FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

viscaria comparison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: viscaria comparison
    Posted: 01/10/2015 at 11:20am
Is anyone else interested in the differences from viscaria old and new metal tag
Sponsored Links

Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2015 at 11:38am
Sure, I'm interested. I think perhaps an analysis of what makes the old tag viscaria better would help players find a suitable modern replacement, as its a relatively rare and expensive blade.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2015 at 11:53am
I heard that zhang jike alc is like viscaria but is it like the new or old one ? I guess the new one otherwise everyone would buy it.i have a viscaria new one I like it but I don't think the feel is amazing and I hope that the feel of the old viscaria is amazing but them again why would it be amazing isn't it the same composition
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2015 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

I heard that zhang jike alc is like viscaria but is it like the new or old one ? I guess the new one otherwise everyone would buy it.i have a viscaria new one I like it but I don't think the feel is amazing and I hope that the feel of the old viscaria is amazing but them again why would it be amazing isn't it the same composition

Interesting question. The two new new ZJK ALC I have are actually a bit like heavy older Viscarias.  Right now  the two Viscarias I play with are old ones (black tags)  and  I have about five new ones in a drawer along with the ZJKs.  (At some point I should probably sell the blades I'm not using).  I would rather play with the ZJKs than the new ones because I prefer handle and weight distribution. 

Of course I am talking about pretty subtle differences.  In the greater scheme of things, these are all good blades.  I would rather use the worst of these blades than anything else I have tried. 
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2015 at 12:01pm
So do you think the zjk alc comes closer to old or new viscaria?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2015 at 12:04pm
As to why I prefer the black tag, I think they are very slightly more flexible and softer and definitely just a touch slower, and yet they feel solid.  It is hard to describe, really.  The new very light ones barely feel like a Viscaria to me.

It could be that the extra soft feel is just a matter of the wood and glue aging, but I think it is some minor thing that has changed in the way they make them.  For sure, they never used to be as light as they are now.  That may be something they have done to try to make it fit heavier rubbers, but if so, it is not to my tastes, that is for sure.

At the end of the day a lot of this is a question of tastes, so just because I like something doesn't mean you will.  (Although everybody who has hit with my main blade says, wow, this is a nice blade).
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2015 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

So do you think the zjk alc comes closer to old or new viscaria?

Perhaps I should say in between the two?  I can say that given the choice between a new Viscaria and a new ZJK-ALC, I might be more likely* to find a ZJK-ALC that I really liked.  (By the way, for some reason I did not find any of the Blue Dragon versions to be very good).  The grain of salt you should take with this is that I have only played with two of the ZJK-ALCs (the ones I own) and I have had many more Viscarias.

Some people will say they are all the same and that this is all nonsense (that will be coming in 3, 2, 1.......). 

In response I can say that the only thing I have used for a decade is one Butterfly ALC blade or another, and I have had many of them, so I am pretty attuned to the differences.  Weight, handle shape, thickness, they all matter.

* there is variability in all of these blades, so partly it is a matter of luck, which one the vendor sends you.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2015 at 12:11pm
I have a new tag viscaria 90gramms but one day it was just way to fast might be because it was re glued with 2 tenergy 64 but i also noticed that i didn't have to put in that much efford.I was switching between my infinity vps v and viscaria and when my infinity broke I decided that I'd buy a new blade at the World Cup (luckily my infinity broke on Friday one day before World Cup weekend)when I was there there was a stiga shop where I could have bought the infinity but I thought if want to give viscaria another go so I went to the butterfly shop where I asked if there are any viscarias left and how much they weight one viscaria light was there one normal one which I saw welter was already bought but I saw another viscaria in all of the blade boxes so I asked for the weight which was 82 gramms and I thought ok let's go with this one and this is the blade I've been playing until now i got some edge hits on thee which damaged a little of the top ply (same with stiga but on stiga it didn't have edge hits it was just bad quality)I thought I'd buy an infinity again but when I noticed that the viscaria was damaged I felt I had to buy another viscaria which showed my that I should stick with it.So I keep playing with this viscaria which is completely fine I just have to watch out that I don't hit any edges.But I am considering to buy a new viscaria and I thought I should buy an old tag one so if the zjk alc comes close to it I'm going to buy it if not I might have to look for an old tag viscaria
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2015 at 12:17pm
I can't play with T64 on a Viscaria (I know, I've tried it).  Too fast for me.  T05 is the upper limit and works well.  T64 seems to me like it is better on all wood blades. 

It is important to use edge tape on Butterfly ALC blades, they are pretty soft and very easily damaged.

A few years ago, an 82 gram Viscaria didn't exist, that was the weight range of the Viscaria Light.  So clearly they have changed some things.
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2015 at 12:38pm
I've 2 each of old, pristine ST & S T Viscarias (pls don't pm me for any of the quartet) which I'm sure ppl are crazy about or longing for. I can't remember their exact weights (ranging from high 80s to very low 90s). I keep them in my wife's bank vault for safe-keeping & therefore I don't see them as often as I'd like to.
My new version FLs (88g & 90g), imho, play like dreams & the best imho as I could just play them & bring the best outta them, no reservation & no worry about "hurting" them at all.
I also have an 84g new model but would like to play it 1 day for comparison vs my old TBS An.

My main point is that Heavier (88g - 90g) Viscarias are, imho, better for me & lighter ones or/and old versions (ST, S T, FL & F L) don't necessarily mean good. Good for display or drooling on don't necessarily mean good for your games.

Edited by tiehwen - 01/10/2015 at 6:33pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2015 at 12:45pm
Tiehwen is right, having an old one is not necessarily a guarantee.  I once sold a black tag one for much less than it's worth because, well, it just wasn't that great.  I also think 88-90 g is ideal.

These things are made of wood, no two are alike.  I still think on average the old ones suit me more.
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 7:06am
I use an old black tag Viscaria and finally purchased a new silver tag for a back up. I have yet to play with the new one but by looking at the difference in plies I can see why the new ones may often be lighter.  The outer ply of the silver tag is noticably thinner on one side than the other, and both outer plies of the new are thinner than the old. The carbon arylate weave is also much thinner than in the black tag.  I love my old Viscaria but already have my doubts about the new.
Viscaria, H3 Neo, Coppa X1 Gold
7p2a-7t, TG2 Neo, Acuda S2
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 7:43am
Let us know when you tried it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic