Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Good drop shot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
connor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good drop shot
    Posted: 12/08/2014 at 11:03pm
connor
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 11:16pm
I'm in love with that shot right now
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
pingponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 11:39pm
awesome touch.

it made the opponent's hair stand up Wink
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 12:01am
WOW
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 3:37am
Nice shot - is that sort of a chop block drop or a mishit?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
mahomedy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 5:02am
it looks like a good dropshot.
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 8:23pm
Wow thats unreal! 
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 1:42am
Easily one of the top 5 shots I've ever seen. There's nothing like it, this is pure magic right here!
danseemiller View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 2:00am
slight mishit 
DS
danseemiller View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 2:03am
 I take back the previous post. No mishit. Great touch.
DS
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 3:52am
An ancient Shaolin monk taught him this trick when he was just a boy of 6 or so. He has been hiding this secret shot all his life, waiting for the critical moment when it would make a life or death difference. Sadly, he fell to temptation when he used it in this match, and now he won't have this shot as a surprise when he really needs it.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 11:32am

After thinking about this, he was probably was trying to block the ball, but it was just luck, he dropped the ball that short, especially using regular inverted on his 4H.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 12:50pm
Nah - he was clearly trying to drop the ball short. His degree of success may or may not be luck but the intention to play short once his opponent had gone back is evident.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 1:41pm
it was a purposeful 'pull block' which was miraculously perfectly timed

about as good as it gets

:)
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by danseemiller danseemiller wrote:

I take back the previous post. No mishit. Great touch.
Seems awkward, that's why I thought it might be a mishit. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 4:33pm
Nifty stroke.   The DHS 40+ has surely contributed a good deal to it.

I like doing this master stroke, I like the plastic.
acid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 6:15pm
I was there, i called it "the magic block" at Magic Spin club near Westminster Mall, CA.

The name of the club probably said it all. Man, these young kids beat everybody. Beside these 2, Teddy Tran and Khoa Nguyen (2004 olympian) were there too.
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Argothman Argothman wrote:

Easily one of the top 5 shots I've ever seen. There's nothing like it, this is pure magic right here!

+1, surly amazing! 
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2014 at 8:32pm
You can see that he contacts the ball on it's side, closer to the axis of the topspin rotation.

It's common to block with a bit of sideways movement, because it slows down the speed of the incoming shot, and makes topspin a bit easier to control. It's mostly seen with long pip/frictionless anti blockers, and classic penholders.
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2014 at 4:07am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Another possibility is that both players had not super spinny rubbers.

Black shirt was using Chinese rubber FH for sure. I saw some of his videos. The balls and his swing type imply it.

That block while pulling the blade back was no mishit. Big smile The blue shirt player intended it. Incoming ball was slow and he had excellent touch.

Edited by aroonkl - 12/11/2014 at 5:29am
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2014 at 5:38am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Nah - he was clearly trying to drop the ball short. His degree of success may or may not be luck but the intention to play short once his opponent had gone back is evident.

Big ? - out of 100 practice attempts - how many times do you think he could drop that ball that short ????????????????????
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2014 at 7:24am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Big ? - out of 100 practice attempts - how many times do you think he could drop that ball that short ????????????????????

People do it all the time off lobs and this ball was pretty slow.  Doing it off service return was the novel element.  But Zaman Molla does something similiar but less spectacular against the same opponent with a push vs. incoming push.  See the early point here at 42 seconds in - the scorekeeper thought it was a let.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IeCe9xQFl8
Cybershape Carbon
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2014 at 1:35pm

Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

People do it all the time off lobs and this ball was pretty slow.  Doing it off service return was the novel element.  But Zaman Molla does something similiar but less spectacular against the same opponent with a push vs. incoming push.  See the early point here at 42 seconds in - the scorekeeper thought it was a let.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IeCe9xQFl8

A scorekeeper cannot call a net. Only an umpire can do that.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2014 at 2:37am

thinking is not calling

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2014 at 2:05pm

thinking is not calling

Silly me, I should have realised that NL is a mind-reader.

Edited by Tinykin - 12/12/2014 at 2:12pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90

Delusion is an asset
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2014 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

thinking is not calling

Silly me, I should have realised that NL is a mind-reader.

I provided the link so watch the first eight points and explain the scorekeeper's behavior. Understanding behavior is mindreading.
Cybershape Carbon
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2014 at 8:47pm
OK, I get it. The score doesn't move so it was a net call, right? I don't see anything for a 'let' call, but I may have missed something.

Blade:
Darker Speed90

Delusion is an asset
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2014 at 8:58pm

A scorekeeper cannot call a net. Only an umpire can do that.
In this match, the scorekeeper is the umpire.
I_got_skill_son View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I_got_skill_son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2014 at 10:22pm
It was both a mishit and done purposely. He did intend to drop it, but that's probably the shortest he has ever got that shot! Great Shot either way!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2014 at 12:55am

OK, I get it. The score doesn't move so it was a net call, right? I don't see anything for a 'let' call, but I may have missed something.

There was no ump... Just a scorekeeper. The scorekeeper simply records the score and the players ump themselves. He didn't record that point until he was told to by the players. That is why I said he thought it was a let. To be fair, the point looked weird to me until I did a triple take to appreciate Zaman's touch.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic