Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

benefits and uses of a high toss?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by joshuadn11 joshuadn11 wrote:

high toss is so hard man...i can never get the timing right and my serve's spin is just so much weaker compare to low toss T.T

I had this problem, it feels like I'm swinging hard but produce no spin.

It's because I was not confident with my swing timing!! So although I start the swing hard, I slow down the swing around contact to "wait" for the ball. YOU MAY NOT EVEN REALIZE you are doing this!!! it's very subconscious. Record a video and you'll see.

Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
Sponsored Links

Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 12:48pm
That's a very good point, you have to wait a little longer than you think before starting your swing at the ball!
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by joshuadn11 joshuadn11 wrote:

high toss is so hard man...i can never get the timing right and my serve's spin is just so much weaker compare to low toss T.T

i think moving the arm like mizutani or ma lin helps me time the serve!
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 1:07pm
If you have a toss of consistent height you can use the arm movement to time the contact precisely, it's very helpful.
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Argothman Argothman wrote:

If you have a toss of consistent height you can use the arm movement to time the contact precisely, it's very helpful.

It *feels* you are timing with arm movement, but truth is, you are always timing with your eye and brain, which in turn cause your arm to subtle linger, move slower or faster. having identical motion and identical toss SO consistent that you have exact same timing window is impossible.

If you can do that, you can do a blind high toss serve. Try it Tongue

Edited by DistantStar - 01/15/2015 at 5:27pm
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 10:36pm
That's a good point, but I meant that the arm movement was more to get a rough feel for the timing, of course the exact half-second of contact still varies. However, in terms of having a 2 second toss, the arm movements help you take up most of that time without getting antsy and starting contact too early. You're right about still having to contact at the right time, the arm movements just help make that easier!

Also, I think some Chinese players could likely do all their serves, low and high, blind with a decent success rate. :D

Edited by Argothman - 01/15/2015 at 10:37pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 11:01pm
I found when I practiced them for fun in the past that it helped to make your toss near vertical and to confirm that the sweep tracjectory of your racket was in line with the toss.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic