Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on winning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on winning
    Posted: 12/22/2014 at 4:53pm
After watching the end of the US Nationals 2014 Mens singles, it reminded me of a quote from Arnold Schwarzneggar in the movie talking about his main competitor Lou Ferrigno.

clip starts at 2:30 - above link is now working.

Edited by jrscatman - 12/22/2014 at 9:40pm
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 5:20pm
Not fully sure whether the relationship between Butler and Chodri is similar to that between Schwarzenegger and Ferrigno, but I agree with you on the whole that winning is not just about having the right strokes or strategy.  Emotion and attitude management is part of the game, I agree.  It's one of the reasons why I was impressed by Tahl's book.

Here is an interesting article/blog post from Expert Table Tennis on the subject.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 7:12pm
In the movie Arnold is convinced he will win. There is no doubt in his mind. He was convinced he can talk anyone his nemesis or his best friend into losing. Not a great example of sportsmanship, but as friend (takethat) told me you have to be an a**hole to be a champion.

Interesting blog post. I recall Richard Williams - kept Serena and Venus from competing in the USTA Tennis tournaments as juniors, both ended up as number players in the world. Not sure what Richard Williams was following but sure worked for his kids. 
Butterfly MPS
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 8:36pm
Arnald tried to loose at table tennis in ....some add forgot which?
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2014 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Arnald tried to loose at table tennis in ....some add forgot which?
He used to run the Arnold TT championships in Ohio - Killerspin used to partner with him. Not sure if it's still going on. It was in conjunction with some Bodybuilding competition.
Butterfly MPS
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2014 at 11:26pm
if you can get into someone's head (Walder's stare) that's great. Different sport, more Narcissism in body building, though quite a lot in TT,  you know,  guys who think the spectators really care. Another possibility, too much of that  bragging, might be hiding some fear of failure. If you can get it to work, good. Insert story here..Played a young American junior(no names) at a US Open, was beating him, he stopped the game, asked  for the referee. I did knot know why, the ref just nodded to me, stood there, messed me up. I lost.  I asked him later, (junior) what was that. He said the coach taught them that, it works sometimes. Mostly because I was a bit of an idiot.
sharkcard
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2015 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by takethat takethat wrote:

if you can get into someone's head (Walder's stare) that's great. Different sport, more Narcissism in body building, though quite a lot in TT,  you know,  guys who think the spectators really care. Another possibility, too much of that  bragging, might be hiding some fear of failure. If you can get it to work, good. Insert story here..Played a young American junior(no names) at a US Open, was beating him, he stopped the game, asked  for the referee. I did knot know why, the ref just nodded to me, stood there, messed me up. I lost.  I asked him later, (junior) what was that. He said the coach taught them that, it works sometimes. Mostly because I was a bit of an idiot.

Yeah, that's the problem with most of the winning strategy - "fair play" or "sportsmanship" are no longer important. 
Butterfly MPS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic