Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alser All Around 5 (review)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alser All Around 5 (review)
    Posted: 11/18/2014 at 8:07am

Alser All Around 5

Weight: wide flared (88 grams), narrow flared (86 grams)
Plies: 5 ply all wood (limba outer ply, ayous inner)
Thickness: 5.9mm (approx.)
Speed: Off-

This is the Alser wood that I have been waiting for being an all wood blade lover. Took me about 3 weeks of patiently waiting for this blades to arrive since we have a port congestion here in Manila. At last I got 2 versions of this blade handles. The narrow flared version is about 35x25mm in cross sectional diameter. It is shaped and as big as an avalox flared handle while the wide flared version is 37x27mm which is much bigger. I opted to use the wide flared handle because of its size. Lemme just say that the wide flared handle is very comfortable to use and handle is not rough but semi smooth.

Now for the good points:

Speed

Not really a slow blade. I rate this as an OFF- blade. I felt it was a bit faster than the Petr Korbel and has a more solid feel. I used the Tenzone Ultra  and hurricane 3 commercial as test rubbers. I tuned the hurricane 3 because it felt dead. The tenzone ultra was very fast on the All around 5 (AA5) and it felt thicker every time i hit the ball flat or loop it. Away from the table the AA5's notslow with the H3 but the Tenzone Ultra compensated for the trajectory and speed. Still, I think when using a tensor rubber for this blade, I would recommend it until mid distance only. Other comparisons in speed is that the Tibhar SPW is faster than the AA5 by a 2 or 3 notches. The AA5 is also slower than a Yasaka Malin Extra.

Spinning

The Hurricane 3 commercial felt really good when spinning with the AA5. I really like the combination of a limba outer ply all wood blade with a chinese rubber. It gives you the sort of "dwell" when looping the ball especially on a late timing, The Hurricane 3 maintained its high throw on this blade.

Control

The All Around 5 has very high level of control. I can say the level is that of an all+ blade while not sacrificing the needed speed for power shots. Blocking is very good and stable. Flicks and drops shots are also very commendable with this blade.

Others

Aside from the very comfortable handle and good feel, the AA5 is also a mid ranged priced blade which is very affordable and can compete with other well known brands. Overall this is my favorite Alser blade compared to the Carbon 7 and Carbon 9 blades.

what it needs:

1. Not a long distance blade - for players who stay away from the table you would need a very fast rubber for this blade.
2. speed - some players may find it slow for their taste but for me it average in speed.

Overall, a very good blade. A balanced blade between speed and control.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 8:18am
They look pretty nice (exactly the same as the carbon versions).

Too bad they did not put the "stiga coating" on them, which is an option you can choose when you buy an Alser blade. I am curious how it looks with this coating.

This allround blade would be too slow for me, but I am still interested in the Carbon 7 :)
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 8:22am
carbon 7 is very good but i like this better. it may be off- but i think it has better kick than a petr korbel blade. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 9:02am
A comparison with Infinity VPS would be nice.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 9:26am
I like the look of this. Any idea what the darker wood medial ply is?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 10:22am
How does the other side look? As good as this side shown? It looks like a Stiga AR wood and its so pale.
mahomedy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 2:32pm
that darker wood really stands out.BTW the heads look quite ovally.Head size?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 6:24pm
tiewhen, both sides look the same with the other handle side that has the face of hans alser.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 4:39am
updated with review

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 5:06am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

updated with review

Brilliant yogi, many thanks.

You mention that the AA5 has a solid feel. Does that mean it doesn't have the hollow feel you get with cheaper Stiga 5 ply blades?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 6:30am
yes that is correct. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 8:12am
Hi Yoga, thanks for the review. How does the speed and control compare to Infinity VPS?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 8:31am
the AA5 is faster and has more kick on the ball

barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 4:43pm
Nice balde. When it will be on the market?
Yasaka Silver All Wood, ST
FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 4:55pm
@barnie, it is already available. It is sold be a Swedish online shop. 
Not sure about url share policy here, but google on "alser carbon 7" and you will soon see the link :) 
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 11:32pm
They remind me of a combination of AVALOX and STIGA lolz. 

Beautiful blade.
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 7:12am
yup crows. indeed a simple but beautiful blade. plays very well too.

barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 8:32am
That´s a pity itś only in concave handleCry
Yasaka Silver All Wood, ST
FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 9:24am
Yogi, Do you have any clue for the middle ply, the dark brownish one.

thanks in advance
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
Rado Van View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rado Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2022 at 6:20am
Limba-Wallnut-Ayous-Wallnut-Limba
Da Gravedigga View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Gravedigga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2022 at 4:13pm
An exceptional 8 yr. seasoning ⛏⚰️👷🏻‍♂️
(the blade is very fine as wellWink)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic