures.
The most simple way is to change the surface, while keeping all other structure the same as has been proven good for years, as STIGA has been doing.
But for now, I am planning to test basically two well known woods, one is Kiso Hinoki, and the other one is "Koto". I can also test one more, but it will not be told until I can be sure after testing.

Just one more thing to add.
Hard wood has nothing to do with speedy blade design.
They make the production process difficult, and they are generally heavy for a blade material, but we can not expect the final sample will be fast, only by checking that hard wood is used for it.

I am already testing very hard wood with my next coming bladem "CHEDECH", but it's because that wood is surely effective for a surface in many ways, and I am planning to use it as thinnly cut, in order to make the functional feature maxmised, and the blade lighter.

Any way, thank you for sharing infomations.

I would call the fastest blade "exodus"  since the point would be end quickly ,what about compressed wood  and vertical aligned plies? Looking for a schalger carbon clone
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2014 at 11:12pm
Nexy is now openning the forth wave of NEXY with "AKRASIA".
You will know why I said "EUREKA", when you meet AKRASIA.

AKRASIA will be very fast, extremely fast, but also able to generate big spin, specially with "poly ball".
It has good power, when you smash the ball, and specially better with poly ball.

I am pretty sure this blade will be a monster blade, but also a dominant blade for poly ball age.

"Hinoki surface" will not be adopted, because it was not easy surface wood to produce very fast, and adjustable blade for poly ball.
I will inform more soon.

Edited by Nexy - 12/04/2014 at 11:27pm
Brand Manager of NEXY
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 3:10am
Wow!! I can't wait to check out Akrasia. Most Nexy blades feature a Hinoki top ply. I'm very curious to see which wood was chosen for such a speed demon blade.
mahomedy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 4:09am
Wow!

When nexy says they have designed something for a purpose,i know i will not be let down.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 8:26pm
If I ever design a fast blade with the purpose of making the ball go away, FAST, I will be different from the industry that uses 3 letters to abbreviate their blade. TBS, ALC, ZLC, ZLF are very common terms in the blade industry.

My blade will have FOUR letters.

GTFO

Yes everyone, when you hit the ball solidly with my fast blade, the ball will get the heck gone in a hurry. Wink
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 11:59pm
A contact I know says that at the SPiN Friday night tourney Wally Green announces the same acronym whenever someone blasts a ball by someone.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
baribari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baribari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 7:58pm
The fastest blade would be made out of solid titanium and about three inches wide. But it would basically be uncontrollable. And illegal, since racquets have to be at least 85% wood.
SolidEvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolidEvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by baribari baribari wrote:

The fastest blade would be made out of solid titanium and about three inches wide.

Now I'm curious about how you get such a seemingly specific number?
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 4:44am
Before releasing "AKRASIA", I prepared one article how I developed NEXY blade design. It will be divided into three parts (three generations), and after three parts were done, I will tell you what is the main feature of 'AKRASIA' considering the whole contents of the article.
This article will be shared with "NEXY designer's diary" thread, too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

NEXY’S BLADE DESIGN HISTORY

Nexy’s web domain is very simple and easy to remember.
It’s difficult to find a good four-letter domain name for a brand these days.
I bought and registered the domain back in 2002.
I dreamt of opening a new brand with that name for many years, and finally in 2009, I launched www.Nexy.com.

1. FIRST GENERATION

My original idea for Nexy blades was much different than it is today.
I had been a Tibhar agent since 2007 and a Stiga agent since 2010.
I had the opportunity to study hundreds of good quality blades.
However, when I first began Nexy’s blade line I stopped studying blades and began analyzing my findings.

I focused on creating something very different from the blade line of those two brands.
I wanted Nexy to produce different blades rather than better blades.
If I tried to make better blades, then I would have been studying, upgrading, and copying part of Tibhar and Stiga’s original designs, which is something I was careful not to do!

Nexy’s first-generation had to be different; it had to be unique.
Therefore, I did not copy and improve other company’s blades; I created my own from scratch.

Nexy’s First-Generation (also called “The First Wave”) was born.
I aimed it to be incomparable to other brands.
I organized the blade design into five categories:

1.     5-ply, with Hinoki surface. Fastest ever 5-ply blade – DEXTER

2.     5-ply, with Hinoki surface with good feeling and a heavy touch – COLOR

3.     Hinoki carbon blade with a natural feeling – HANNIBAL

4.     Hinoki arylate carbon blade with a natural feeling – OSCAR

5.     Other blades: Hinoki Japanese penholder blades
       – ISKANDAR and TEMUJIN; Hinoki one-ply shakehand blade – LAUREL; Handmade carbon blade – SAHARA.

I tried to make those blades unique and I often used a Hinoki surface, partly because European brands did not have the top quality Hinoki, which separated Nexy blades from the two other brands.
I carefully studied carbon material. At that time, blade designers categorized carbon layers into either hard or soft carbon.
Hard carbon was Butterfly’s main material, while Stiga used soft carbon.
I tested many different types of carbon and arylate carbon layers.
I adopted a very light, but powerful carbon and arylate carbon layer for Hannibal and Oscar.
They provided a good feeling along with high speed and power.

After several months, Nexy’s first-generation blades were completed.
I was somewhat satisfied, but I felt something big was missing.
The blades were good, but not unique! They weren’t much different from other brands’ blades.
I thought deeply and questioned my intention and purpose for blade designing — And I would soon discover it!

 (will be continued soon)

Edited by Nexy - 12/20/2014 at 4:45am
Brand Manager of NEXY
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 1:09pm
Looking forward to the rest of the story . . . 
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 8:52pm
NEXY's blade design history (2)

2. SECOND GENERATION

After completing the first-generation blades, I came up with a new concept that I called, “point and plane.”

Generally, table tennis rubbers and blades are judged by two factors — speed and control, and normally players think those two factors are interrelated. However, in most cases, speedy blades have worse control than slow blades.

Since the ITTF ban on speed gluing, the demand for spin greatly increased. Initially, many table tennis companies focused on how they could equip their rubbers with better speed, but soon realized they needed to focus more on spin. This caused a revolutionary development in rubber production.

As a blade designer, I also considered speed, control, and spin, and I tried to figure out how I could insert a powerful spin generating ability into my Nexy blades. That was the moment I came up with this new concept “point and plane”.

What makes a table tennis ball spin? Many people think that the ball rolls on the rubber when a player hits the ball. Actually, a ball does not roll — it impacts the rubber, twisting the top sheet and sponge. The ball is spun when the rubber tries to recover back to its original form. It’s all about the rubber’s character while returning to its original form.

Therefore, if you have a slow stroke, your rubber needs to respond accordingly to match your slow movement. But if you have fast stroke, your rubber needs to recoil quickly into its original shape.

If your movement is fast, but your rubber’s movement is slower than your swing, then your return will be weak. Regardless, it’s apparent that there is a crucial moment when a ball impacts the rubber, twists it, and is catapulted by the rubber recoiling to its original shape.

I chose to focus on this specific moment. If Nexy could make players experience that moment, then I could claim to have created something different.

I adopted the term “bang impact” in order to explain the explosive contact of a ball on the rubbers. The contact was so powerful that a ball could touch the wooden surface through the rubber.

I tried to design a blade that has a different character between blocking, standard strokes, and bang impact. The blade had to have several distinct functional features.

When a player uses the blade for blocking, it makes the ball fly short and gives the player a more stable defense. But for attacking, if a player makes a bang impact, then the ball is driven with power and speed. This is where I coined the term “dual impact” or “dual speed.”

In order to equip this dual impact to the second-generation blades, I slept many nights on the question, “How can I make dual impact possible on a real blade?” I rechecked all the blade compositions I went through and came to realize that there are two factors to consider. Those are “point” and “plane.”

In order to make the blade absorb the impact of the ball while blocking, I needed to use a “plane,” which means the whole blade acts to receive the power of the ball, embracing it and reducing it into something smaller.

But when I wanted to make a powerful shot in attacking, I needed to make use of the blade’s one spot as a solid point where the ball’s energy was focused and rebounded in the return. I also discovered the importance of designing an ideal width for each composition, which also affected the blade’s final character.

I attempted to combine one layer to serve as a “plane” and another layer to serve as a “point.” That was how I designed LISSOM. And that’s how Nexy’s second-generation began. Here is the list of those blades:

• SPEAR: Deep impact, solid response, and controlled dual impact.

• LISSOM: Maximized dual impact and oriented for continuous looping.

• CALIX: Big dual impact and extremely thin attacking blade (4.9mm)

• CALIX 2: Medium dual impact with moderate power and balanced feeling
           and speed.

• QABOD: Medium dual impact, with a solid feel and good speed.

• AMAZON: Controlled dual impact, using white ash surface wood and a
          balanced shape.

• SPARTACUS: Controlled dual impact, featuring Japanese Hinoki surface.
Brand Manager of NEXY
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 11:40am
I can't wait to experience the fastest blade.

Edited by tommyzai - 12/23/2014 at 11:41am
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2014 at 8:24pm
3. THIRD GENERATION

While focusing on “dual impact,” I tried to scatter that concept on a variety of blades, from fast carbon blade (QABOD) to thin and slower carbon blade (CALIX), to embracing limba surface (SPEAR) and kiso Hinoki (SPARTACUS).

Along the way I discovered the benefits of burnt wooden material.
I tested many kinds of burnt woods, and I applied the burning process to a few of Nexy’s elite second-generation blades, CALIX, CALIX 2, and QABOD.
I also applied the burnt wood technique to Amazon and Spartacus. When a wood layer is burnt, it becomes thinner and lighter, which make the layer slightly different from a raw wooden layer.

After extensive research, I realized how attractive a blade made with burnt wood could be.
But unlike the second-generation blades, I decided not to burn all the plies of the third-generation line.
Instead, I focused more on how I could support the natural raw wooden surface with the burnt wood core, thus creating a light and speedy blade.

For the second-generation, I tried to apply dual impact for varieties of raw wooden to completely burnt blades, starting with the thinnest attacking blade CALIX, to the fast attacking blade QABOD, to the soft Hinoki surface blade SPARTACUS, to thin but hard surface white ash AMAZON and LISSOM.
The second-generation blades covered a wide range of speed and feeling. I extensively experimented until I found what is good and unique.

Three years of testing led to the Nexy’s third-generation, which is different from other two generations in the following three ways:

1. Third generation blades use a raw wooden surface, but the center layers are burnt.

2. Speed, size, and feeling converge!
I did not want to make them very fast, but not slow either.
All the blades are rated approximately Off-, but they are very fast when they are used for looping with “bang impact”.
“Dual Impact” was also converged on a moderate scale.
Touch and an excellent feeling were also noticeable.

Most blades aimed to provide a pleasant, rather than huge feeling and vibration.
They were not too stiff, not too flexy.
Overall, the third-generation blades were a unified group of attacking blades with “moderate dual impact” and “light and pleasant feeling.”
Each with a balanced weight and size.

3. Nexy adopted the new concept “depth” for the third-generation blades.
I studied my development of the second-generation blades, and came up with this concept — It’s not about blade’s thickness, nor is it about the actual depth; It’s about where the impact of the ball is felt inside the blade.

Regarding “depth,” in general, two factors are considered when designing a blade — speed and control.
But Nexy introduced another factor when designing the “second-generation” blades.
I applied “dual impact” and that significantly affected the “spin generating ability.”
That was a very attractive concept.
It intoxicated me, and I continued to focus on it.
But I came to realize that “Dual Impact” also needed to be modulated.

The third-generation blades hover around moderate scale.
But this process opened my eyes for the next level of blade design. That was a concept of “depth.”

At some point I stopped writing continuously about how I develop blades, and I did not say much about Nexy’s third-generation.
However, the third-generation blades are really well thought out and carefully conceptualized down to the smallest detail, such as “dual impact”, weight balance, handle comfort, spin, speed, and even “depth” — where players feel the ball.

I realized that “depth” is the very core factor that characterizes a certain feature of a blade.
For example, I used a thin but hard wooden surface for the KIM JUNG HOON blade, which was released under the Tibhar brand name.
It is supported by a soft, but pointing (converging the blade power on one point) second layer.

If I did not use a soft second layer, then the blade would not have enough depth to generate good control and spin.
If I increased the surface thickness, then the depth would not rely on the soft second layer, and ball would only be felt on the surface.
That would kill the good functional feature of the KIM JUNG HOON blade. This blade’s biggest feature is to make the ball bounce high.
Even an experienced blocker will be surprised when a ball flies higher than the usual curve, and that was possible by this “depth” arrangement.

For Hinoki surface blades, such as INCA (another Tibhar blade, but designed by me) and ARIRANG, I tried to support the soft Hinoki surface with composite layers and blade surface thickness.
I also carefully considered the depth of the impact. As a result, all the blades were carefully examined with the fourth factor; “depth.”

SUMMARY

Nexy’s first-generation focused on “speed” and “control,” the second-generation added, “spin,” and the third-generation added “depth.”

Here is the list of the third-generation blades:

•PETERPAN: Powerful, but balanced 5-ply blade.

•INCA: Speedy, but light feeling Hinoki carbon blade

•ARIRANG: Powerful carbon blade with aramid carbon layer

•KIM JUNG HOON: Powerful 7-ply blade with a high curve, long trajectory, and moderate dual impact

•OZ (Chinese Penholder only). Powerful attacking blade with a Hinoki surface.

•AKTIUM: Defensive blade with different surface woods on each side

•KANAPH: This is 3.5-generation blade, following the third-generation. It is a thin, but speedy Hinoki carbon blade.
Brand Manager of NEXY
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2014 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

I can't wait to experience the fastest blade.

Now, I have one sample blade, with exceptionally high speed, but also with good spin and control.
But I would not show that, until I finallize small details about handles. So, just wait a little more.

Edited by Nexy - 12/28/2014 at 8:26pm
Brand Manager of NEXY
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2014 at 9:08pm
Very interesting articles. 
Could you describe to us how a blade is actually designed and built. Is it mostly a trial and error method?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2014 at 3:53am
Mr. Moon, it has carbon layers I'm sure Big smile
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2014 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Mr. Moon, it has carbon layers I'm sure Big smile

Yes, I think it is becoming generally required layer for most players in poly ball age.
Brand Manager of NEXY
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2014 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Could you describe to us how a blade is actually designed and built. Is it mostly a trial and error method?

When I first started to design a blade, I studied many other blades and researched what is common and what is unique.
And I mixed them with the functional features of each blade.
Still the result I could get after analyzing all the data was not much helpful, because what I got was not what I expected.

But now, I have been designing almost 8 years, and I have a very sharp feeling about blade design, and what I presume in the beginning does not differ much in the final sample. So, it became easier than before.

Any way, I use "traial and error" method, too. But it is done by many testers, including me, because I can not be suer what I intended was to be generally acceptable in the market. So, it's a part of blade design. But it does not fall on the beginning part.

I think this is very unique process. I know several other blade designers, and they just try many different compositions and select what they like, and they do some more minute adjustment.
But I start with thinking and imagining what I want, and I traject that into the sample.

Brand Manager of NEXY
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2014 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

When I first started to design a blade, I studied many other blades and researched what is common and what is unique.
And I mixed them with the functional features of each blade.
Still the result I could get after analyzing all the data was not much helpful, because what I got was not what I expected.

But now, I have been designing almost 8 years, and I have a very sharp feeling about blade design, and what I presume in the beginning does not differ much in the final sample. So, it became easier than before.

Any way, I use "traial and error" method, too. But it is done by many testers, including me, because I can not be suer what I intended was to be generally acceptable in the market. So, it's a part of blade design. But it does not fall on the beginning part.

I think this is very unique process. I know several other blade designers, and they just try many different compositions and select what they like, and they do some more minute adjustment.
But I start with thinking and imagining what I want, and I traject that into the sample.
Thank you, I am interested in blade design - in doing some research - it appears to me (as a complete beginner) it is hard predict the quality of the wood. Even with very high quality control, each piece of wood will have it's own characteristics. So how does a company produce all the blades to behave similarly? I would think this is extremely difficult to do.
Good luck with your new designs. 

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2014 at 2:22am
I am very excited to see what Nexy creates!
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2014 at 7:47pm
I am designing three blades, now.
Chedech is about to be released in a few days, and two others are "AKRASIA" and "ZEALOT".

ZEALOT is fast wooden blade, developed from "KIM JUNG HOON".
AKRASIA is the one I started to design with the aim to make the fastest blade in the world.

Here you can see the picture of those two blades.

Brand Manager of NEXY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic