Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Korbel or TBS/ALC?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bobloiy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobloiy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Korbel or TBS/ALC?
    Posted: 11/25/2014 at 10:39pm
Hey guys, I'm here again with another question. I want to know what are the differences between the Korbel and the Timo Boll ALC. I'm thinking about changing from my Primorac Carbon for some more control, and a softer feel. I've read that the Korbel has better feel/control than the Timo Boll ALC, but that it has more vibrations. On the other side, the Timo Boll ALC is faster/doesn't vibrate while still providing enough feel. I don't know, what should I get?
Sponsored Links

Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2014 at 11:57pm
When in doubt, buy both.  Then you can sell the one you don't like.

Seriously, if you can try them both before buying, that would help a lot. 
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
bobloiy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobloiy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2014 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Snakefish Snakefish wrote:

I actually have a Timo Boll ALC cpen. However it has old sriver rubbers attached to it, I don't know if it'll do a good job for testing what it's supposed to feel like.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2014 at 3:04pm

Agree buy both. I like the Korbel simply due to extra feeling over TB ALC. If you like a more solid feel then you would like the TB ALC.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2014 at 3:16pm
I've played with both: Korbel ST and TB ALC FL. Korbel had a nice touch and feel to it and the handle was really comfortable. I have large hands and TB ALC FL handle felt small in my hands. In terms of speed/control, TB ALC is definitely faster and has that muffled numb feel but its really solid and well balanced. According to my practice partner I have better control/feel with Primorac OFF- (similar to korbel but slower) compared to TB ALC.

I'm actually in the process of getting another Korbel, if not something similar to it.

Edited by DreiZ - 11/26/2014 at 3:18pm
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2014 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Agree buy both. I like the Korbel simply due to extra feeling over TB ALC. If you like a more solid feel then you would like the TB ALC.
I didn't like the feeling in Korbel at all, really hard to control. I would suggest the TB ALC.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2014 at 3:53pm

Talk about Primorac, the latest offerings are very nice. I found the opposite, Korbel had better control than TB ALC. Different subjective observations from player to player. Korbel has good feel and the Primorac was even better. I am not liking the feel of my TB ALC, TBS, Viscaria at all but that's just me. Stiga Infinity V is also very nice.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2014 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by bobloiy bobloiy wrote:

Originally posted by Snakefish Snakefish wrote:

I actually have a Timo Boll ALC cpen. However it has old sriver rubbers attached to it, I don't know if it'll do a good job for testing what it's supposed to feel like.

Take the old Sriver rubbers off and put on modern rubbers you wish to test with. This is the only way you'll know. Don't try to guess.
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 6:00am
Problem is that blades quality and feel varies too much. Even stifnes/flex, hardness.
Everything you read about some older wooden blades probably was true once, but today maybe not... quality went down.
I have Korbel, Primorac, TBS. Some other players have same blades, and they are different in playing characteristics.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
bobloiy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobloiy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2014 at 11:58pm
I tried both blades out, I felt that I liked the control on the Korbel better, but it felt weird (coming from a carbon blade). I guess I'll just have to get used to the feeling. Thanks guys!
stump View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2015 at 6:55am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2015 at 11:19am
My advice is take gradual steps (or buy both).  Korbel is very very different from a PC, it would feel quite drastically different.  TB/ALC is kind of in the middle of those two.  One other thing -- TBS would have a weight distribution a bit closer to the PC than a TB-ALC, so it might actually be more to your liking -- it would give you the control you want, the same weight feel, but would also have the sweet spot you are used to, but still have some flex.
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2015 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by stump stump wrote:

some illustrations to the topic
http://stumpof.blogspot.ru/2015/01/alc-blades-face-to-face.html

Thanks for the photos! It's obvious that outer plys on the TBS are thicker than outer plys on TB ALC. That's another difference between them, apart from the price, colour and handle.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2015 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by stump stump wrote:

some illustrations to the topic
http://stumpof.blogspot.ru/2015/01/alc-blades-face-to-face.html

I had never seen or noticed that before, but it is really interesting.  Thanks for posting.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2015 at 9:46pm
Lies. TBS and TB ALC are the same blade. The difference in thickness in two samples does not mean they are all like that. Just like the weight of a blade can vary up to 10g, there can also be variation in the thickness of the plies.

Viscaria is also the same blade. But while the TBS and ALC share the same handle shape, the Viscaria has a slightly different handle shape. But same blades besides the handles.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2015 at 10:00pm
Actually the handle of a TB-ALC is slightly longer than a TBS.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2015 at 11:27pm
The usual difference I have heard is that the TBS is more head heavy than the TB-ALC.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2015 at 1:44am
Go for Korbel.  It is suitable for 95% of forum members here.   But of course, we all want more than we can handle.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic