Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SOULSPIN ALC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOULSPIN ALC
    Posted: 01/22/2015 at 1:30pm
I've just received my custom ALC blade from SOULSPIN.

I do really like this company and their innovative approach. I strongly recommend to check out their page: http://www.soulspin.tt/en/home.html

The construction of my new blade is similar to the Butterfly ALC blades of TBS type, but when just bouncing the ball on the blade, the pitch of my SOULSPIN blade is a bit lower, and it overall feels a bit softer and also a tiny bit slower. I'm really happy with the appearance, craftsmanship and the feeling of the handle. I'm also really happy with the communication with SOULSPIN and all the possibilities that this awesome company offers.

Curious to find out how the blade plays at the table!

Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 1:36pm
Ooo . It's a beauty!
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Timo1978 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 2:33pm
Beauty! Please let us know if it Plays as nice as it Looks like   
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

I've just received my custom ALC blade from SOULSPIN.

Looks great! Love that company - both the Soulspin blades I've tried (Holz Sieben and the Nittaku Basaltec Inner) have been fantastic.

But I'm curious about the motivation for this purchase - BTY makes decent ALC blades at a lower cost!

I thought that you were very happy with your Viscaria & the MJ-SZLC :)
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

But I'm curious about the motivation for this purchase - BTY makes decent ALC blades at a lower cost!

Indeed, BTY makes (more than) decent ALC and (S)ZLC blades. However, I wanted to have something special and I really do like the idea behind soulspin - independently on whether I'll actually end up playing with the blade or not, the whole process (selecting handles etc.) was more than worth the money. And as a matter of fact, the most recent BTY ALC blades (e.g. ZJK ALC), not to mention the (S)ZLC blades, are more expensive than my custom SOULSPIN blade...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 3:23pm
Wow, I have been hoping they would make one of those for awhile, their blades are so good.  Is the ALC model now on their website (I can't find it)?

Their advantage is being what ever kind of handle shape or weight balance you could possibly want.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Wow, I have been hoping they would make one of those for awhile, their blades are so good.  Is the ALC model now on their website?

No, I've asked them to build this particular ALC blade for me because I really wanted to have a blade from SOULSPIN but preferred ALC/ZLC over Basalt. Given their knowledge and experience, they'll be able to build pretty much any blade one wants I would guess. However, my understanding is that they will not "copy" other brands as part of their roots series.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 6:54pm
Wow.  I should have asked them!

Did you get an asymmetric handle?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 7:49pm
If they could make an ALC JRE, that would be my dream blade.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

If they could make an ALC JRE, that would be my dream blade.

Their specialty is making blades with spruce (which is very similar to Hinoki) outers, so I'm sure they'd make a great ALC JRE if you ask them.
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 5:37am
Really cool :)

How long did you have to wait to receive it after your purchase?
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 8:51am

Did you get an asymmetric handle?

Yes, I have G2A on the FH and G4B on the BH.
This is actually written on the blade face, but the photo I took with my mobile doesn't really resolve it properly.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 8:59am
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

Really cool :)

How long did you have to wait to receive it after your purchase?

In my case it took quite some time from the moment I decided to actually get one to the moment it arrived at my place, due to a couple of reasons, mainly on my side (holidays, wanted to have test box first (amazing possibility), Christmas & new years break, ...).

If one order one of their roots blade, I think it takes them less than a week to build the blade. If one orders something where they first need to get the respective materials (ALC/ZLC,...), it depends on how quickly they are able to get the material (say plus approx. 2 weeks).
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 12:09pm
Have you played with it yet?  How is it?
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 12:44pm

Have you played with it yet?  How is it?

No, unfortunately I haven't played with it yet.

However, I've certainly spent at least 10 minutes bouncing the ball on the bare blade and comparing it with my Viscarias, TBSs and TB ALC Embarrassed

On top of that, I've spent at least another 10 minutes bouncing the ball on the balde with MX-P rubbers on, and doing serves on our dining table Embarrassed

Obviously I can't conclude too much from this, but what I can conclude is the following:

- The blade is softer than any BTY ALC blade that I have
- It is slower at low impact speed
- It feels a bit bouncier
- The contact is deeper, i.e. I have the impression that the 'vibrations' come from a deeper layer rather than from the blade surface
- There is more bite when serving

I hope to play with it on the weekend - at latest I'll test it in my regular Monday training.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 3:21pm
let me know.  I am not surprised so far.  Soulspin blades are not superfast in general. 

Sounds like an old Viscaria a bit.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 4:07pm
folks ought to give Basalt a try - there's got to be a reason why Soulspin went with that as the composite fiber in their blades. Their Basalt blades feel great.

I have a relatively inexpensive ZLC blade produced by them (the Donic Waldner World Champion '89). Haven't had the time to test it yet but on bounce tests, it is certainly softer & more powerful than the BTY ALC blades.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 4:10pm
I thought the Basalt was a great blade too.  I prefer just a touch faster.

Now though, I have a pair of perfectly matched black tag Viscarias, so I am not going to be trying new blades.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 4:13pm

I thought the Basalt was a great blade too.  I prefer just a touch faster.

Then you should try the Nittaku Basaltec Inner if you get a chance - exactly the same as the Soulspin Roots Basalt 6 except that it has a 0.2mm thicker Kiri core for more power.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic