Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ECL 2014/15. Marcos Freitas - Timo Boll

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ECL 2014/15. Marcos Freitas - Timo Boll
    Posted: 01/17/2015 at 6:37pm
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2015 at 6:50pm
Sad face for Boll. I think the new ball has had more of an impact on his game than it has for most players.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2015 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Sad face for Boll. I think the new ball has had more of an impact on his game than it has for most players.

I actually think it benefitted his game if it is the DHS ball - the opposite is likely true for the Nittaku Premium.  
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2015 at 12:59am
I whached both Timos matches live from laola1 and I got an impression that Timo had some kind of pain in some part of his body. I can´t really explain this, just an impression I got. He surely wasn´t looking like he normally does.
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2015 at 6:35am
I think he hs a disadvantage.His game relies on heavy topspin but with these balls his topspin is like every other pros with the old ball it countered his game
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2015 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

I think he hs a disadvantage.His game relies on heavy topspin but with these balls his topspin is like every other pros with the old ball it countered his game

Timo'S game is quite versatile and is not just based on one-sided reliance on heavy topspin. Just look how often he tries to stay close to the table and counterhit almost off-the-bounce, unlike his opponent. The problem is that Timo is not getting any younger, while Freitas is coming into his own, and keeps gradually improving. It is normal, older generation is challenged by the newer generation.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2015 at 7:47am
For sure, Timo's age counts against him. However, watching his recent matches makes me think some of his previous strengths are now weaknesses. The main one being his BH heavy topspin. Timo used to apply pressure with this shot, but now it's a half-length high ball waiting to be killed. Countering looks much easier with the new ball, and Timo can't compensate with speed around the court or increased physicality. Whereas Freitas has the type of game to take advantage of the new ball, IMO.

I'm not just basing this on the above match alone. He's had a bad run recentl .

NL - why do you think he would be better off with the DHS ball?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2015 at 9:43am

For sure, Timo's age counts against him. However, watching his recent matches makes me think some of his previous strengths are now weaknesses. The main one being his BH heavy topspin. Timo used to apply pressure with this shot, but now it's a half-length high ball waiting to be killed. Countering looks much easier with the new ball, and Timo can't compensate with speed around the court or increased physicality. Whereas Freitas has the type of game to take advantage of the new ball, IMO.

Look at the World Cup - his balls came so low even with his usual high arcing topspin.

I think this particular matchup has changed more because of other reasons, but if Timo is healthy, he still has his chances against anyone with the DHS ball.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2015 at 11:09am

What makes you think TB has had a bad run recently? He's maintained the same place in the world top 10 throughout the year, and has beaten Ovtcharov for the first time in the past 2 or 3 years. 
rui pedro81 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rui pedro81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2015 at 11:31am
its very simple actually, people believe what they want to believe. during the whole european team championships he only lost 1 game (against a superb marcos freitas), in bundesliga hes had 1 loss in 11 matches and in the recent world cup he took the world and olympic champion zhang jike to 7 sets! are all these indicators hes slowing down or having difficulty with the new ball? believe what you want i guess :) to me hes the same old timo boll...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2015 at 4:24pm
Bear in mind that I didn't say that he was losing more matches than usual.

For me, it's the way his games are going in terms of style - how other players are bossing him around in certain circumstances. Boll's loss to Calderano is the best example I can give. Boll's usual "safe" play ended up toast then, and I see similar issues in recent matches (wins or losses). He lost to Freitas and Wang Jian Jun last week in the ECL (so not sure where the 1 loss in 11 comes from - old info?). My sad face comes from how easy it seems for SOME opponents to hit though him these days, and my own opinion is that a big contributing factor to that is the combination of his style and the new ball. Not the ONLY factor, but a notable one. WJJ has a very one-dimensional game, for example, but it was enough.

It's early days, so let's see how he does in this calendar year (15/16) overall. I want to see how Boll does when playing regularly in ITTF open events. He hasn't done much of that recently. I'd also like to see how he does against the higher level counterhitting players. The first time he plays FZD will be very telling (the nature of the play, rather than the result).

I don't have anything against Boll by the way - I think he's just swell.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rui pedro81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2015 at 9:46pm
sorry but i cant seem to understand what your trying say Ermm let me just say im not even a timo boll fan, its just i dont agree with some things your´re saying. in my opinion even when he loses i dont seem him being bossed around at all, the losses to marcos and wang jiun were extremely balanced matches and hard to predict the result and the loss to calderano was just a bad day for boll and a great day for calderano, im sure he had bad days before the new ball when he was younger? also i believe boll met calderano again in german cup and beat him not sure though... btw the 11-1 record is in the german league not the champions league :)
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2015 at 11:23pm
Possibly T05 on his BH is slowing his LOLopen game down ; Perhaps he would join the EJ club and switch to T64 BH .
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 10:17am
So I watched the return leg of this fixture, and it was a totally different Boll. He attacked the ball early, played most shots flatter, and was much more positive in general. Brilliant performance, and I have to say that I have no idea what I'm talking about above. The first leg could have been anything - adjustment needed, injury, fatigue, bad day at the office, etc.
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 10:51am
It is understandable to speak about TB's level and the new ball etc...

But, never underestimated Freitas, he can fight on every point and force his opponent to make mistakes...he is a little bit like a "leech", in the positive meaning of course:)))
He is able to defeat all the European players.
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rui pedro81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 2:13pm

So I watched the return leg of this fixture, and it was a totally different Boll. He attacked the ball early, played most shots flatter, and was much more positive in general. Brilliant performance, and I have to say that I have no idea what I'm talking about above. The first leg could have been anything - adjustment needed, injury, fatigue, bad day at the office, etc.

I could say exactly excuses for marcos freitas in this match against boll... fatigue, injury etc etc the truth is marcos felt the pressure and played below his level unlike boll who just played better and deserved the win.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic