Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What a Match: TTBL 2014/15 Steger vs Gionis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What a Match: TTBL 2014/15 Steger vs Gionis
    Posted: 01/23/2015 at 11:03pm
All I gotta say is that the Chinese Superleague may have the best players, but the German Bundesliga has the best rallies and matches.

Be sure not to look at the time while watching, want to simulate live viewing as much as possible ;)

Edit: The embedded youtube vid doesn't seem to work... here's the hard link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwYiNQ0m2NM
Sponsored Links

GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2015 at 12:48am
To embed videos, all you need is to put the part after the "v=" between [tube][/tube]

Edited by GMan4911 - 01/24/2015 at 12:50am
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2015 at 12:59am
Or remove the s in https... do note that the link you posted below is different from the link you used in the original embed attempt.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/24/2015 at 1:00am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
malin87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malin87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2015 at 1:10am
He send Steger to the looney house..

Icecream AZX,T05,Spectol21
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2015 at 1:30am
Originally posted by malin87 malin87 wrote:

He send Steger to the looney house..

Steger kinda lives there already.  With his talent level, he should have done more for Germany...
Cybershape Carbon
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2015 at 1:54am
that was such a sad thing to watch. The player who did everything good to watch in this match lost.

I am happy China is there to tear up choppers. I don't know how anyone can enjoy watching a player suffer vs a chopper. If you ever lifted a heavy chop with a loop in your life you know how hard it is. Game is slow and monotonous and full of errors, players get frustrated. I always avoid playing choppers in the club, even the ones lower than me. It is just so unpleasant. I have to sweat my ass of to beat somebody 100 points lower than me.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2015 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

that was such a sad thing to watch. The player who did everything good to watch in this match lost.

I am happy China is there to tear up choppers. I don't know how anyone can enjoy watching a player suffer vs a chopper. If you ever lifted a heavy chop with a loop in your life you know how hard it is. Game is slow and monotonous and full of errors, players get frustrated. I always avoid playing choppers in the club, even the ones lower than me. It is just so unpleasant. I have to sweat my ass of to beat somebody 100 points lower than me.

The return of Sid?  Seriously?

Chop is fun to play against - the problem is not the chop, it is how well the player uses his inverted side.  In this match, Gionis does not win because of his chop, he wins because of his ridiculous forehand, as do all choppers who have any success these days at the top level.
Cybershape Carbon
malin87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malin87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2015 at 10:08am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

The return of Sid?  Seriously?

Chop is fun to play against - the problem is not the chop, it is how well the player uses his inverted side.  In this match, Gionis does not win because of his chop, he wins because of his ridiculous forehand, as do all choppers who have any success these days at the top level.

I agree with Nextlevel.I was train and play with gionis for 6 years the hard part is the non stop changing between offence and defence.
Icecream AZX,T05,Spectol21
TenNine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenNine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

In this match, Gionis does not win because of his chop, he wins because of his ridiculous forehand, as do all choppers who have any success these days at the top level.
I don't agree with this. I'd say he wins precisely because of his chop. 

He puts pressure on his opponent with the chop, varying spin and placement. He's looking to draw mistakes and weak returns which consequently enables him to take the initiative and finish the point with his forehand. As do all top level choppers today. Their chop isn't a crutch they carry around, it's the cornerstone of their game, IMHO. The way I see it, to a modern defender the chop isn't a passive defensive stroke, it's actually an aggressive offensive shot, because it sets up the point-finishing kill shot.

But I agree that choppers are fun to play against. :)

Edited by TenNine - 01/25/2015 at 2:31pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 6:27pm
Okay, TenNine. I appreciate your perspective but I disagree it applies to this particular match. Thanks.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/25/2015 at 6:31pm
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic