Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone tried Yinhe/Galaxy Saturn Pro?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
spinnyserve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnyserve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone tried Yinhe/Galaxy Saturn Pro?
    Posted: 01/15/2015 at 6:50pm
Is this good for BH?     Thinking of  using Big Dipper for FH and Saturn Pro for BH, as they both have the same sponge.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2015 at 3:51am
I've been using Saturn Pro on BH for 2 weeks now. It's one of a whole heap of Chinese grippy rubbers I've got hold of recently.

It has a mild tack, medium-low throw, and a solid feel. Very linear, a bit slow compared to most rubbers out there these days. Although SP does have the Gods Crossbow sponge you get with the Big Dipper, SP isn't factory tuned and it seems to make a difference in terms of speed. It's a lot slower than Moon Speed, for example, which is another Yinhe rubber using the Gods Crossbow (but MS is tuned).

It was too slow on my current main blade, so I moved it over to the Adidas Hypertouch, which is faster and bouncier. It works really well for me in this combo.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
spinnyserve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnyserve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2015 at 7:00am
Thanks very much AndySmith!
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2015 at 10:03am
I ordered a little bit.  Hope to have in a week or two
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2015 at 10:04am
The reason I ordered it is because it's the only galaxy rubber I know of that isn't 68g per sheet.  Basically, to me it's galaxy's only viable bh rubber

Greco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2015 at 2:14pm
I read some things about this rubber, but just a few about the regular Saturn, what's the difference between Saturn and Saturn Pro?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2015 at 4:12pm
wow, I hope I didn't get a tacky one.  I think I ordered saturn pro but maybe I wanted saturn regular.  I got a sample that wasn't tacky.  Wonder if it was pro?

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2015 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

wow, I hope I didn't get a tacky one.  I think I ordered saturn pro but maybe I wanted saturn regular.  I got a sample that wasn't tacky.  Wonder if it was pro?

What colour was the sponge on your sample?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2015 at 10:26am
yellow

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2015 at 10:27am
they told me it was going to be softer sponge, not sticky.  Hopefully it will be the same thing.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2015 at 10:32am

they told me it was going to be softer sponge, not sticky.  Hopefully it will be the same thing.

Yellow is Saturn Pro, so you've got the right one.

When I said "slightly tacky", I really did mean slightly. It will lift a ball for a split second, but that's it. It's the kind of tack that will probably vanish after a few hours of use.

The sponge is more porous, softer, more flexible than the old one. Much nicer IMO. It's a good rubber, I'm sure you'll like it.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2015 at 10:35am
I liked the sample.  It wasn't tuned, was it?

PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2015 at 10:39am
Andy,
           Is the topsheet same between Saturn Pro vs Moon Speed?
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2015 at 10:44am

I liked the sample.  It wasn't tuned, was it?

No, mine wasn't tuned.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2015 at 11:00am
Originally posted by PingPongHolic10 PingPongHolic10 wrote:

Andy,
           Is the topsheet same between Saturn Pro vs Moon Speed?

No, definitely not. I think Saturn Pro is basically the old Saturn topsheet on an untuned Gods Crossbow sponge. Moon Speed's topsheet has smaller, shorter, wider spaced pips. Saturn Pro's topsheet is a deeper red and is more translucent than Moon Speed.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 10:52am
So.....

I have been really happy with the overall performance of Saturn Pro on the Hypertouch. SP is too slow for me on most of my blades, but the Hypertouch adds a bit of bounce to proceedings which livens the combo up.

I ordered a second sheet, but this one is almost completely non-tacky. It can barely lift a ball, while the first sheet I had can lift a ball for a good second or so, even after about 6 hours of use. Not sure if this will make a huge difference at the table. Will report back after Monday night's training session.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 11:52am
I'll have it in stock and be able to report on it monday.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2015 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

I ordered a second sheet, but this one is almost completely non-tacky.

Just had to reply to the good-looking gentleman above.

I had the first sheet (slight tack) and the second sheet (no tack) on the BHs of my two Hypertouch blades. The 2nd sheet was noticeably faster in the lower gears, as you'd expect with the lack of tack. I'd probably expect the 1st sheet to end up like this eventually after a fair bit of break-in, so it's nice in a way to get the 2nd sheet like this straight out of the package. Shame that I can't guarantee what I'd get if I ordered a 3rd one.

I'm going to try the 2nd sheet on mu original Pure Wood setup. I feel that it's fast enough to work for me there now.

Oh, and a weird little thing to note. When removing the rubber from a blade, the glue layer stays behind on the blade, rather than sticking to the sponge. Like the sponge is a little oily. Never had that before. The glue just peeled off in one layer from the blade.

Edited by AndySmith - 02/06/2015 at 4:15pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2015 at 5:53pm
I just checked a brand new sheet, in last week.  It's not sticky at all, but it definitely has a "waxy" type finish that some people call tacky. Not dull like the regular moon. Shiny...but no ugly or marked up.  The topsheet looks euro quality.  Weight is more than my sample was.  This one is 63 uncut.

Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2015 at 3:08am
I'm still waiting to try mine, due to its really strong reaction to Falco Long Temp. I generally don't boost my rubbers, but after reading that Saturn Pro is a little slow and because it didn't seem to be quite as soft as I like, I thought I would try a couple of layers of long temp, which on put on after a layer of glue. It domed massively and is only just starting to calm down enough for me to contemplate attaching it to a blade after two weeks
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2015 at 1:27pm
I've now had a couple of short sessions with Saturn Pro on my backhand. I tried it on a butterfly innerforce ALC, which is not my usual blade (I am waiting for a replacement for a faulty blade.) 
The sheet I had was slightly tacky, with a slightly translucent (red) top sheet. 
It may be the booster, but I didn't notice any lack of power. It is actually quite bouncy.
I would say it has a medium throw and is very grippy indeed. It reminds me a bit of the old 'national' Haifu Shark II factory tuned. It is a bit difficult to judge it fairly with an unfamiliar blade, but I could see it being quite a good backhand rubber.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2015 at 1:31pm
for me, it's a good bh rubber without tuning.  it's sticky and thick enough that I could use it for fh if I wanted.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2015 at 5:04pm
The tacky one I have is excellent on a faster blade for me, and also works on both wings. Has the added bonus of excellent spin on serves and rock-solid control in the short game.

The non-tacky one is a bit faster, livelier and works brilliantly on the BH of my Pure Wood. The tacky one is just too slow and holds the ball up too much on this blade.

I've ordered a 3rd sheet (in black this time - eaching is out of red sheets). The only thing I don't like is the idea of inconsistency between sheets, so will be interesting to see what this one ends up like.

The comparison to Shark is interesting. My sheets are untuned, and are definitely slower than all the Sharks I've used in the past. But the feel of the (non-tacky) rubber reminds me a lot of Shark Red Sponge, which was my all-time favourite BH rubber of all-time. I bet SP would get pretty close to that if tuned, but I like the performance as-is for now.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2015 at 8:58am
The black sheet arrived. It's like my 2nd sheet - hardly any tack to speak of, almost totally non-tacky. This makes me feel a lot happier about sticking with it for the foreseeable - don't want to get a tacky one when it comes time to replace a worn sheet.

I was slightly surprised to see that the black Saturn Pro still has the neon yellow sponge, so it's not like Big Dipper where the black sheet has a blue sponge. Doesn't bother me in the slightest anyway.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 11:53pm
would you be able to compare it to any esn rubbers?

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 5:43am
It's not a fast rubber, so hard to compare with any of the esn big boys. It's most similar to Xiom Musa I suppose.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic