Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grip Changing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BinaryLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grip Changing?
    Posted: 12/22/2014 at 3:32pm
Does anyone else change their grips slightly between forehand and backhand? I've discovered that I unconsciously do it, and it's costing me points in quick rallies during switching between forehand/backhand. Should I get better at switching grips, or should I adopt a bh/fh oriented grip and "make it work" for the other stroke?
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 3:43pm
It depends on the degree of change, how close you play to the table and how much you practice. Grip change is a part of the sport but it needs to be practiced. Learning players should learn to do all strokes with a neutral grip before changing grips. I have actually gone back to trying to use a similar grip for most strokes, but I think my grip issues were a bit more serious than others (my preferred BH grip was much lower on the handle than my FH grip but my backhand is usually okay regardless, so I am trying to be shallower to help my forehand).

As a rule of thumb, grips on strokes close to the table should be similar, or you should at least be able to play your over the table strokes out of the worse grip if forced to. All this takes lots of practice, and the increased shot quality better be worth it.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/22/2014 at 3:45pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 3:48pm
Agree with NextLevel. I like to switch grips, but also like to play away from the table. But when I get stuck at the table - I try to go to a more neutral grip (atleast I'm trying to go more neutral) more often than not I'm stuck with a forehand grip. 

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 3:56pm
I remember watching Michael Maze video on Youtube, and he stressed that you should not change grip, even though he admit to do so Smile.  Basically, you shouldn't do it, but if you can get away with it, then it's ok too, as long as your style of play allows you to do so without getting caught.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 4:01pm
I understand that Timo Boll is notorious for changing grips. Is that level of proficiency achievable with practice? (Obviously not referring to his overall skill level, but comfortably changing grips in pressure situation.)

Edited by BinaryLoop - 12/22/2014 at 4:02pm
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 7:01am
Originally posted by BinaryLoop BinaryLoop wrote:

Does anyone else change their grips slightly between forehand and backhand? I've discovered that I unconsciously do it, and it's costing me points in quick rallies during switching between forehand/backhand. Should I get better at switching grips, or should I adopt a bh/fh oriented grip and "make it work" for the other stroke?

When you're being caught at the table in a quick bh/fh changeover, there is a point after which you don't change grip anymore. You hit your fh with a bh grip. There's just not enough time.

If you have the opportunity, do some multiball specifically for grip. Your feeder alternates bh and fh (not in extremis, this is not a footwork drill), at the fastest pace you can accurately chage grip and you keep it there. That's your threshold basically.

Edited by Lestat - 12/23/2014 at 4:41pm
malin87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote malin87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 7:08am
Originally posted by BinaryLoop BinaryLoop wrote:

It is sth common in table tennis...As i remember Persson use to change grips during the points from bh to fh...
Icecream AZX,T05,Spectol21
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 11:50am
It is common place.

However, being a close to the table penholder, I never liked getting caught on a TPB because I didn't have the correct grip in time on quick exchanges. So i adapted a universal (more backhand) grip full time and have never looked back.

Side note:
I didn't know it at the time but if you ever twiddle, your twiddle speed will be 10x times faster with the curled finger approach. Almost impossible to do it quickly IMO with extended fingers.
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 5:08pm
If you don't spend a relatively high proportion of your table time training then it is probably not worth it. However the overall advantages out weigh the disadvantages imo. A strong BH biased grip seems to be the standard at the highest level SH play. FH grip varies between FH biased, TB, MJ, DO, and neutral, Marcos Feitas, Kristian Karlsson, ZJK, FZD, ML... 

The two players I know who committed to grip switching took about 3-5 months before they got to a point where they were no longer consciously aware of doing it. One method used to help speed transition time was to use a junk paddle and having it in the hand as much as possible while practicing switches. Like while watching tv , walking or ghosting. Be aware that these players did a lot of multiball as well.

For the FH I would start with a dead neutral grip with ulnar deviation and no flexion or extension of the wrist. Control blade angle with pronation/supination of the forearm. Best example for this is WLQ imo.

WLQ counter hit.

Better quality and different camera angles + BH counter hit.

ML BH counter hit

ML FH/BH counter hit.

DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
lewis1253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lewis1253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 8:04pm
Take the time to committ to learning how to grip switch. For me, it has proved invaluable and has enabled me to improve very much. At first it was difficult, very difficult, but like VGriper said, give it 3-5 months for proficiency. It will take about a year though for it to really solidify. Even then, the grip is a very fluid thing, for me at least.

Edited by lewis1253 - 12/23/2014 at 8:05pm
Quality over quantity
lewis1253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lewis1253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 8:06pm
IF you decide not to grip switch however, stay in a BH biased grip. Your FH and BH will thank you for it.

Quality over quantity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 10:04pm
I'm currently in a stage of playing where I go to ping pong club every time with the goal of getting better, instead of merely autopiloting in friendlies. Thanks for the pointers!
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 10:35pm
Speaking of massive grip changing...

USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic