Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nittaku Zalt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nittaku Zalt
    Posted: 12/02/2014 at 8:17am
Picked up a sheet of this last week. Made in China.

Sponge is porous. Colour is very near to the colour of tenergy's sponge colour (Zalt is a little lighter, less red). Probably about the softness of the FX tenergy sponge. Zalt's sponge pores are smaller and tighter than the T-FX sponge though. I can get a side-by-side pic if anyone seems interested.

The topsheet is interesting. Tall, thin pips with fairly wide spacing. Topsheet is very, very thin. Totally non tacky. Rubbing your finger down the sheet reveals a very rough, bumpy feel. You can feel the pips through the topsheet.

In play it's a good, solid allround+ rubber. IMO, it slots into the "modern classic" category along with Andro Shifter and Xiom Musa. Not massively fast and not hugely bouncy, spin is excellent, throw is medium. Whereas Musa feels more like a toned-down (untuned) tensor, Zalt has a far more Japanese feel to it. I immediately thought of a more flexible, elastic Mark V with a more modern feel. And it's reasonably light - lighter than Musa, for example (but Musa's sponge is harder...).

Not sure which Chinese company is making this on behalf of Nittaku, but the quality is really high. No imperfections anywhere.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

dannyreventon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyreventon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2014 at 8:23am
If you have to choose between the two? Musa or Zalt, which would you choose? :)
Main Setup:
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Neo H3 Prov 39deg
BH: Xiom Musa

Stiga Clipper Wood
FH: Neo Skyline 3
BH: Stiga Neos Sound ST

Avenger 5
FH: Neo H3
Bh: Xiom Musa

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2014 at 8:37am
Originally posted by dannyreventon dannyreventon wrote:

Tough question! ;-)

I prefer the lighter weight and feel of the Zalt at the moment. But! Being made in China, I worry a little about the QC between sheets. And Zalt's softer sponge does have less power - particularly noticeable when punching or playing half-strokes over the table. I had a few shots "wash out" and drop into the net because I wasn't used to the lack of pop.

If you twisted my arm then I'd probably go with Zalt and make some stroke adjustments. Zalt has a particularly nice feel when in a BH counterloop situation, which can be a tricky area for me, so it gets a few points there.

Of course, I haven't tried Musa 2 yet...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyreventon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2014 at 8:40am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Tough question! ;-)

I prefer the lighter weight and feel of the Zalt at the moment. But! Being made in China, I worry a little about the QC between sheets. And Zalt's softer sponge does have less power - particularly noticeable when punching or playing half-strokes over the table. I had a few shots "wash out" and drop into the net because I wasn't used to the lack of pop.

If you twisted my arm then I'd probably go with Zalt and make some stroke adjustments. Zalt has a particularly nice feel when in a BH counterloop situation, which can be a tricky area for me, so it gets a few points there.

Of course, I haven't tried Musa 2 yet...

Me too! Darn that elusive Musa 2. ha ha ha. Wonder why only ttnpp is the one selling it.
Main Setup:
Timo Boll Spirit

Stiga Clipper Wood

Avenger 5

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2014 at 8:43am

Me too! Darn that elusive Musa 2. ha ha ha. Wonder why only ttnpp is the one selling it.

Yeah, that is a bit mysterious. Fills me up with conspiracy theories.

Zalt seems really overpriced in US TT webstores. TT-Japan is a better option.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyreventon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2014 at 8:52am

Yeah, that is a bit mysterious. Fills me up with conspiracy theories.

Zalt seems really overpriced in US TT webstores. TT-Japan is a better option.

Of course, TT-Japan is one of the best shop to buy. :) Had it not for that darn Butterfly, who banned TT-Japan from selling their ridiculously overpriced products, I would have bought butterfly prod from tt-japan. :(
Main Setup:
Timo Boll Spirit

Stiga Clipper Wood

Avenger 5

Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2014 at 8:56am
Great for backhand!!
Great control!!

Not very spinny or sticky
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2014 at 8:59am
Impression
A son of yasaka fusion, step up for more speed more spin, a bit harder.

I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
Alwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2015 at 10:02pm
Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask on here and hope someone replies :)

I'm considering this rubber as my new BH rubber. Quick background: Compact BH stroke because I'm used to traditional Chinese rubbers like TG2 and PF4-1, but I struggled with BH looping. Changed to Flextra at the end of last year which is nice, but BH opening loop is still not great. I'm not looking for a rubber to fix my technical problems, but one that will suit my natural stroke and I can develop my BH looping with.

My qs are
> How is Zalt for developing/learning strokes?
> How much of a difference is it from Flextra - will it be too fast or lack control?
> What kind of an arc does it produce? I'm not keen on low arc BH rubbers. (answered)
> Is it durable?
> Is it a non-tensor rubber?
> How does it perform on serves and touch shots?
T05H | HL5 | TG3-60
CipheR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CipheR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2015 at 12:44am
I'm currently using a nittaku zalt, middle thickness, as a BH rubber and I must say it's a very good rubber for developing strokes. It's a more of a modern take on the classic rubber, it's a non-tensor rubber. It's durable. And with serves and touch-shots it's pretty good there. It's an all-around rubber, if you ask me.
ㅈㅈ지지ㅎㅎㅋㅋ
Nittaku Custom Blade
FH: Neo Hurricane 3 Provincial
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2015 at 5:15am
+1 to CipheR's post.

Originally posted by Alwin Alwin wrote:

My qs are
Great!  It isn't too fast, is quite soft, and the topsheet has an unusual quality of being insensitive to spin unless you use a fast stroke action, so it's very forgiving.
> How much of a difference is it from Flextra - will it be too fast or lack control?
It's not too dissimilar actually.  It does throw a little higher and I did find it easier for BH looping (although I can't remember the last time I used Fextra - many years ago!).  It isn't much faster at all.
> What kind of an arc does it produce? I'm not keen on low arc BH rubbers. (answered)
> Is it durable?
Yes, pretty good.
Yes, non-tensor.  It's made in China (more on that below).
Really well during service return.  It doesn't have a hugely grippy topsheet so it isn't the best when serving yourself.

So, this is made in China and since my original post above I'm 90% sure it's made by 729, simply because it's really similar to 729 Battle 1.  Battle 1 has a grippier topsheet on an almost identical sponge, and is cheaper too.  If you're prepared to go one small step further up the rubber performance chain away from Flextra (more grip, slightly faster than Zalt), you should give Battle 1 a try.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2015 at 7:54am

And it's reasonably light

what the weight cut to standard size blade?
CipheR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CipheR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2015 at 9:23am

+1 to CipheR's post.

My qs are
Great!  It isn't too fast, is quite soft, and the topsheet has an unusual quality of being insensitive to spin unless you use a fast stroke action, so it's very forgiving.
It's not too dissimilar actually.  It does throw a little higher and I did find it easier for BH looping (although I can't remember the last time I used Fextra - many years ago!).  It isn't much faster at all.
> Is it durable?
Yes, pretty good.
Really well during service return.  It doesn't have a hugely grippy topsheet so it isn't the best when serving yourself.

So, this is made in China and since my original post above I'm 90% sure it's made by 729, simply because it's really similar to 729 Battle 1.  Battle 1 has a grippier topsheet on an almost identical sponge, and is cheaper too.  If you're prepared to go one small step further up the rubber performance chain away from Flextra (more grip, slightly faster than Zalt), you should give Battle 1 a try.

+1 to Andy's answer. It really has a very high throw. Higher than my musa's.
ㅈㅈ지지ㅎㅎㅋㅋ
Nittaku Custom Blade
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2015 at 9:39am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

My red sheet ("super thick", heh) is 38.75g cut to 158x152, which is a tad bigger than standard.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2015 at 9:48am

My red sheet ("super thick", heh) is 38.75g cut to 158x152, which is a tad bigger than standard.

really?? so light! thanks Andy
Can you compare please it's speed to other tensor rubber for example Acuda or Evolution?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2015 at 9:55am

really?? so light! thanks Andy
Can you compare please it's speed to other tensor rubber for example Acuda or Evolution?

Yup, it's quite light compared to most modern rubbers.

It's a bit slower than any tensor really, which is where the comparison to Musa comes in.  It has some of the elastic snap and loose feel of a tensor but without the speed.  Even though it throws quite high, it does lack spin.  This makes it really easy to use and to develop a BH loop with, but when playing at a reasonably high level it's hard to generate threatening levels of spin with it.  The topsheet is really something - the thinnest I can remember seeing.

Battle 1 is similar in feel but with a grippier topsheet, and is very close to something like Acuda S2/S3, but maybe 80% of the top speed and more linear.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2015 at 10:19am
thank you very much. so it slower than Acuda ... maybe on OFF+ blade will be still fast enough ... with this rubber racket weight will be super light.

Battle 1 has similar weight to Zalt?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2015 at 10:33am

thank you very much. so it slower than Acuda ... maybe on OFF+ blade will be still fast enough ... with this rubber racket weight will be super light.

Battle 1 has similar weight to Zalt?

Bit heavier - 44.36g for the same cut size.
Alwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2015 at 1:22am

+1 to CipheR's post.

My qs are
> Is it durable?
Yes, pretty good.

Thanks AndySmith and CipheR!

I got Zalt today for a nice price and I'll try it out when I hit in a few days time Smile Maybe in the future when my BH is more developed I'll try Battle 1.
T05H | HL5 | TG3-60
CipheR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CipheR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2015 at 8:09am
Glad to be of help. :)
ㅈㅈ지지ㅎㅎㅋㅋ
Nittaku Custom Blade
sonykurniawan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonykurniawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 2:02am
Alwin, dont forget to say something about Zalt since you tried it
Alwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 3:04am
Originally posted by sonykurniawan sonykurniawan wrote:

Alwin, dont forget to say something about Zalt since you tried it

Sure Smile
I haven't done a review before and I'm not too sure what to write, so I'll just put my impressions and hope it adds to this thread.

I got 2.0mm in red for my backhand. This was labelled as "Super Thick" on the package (I do wonder what they would call a 2.2mm version... ultra super duper thick?). Compared to a very old tenergy 05 I have which came on the old DHS blade I've been restoring this past week (sanding down bits of sponge, filling cracks and sealing the blade) I have agree with AndySmith on the general appearance. It does have a lovely looking topsheet that's really thin and impressive.

When playing, the first thing I noticed was the higher throw, much higher than I'm used to coming from PF4, TG3 and Flextra. When a drive a high ball or hit through high top spin, my blade almost finishes horizontal to the ground. I really have to follow through properly on my bigger strokes.
It does feel a tad faster than Flextra, which was the main reason for changing, so when I hit the ball with my natural stroke it lands ~10cm from the opposite table edge rather than in the middle when using Flextra. The ball travels further in a shorter time. Surprisingly it does make a very satisfying 'click' when I hit at full power which reminds me of tensor rubbers I've tried on friends' blades. But, there is barely any catapult effect on normal strokes.

During BH loop drills, I feel like I've made a good choice. I don't have to hit 'forward' as much just to get the ball to land deep. It has a really nice arc too, maybe because of the higher throw, that brings it down on the table. It makes opening loops and flicks a lot more easier. Also, maybe because of my stroke, I get some side spin on my loops. Not a lot, but enough to curve the ball from my opponents sweet spot to the handle if I'm looping to his FH. I also have no idea how to control this side spin as it's something I didn't get with previous rubbers.

Yeh, overall I find it a very nice rubber to play with. It suits my game a lot more than any thing else I've tried and the only issue that I have is that sometimes when I (passive) block the ball just falls into the net. Probably due to sloppy technique than equipment - I'm too used to just sticking my bat out and letting hard tacky rubbers do their thing. I didn't passive block too well with Flextra either Ermm

EDIT: I twiddled and used it on my FH last week. Similar feeling when looping, higher throw with nice arc and pace. The 'click' noise was louder too which sounded great, but I still prefer TG3 for its low vicious arcs when looping. 

Edited by Alwin - 04/18/2015 at 3:08am
T05H | HL5 | TG3-60
sonykurniawan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonykurniawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 1:11pm
Nice and in depth review. Thanks much mate
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 6:06pm

I thought Zalt played much like Mark V. A safe rubber selection for more control. Perhaps a tic faster but not by much. Zalt is a good allround rubber. Plays well on BH.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 6:18pm
Mark V is cheaper. I was under the impression reanos hold and both zalt played similar to good old mark v.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

Mark V is cheaper. I was under the impression reanos hold and both zalt played similar to good old mark v.
Mark V and zalt cost just about the same at tt-japan.net (for some reason my computer won't let me type a capital z)
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 10:14pm

Renanos Hold is more powerful overall. Not as forgiving as Zalt or Mark V.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

CipheR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CipheR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2015 at 1:07am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Renanos Hold is more powerful overall. Not as forgiving as Zalt or Mark V.

Is RH harder than Zalt? Topsheet harder? Sponge Harder? Is it tackier?
ㅈㅈ지지ㅎㅎㅋㅋ
Nittaku Custom Blade
Alwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2015 at 1:12am
I just thought I'd do a update, since I've been playing pretty regularly with Zalt with the old cell ball and polly ball.

Driving: Very easy on backhand, I can hit through a lot of top spin shots I get as long as I remember to follow through a bit and keep my bat closed. Plenty of speed for me, and a lot of control. I'm hitting the lines a lot more than I used to.

Looping: I use a lot of wrist when I loop and at first it took me a while to figure out to use the sponge effectively. I like the high throw a lot because the majority of my opening loops against backspin clear the net by a good margin, and there is enough top spin to bring the ball down quickly. 

Flicking: With the old cell ball, I get a lovely banana curve and good kick when it hits the table. I've been told a couple times that my backhand rubber is very spinny because of this. With the poly ball, the curve is less and the kick is much less, but there is still good spin. I can now flick the majority of serves (if I read them right lol) which was something I never used to be able to do

Pushing/blocking: This is where I've had to adjust the most, because I was too used to relying on tack to push. I can dig the ball into the sponge and get a fast spinny attacking push, but short pushes off the bounce are still hard for me as they often pop up. Same for blocking if I don't close my bat enough when blocking top spin, the ball pops out and goes long.

Serving: Same thing, literally no tack now so I've been working on using the sponge a lot more for backhand serving. It's getting there, but again taking some getting used to coming from tacky rubbers. Plenty of spin though, when I get it right.

Durability: two and a bit months in, it's looking good.  The only sign of wear are my sweat marks from my fingers. The sheet is still just as fast as when I got it and when I block a heavy loop or drive the ball with power a couple metres from the table the lovely 'tock' sound is still there!

Thoroughly recommend this rubber to anyone looking for an alternative to sriver or mark v or other classic rubbers Smile
T05H | HL5 | TG3-60
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2015 at 9:47am

Nice update Alwin, It's good to see a rubber in this class with a higher throw. It appears it would be a very good choice for a broad range of players who need more control and still maintain decent speed and spin.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic