FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

PPH's Stiga Emerald VPS Chinese Penhold Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PPH's Stiga Emerald VPS Chinese Penhold Review
    Posted: 01/07/2015 at 6:27pm
STIGA EMERALD VPS V ~6.2mm 85grams Chinese Penhold Review

Looks like Stiga has upgraded the look & presentation for the new Emerald Series.  Using the VPS (Veneer Precision System) same as Infinity.  See my previous review.  For some of you that might not know what does VPS do?  Stiga is using burnt medial plies(Temperature Treated)  to enhance stability (increase stiffness).  I believe the reason behind this is to maintain the feel of wood, and give additional speed offer by composites to cope with the new balls.  Burnt wood is somewhat similar to Carbon, both offers stiffness & are lightweight to blades.  Nexy, Yinhe has also offered this type of technology.  However, they have a burnt core instead medial layers.  New outer veneers are being used: Green Ebenholz.  According to Stiga, the Green Ebenholz offers better dwell than original Ebenholz.  The Emerald has very attractive attributes, with metal like (it could be hard platics) logos at the handle & butt of the handle.  I can’t say the QC (quality control) is better than previous versions of the Hardwood Series where a lot (a lot) of people complained about the rough finishing, & wood splintering.  This one that I received (previous tested) has a big wood splinter about 6cm near the side of the blade, and some outer wood delaminations after one gluing.   From the knocking of the handle, I believe it’s not WRB or not like Ebenholz & Rosewood.  Pair this blade with Dark VlonS on FH, and EL-P on backhand.  Total weight at ~186grs.  Blade felt good, not overly head heavy.  Was able to produce massive spin when serving at home on the floor.  

First Impressions: Stiga does offer a distinctive feel from most of their blades, and this one is no different.  Wow, after playing with Hayabusa ZX recently, the Emerald also offers a noticeably big sweet spot!  More than any other wood blades (5/7/9plies) I’ve ever played with!  Sharper feeling than Infinity VPS.  It does have some vibration at the handle.  Medium stiffness, & surprisingly quite flexy for a hardwood blade!  Hayabusa is stiffer, and gives me options to play passive, aggressive, and away from table.  Emerald at the table is superb, it’s not bad when you step away.  Counterlooping is as good as Hayabusa.  The most notable impression I got from this blade was the top gears.  They are CRAZY, BLAZING fast!!!  All players were amazed how fast my FH drives were at the table.  It’s definitely one of the fastest out of everything I’ve played with.  

In-Action Sessions: After a few sessions, I am beginning to like this blade even more!  I am not comfortable with the extra vibration at the handle, which gives me problems at blocking & countering on occassions.  Emerald does offer slightly better hand feel than Hayabusa ZX.  I love the flicking game with Hayabusa, Emerald however is less forgiving.  For a hardwood blade, this blade can generate as much spin as any other softer outer woods (Limba, Koto, Ayous, & Hinoki).  Smashing is quite good as well!  Medium gear is a bit slower than ZX, but spin will help in gaining control when out of position.

Summary: I apologize for mainly comparing this blade with ZX because the Emerald just outperforms all of the hardwood series or any other 5 plies out there in the market (IMO).  It’s that good!  It offers more spin, same hand feel, have bigger sweet spot, and higher top gears than any other hardwood series.  Just popped into my head that this blade is somewhat similar to Infinity, the top gear for Infinity is also up there… I will have to go back & play with Infinity to compare.  Emerald has a noticeably sharper feedback than Infinity.  I highly recommend this blade if you have ~$130 to spend, get it from TT11!  It might drive you back to Stiga products (Blades at least) =S.  

Overall: For some that might be interested in comparison between Emerald VPS against other similar hardwood blades.  These are my findings:  

Speed(1st & Max Gear): Emerald > NR-50 ≥ Rosewood NCT 5 > Bloodwood 5 ≥ YEO Pro ≥ YEO jttaa ≥ Ebenholz V 

Spin Generation: Emerald > NR-50 ≥ Rosewood NCT 5 > Bloodwood 5 ≥ YEO Pro ≥ Ebenholz V > YEO jttaa

Medium Gear:  Emerald > NR-50 ≥ Rosewood NCT 5 > YEO Pro ≥ Bloodwood 5 > YEO jttaa > Ebenholz V

Feel: Emerald > Ebenholz V ≥ NR-50 ≥ Rosewood NCT 5 ≥ YEO jttaa > YEO Pro > Bloodwood 5 

Control(Placement, defense):  NR-50 > Emerald ≥ Rosewood NCT 5 > Ebenholz V ≥ Bloodwood 5 > YEO jttaa > YEO Pro

In conclusion I will rate Emerald VPS as follows:

85gr, ~6.2mm thick, 

Speed (medium-top Gears): (8.5-9.7) out of 10

Spin: 9.3 out of 10

Control: 8.6 out of 10

Hardness: Medium

Flex: Medium-High Flex

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 01/09/2015 at 12:41am
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
Sponsored Links

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2015 at 1:34am
Originally posted by PingPongHolic10 PingPongHolic10 wrote:

... the Emerald just outperforms all of the hardwood series or any other 5 plies out there in the market (IMO). 

Thumbs Up That`s also my opinion. Big smile
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2015 at 2:51pm
I'm surprised you found my emerald to be so fast in your list!  I found it slower than my regular YEO of the same weight when playing around with it at nationals...
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2015 at 12:48am
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

I'm surprised you found my emerald to be so fast in your list!  I found it slower than my regular YEO of the same weight when playing around with it at nationals...

The top gears are blazing fast close to the table.  Spin is also amazing with this blade when stepping away.  I never liked regular YEOs because of too much vibration & not enough spin=P, that's why I mostly recommend jttaa versions if someone really wants a YEO because they are stiffer=)  I would like to play with one that is my preferred weight{have not found one yet=( at 85-88grs}

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 01/09/2015 at 10:23am
My FS/FT

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2015 at 12:52am
I was going to give this blade a try, but hesitated it because I was afraid that this blade will not be able to produce the same kind of speed and control combination as my MJ Super ZLC.  I probably have to read more reviews to be sold on this blade..
Cncpen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cncpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2015 at 12:09pm
Hi liulin04 , may I know which handle you get for your MJ Super ZLC, because they don't have a cpen Version, thanks.

Edited by Cncpen - 01/10/2015 at 7:16pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2015 at 10:49pm
Damn, this is the first time my Darker VlonS bubbled up on me!!!Censored
Been playing really well with this blade too...
Took off the rubbers & got more delamination....
HEY STIGA, Thumbs Down,  
it's still a great blade tho...  My Infinity has wood splinters coming off when reglued...  Will put on a untuned Big Dipper once I get this thing fixed...

My FS/FT

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2015 at 12:34am
Schade......
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2015 at 1:53am
I have bought quite a few butterfly and stiga blades... why only stiga blades splint?.. Butterfly must have coated or using stronger glue?
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2015 at 2:30am
I'm scared to remove rubbers from my Infinity  Confused
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2015 at 3:54am
Reglued my infinity 4 times already (tried 6 different rubbers) and not a single splinter.
Guess is also depends on the glue you use. I use revolution 3 and had no issues removing the rubbers at all.

Tried 6 rubbers on the Emerald and also no issues at all.
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2015 at 7:33am
Used same glue with all of my other blades, ZERO splinters & delaminations.
My FS/FT

Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2015 at 8:54am
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

Reglued my infinity 4 times already (tried 6 different rubbers) and not a single splinter.
Guess is also depends on the glue you use. I use revolution 3 and had no issues removing the rubbers at all.

Tried 6 rubbers on the Emerald and also no issues at all.

Have you lacquered  Infinity ?
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2015 at 9:08am
I have problem with splinters on my Infinity, both sides 2 fingers width wide.
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2015 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

Have you lacquered  Infinity ?

No, I never use any kind of lacquere. 
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic