Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How to train a 7 year old

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mahomedy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to train a 7 year old
    Posted: 12/07/2014 at 1:34pm
My 7 year old brother is starting to play properly(sort of)

I do not want him to learn playing incorrectly.

Any advice on how to coach that age etc.

Videos and info all will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 2:04pm
Little kids are pretty natural.  Just feed lots of balls, don't let him get discouraged, make sure he has fun.  You need to be very patient.  Remember little kids have short attention span.  One issue with little kids is they are very short so they are kind of reaching upwards to get their blade on the ball.  I have seen people build a table about 15 cm tall that kids that age can stand on, about the width of a TT table and very stable. (Easier than shortening the TT table). 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2014 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Little kids are pretty natural.  Just feed lots of balls, don't let him get discouraged, make sure he has fun.  You need to be very patient.  Remember little kids have short attention span.  One issue with little kids is they are very short so they are kind of reaching upwards to get their blade on the ball.  I have seen people build a table about 15 cm tall that kids that age can stand on, about the width of a TT table and very stable. (Easier than shortening the TT table). 

thanks for the advice.

He is not short,that he is unable to hit a good shot.He is tall enough(he doesnt reach up with blade)

I will keep this topic updated,so any other valuable input will always be appreciated.
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 12:52am
Be aware of paddle weight. I'd recommend 140-150g tops. Look for a blade in the 65-70g range and use light weight rubber. The weight of cut inverted rubber can vary from 35-55g per side depending on brand and model.. you want close to 35g.
BBC, SP, LP
marcos78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcos78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 10:33am
Hello, in my humble opinion, keep him motivated and having fun, do exercises for strengtening his legs, jumping and running fast, so he can do the properly movement, first the legs then the arm, there is tons of videos in youtube, take a look. I think trying to imitate some of them, need a lot of training, the hardest is keep motivation, in western countries I think there is a lot of distractions.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 5:41am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Be aware of paddle weight. I'd recommend 140-150g tops. Look for a blade in the 65-70g range and use light weight rubber. The weight of cut inverted rubber can vary from 35-55g per side depending on brand and model.. you want close to 35g.

im not so sure about this.

the stup he is using currently is 197g,and he seems comfortable with it.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 5:57pm
He may seem comfortable, but it will slow his transition between strokes.
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 8:17pm
The most important in the beginning is to have fun. Try to play many exercises when you count the shots. 
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 6:16am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Agree, I am sure most coaches would agree. maybe up to 170g
But surely 197g is way over board for a 7 year old
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 9:18pm
From my coach point of view it is important to teach children the right technique from the start as it is  easy to teach beginners correctly compared to changing 'bad habits' at a later stage. 

So it may be beneficial to have a clear idea of correct strokes, posture, etc and patiently work on establishing these ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2014 at 1:51pm
Update:

I have found a lightweight blade with rubbers for him(157g).

His forehand loop has developed well,though not very consistent.he can loop 4-5 balls most of the time.the only difficulty,other than consistency,is looping high balls.

However,with a bit more practice,i am positive that the consistency will increase.
atomant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2014 at 9:21pm
As long as his head is above the table, he can start training. Over here, the kids are enrolled into training centre as young as 5. The weight of blade should not be a big issue as long as the kid is comfortable with it. I have seen 6 years old kid playing with more than 200g blade with no issue at all.

Use multi-balls to train both f/h n b/h. Once they could hit 30 balls consecutively with ease, can proceed to footwork regime.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic