Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Me playing a friend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BinaryLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Me playing a friend
    Posted: 12/18/2014 at 1:59pm
Here's a video of me playing a friend of mine. I am the one on the left. Please be as brutal as possible with your criticism. Thanks Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyoH5BJlZtE
Sponsored Links

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 2:31pm
My main critic goes to the person holding the camera. Does he (or she) have parkinson?
Regarding your game I see you very anxious to finish the point. This causes a bad positioning at the table. When your partner block your shot it´s like you´re dead. You definately need to improve your rhythm. Hit, recover, position, hit again...
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by BinaryLoop BinaryLoop wrote:

Here's a video of me playing a friend of mine. I am the one on the left. Please be as brutal as possible with your criticism. Thanks Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyoH5BJlZtE
==================================

Using a Tripod, never hand-hold a camera.
skip3119

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2014 at 2:35pm
Sorry. In my folly I forgot to stabilize the video. Me and my friends are pretty casual, so we didn't hog in a tripod (not that we have one anyways). Thanks for the input!
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 7:42am
The light changes make it hard to see.  If you do another video try to record it in a gym or someplace with only artificial light so it stays even.

As far as your game, you do some nice backhands over the table, but your FH looks really uncomfortable.  It's a small sample, so maybe not accurate.  But you had more than one total whiff on the FH side, and generally don't look comfortable hitting multiple FHs in a row.  Do you practice loop v block drills and can you hit 5 or 10 FH loops in a row when your partner blocks back to the same spot?  

Also, stay lower.  You stand up a lot, and that makes it hard to move properly and hit consistent topspin strokes. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 11:46am
I'm having a grip dilemma, which is why you see me struggle when switching from backhand to forehand/vice versa. I have slightly different grip for either stroke,  and it's costing me during fast switching. Should I stick to one grip and make it work for the other stroke?
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 11:54am

I'm having a grip dilemma, which is why you see me struggle when switching from backhand to forehand/vice versa. I have slightly different grip for either stroke,  and it's costing me during fast switching. Should I stick to one grip and make it work for the other stroke?

My opinion is that you should stick with the separate grips. 
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 2:08pm
I saw that during a number of forehand attacks where your right leg came up and went backwards either right before or during your swing.  Reminded me a little of a leg kick in bowling.  You should be getting back to neutral and if anything your leg should be going forward.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 2:11pm
So in general stay more grounded during forehand attacks?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 2:12pm
So in general stay more grounded during forehand strokes?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 2:13pm

So in general stay more grounded during forehand attacks?
I wouldn't say that, but generally your weight should shift forward into the ball during an attack.  By pulling your right leg back, you're bringing your weight down and away from the ball.

Edited by hookumsnivy - 12/19/2014 at 2:15pm
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 2:33pm
things to improve upon:
1) prepare for the next shot after you loop
2) body positioning after you loop or punch block
3) index finger positioning when blocking

i didn't pay super close attention to everything and i only watched it once, but those were what i caught!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 2:47pm
Thanks for the tips! I'll post another video when I feel like I've adequately addressed those points.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 2:59pm
I would suggest more fluid with your movement. Finish the stroke, so you're back in the ready position. Too many times watching your shot and not getting back into ready position. 
(I actually do the exact same thing - hmmm easier to tell other people how to do it rather than doing it myself) - Game looks pretty good!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 10:07pm
Poor choice of music out of 10.

But in all seriousness you need to improve your footwork and recovery. Pay more attention to your feet for now.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 10:42pm
criticism is the poor lighting (bright sun)
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 11:50pm
Yeah we chose a bad time & place. Next time I'll film in a place with only artificial lighting.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 6:23am
I would normally say that serving for a reason ( getting back probable returns) would help you, but for you , you need to be ready to do a forehand or backhand, just slow your game down and work on transition and spin that forehand unless it is high 
 I like your little pro backhand attack against the short serve, but as others are saying have a look where your feet go when you are doing your forehand, start helping each other out , with both having turns at 1 backhand 2 forehands and some other repeated drills
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 7:59am
Also I like your bh flip of service, but you shouldn't have to even do that against those serves.  They're high and not that spinny.  You should be able to just flat right through them and hit a winner.  Both of you need to work on tightening up your serves and that alone should take you from 1500 to 1700ish.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 6:02pm
What kind of ball was that? It looks huge! Or maybe it was just the lighting. Agree with Cole, those serves you can just pop them with a flat hit. They were really high. Your serve form looks good and overall form not too bad.
Primorac Carbon + P7
Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70427&title=feedback-cheondo
109dream View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 109dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 1:25am
Hey guys, I'm the other kid in the video. Could I get any advice other than work on my bad serves?
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 2:28am
I think there are weight transfer issues. It looks like you often have your weight on your heels and you are not transferring weight from left side to right side properly for the forehand stroke. As for strategy, you should always serve from the shadowy area to the sunshine area of the table. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 5:25am
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

... As for strategy, you should always serve from the shadowy area to the sunshine area of the table. 
  got some homework
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 9:39am
Originally posted by 109dream 109dream wrote:

Hey guys, I'm the other kid in the video. Could I get any advice other than work on my bad serves?

The most important thing is to keep them low.  If they're not low, they become easy to attack.  
Also, you should mix them up a bit.  It looks like you do the same serve to the same place every time.  Your opponent is expecting that serve and is moving into position to flip it before you even make contact.  You have the entire table to work with, make your opponent move.  Short, long, fast, slow, FH, BH, middle, top spin, no spin, under spin (all with variable amounts of side spin).  This is the 1 part of the game were you can impose your will without having to adjust to the type of ball you're receiving.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 9:52am
Play people who are not your friends. Familiar opponents make serves look worse and returns and rallies better.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 6:18pm
Basic rule of thumb for serve length is serve long or short. By short, I mean the ball must bounce twice or more on the table. By long, I mean it must hit the last 6 inches of table. Anything else is easily attackable as the ball falls off the end of the table.
Primorac Carbon + P7
Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70427&title=feedback-cheondo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic