Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Blades : Vega Tour , Pro and Europe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
spinnyserve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnyserve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Blades : Vega Tour , Pro and Europe
    Posted: 01/24/2015 at 3:26pm
Hi All,

Any experience in these 3?   And how do they compare to the Zxi series?    And is the quality comparable to Butterfly blades?

From the blade characteristics description, i can see how they compare in theory, but just want to see if anyone has real experience, especially the Vega Tour that I am considering.

here are the characteristics:

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links

ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2015 at 6:56pm
The Vega Euro is every bit comparable to the ZJK SZLC.
The same big sweet spot, a bit slower and a bit flexier than the   SZLC.
It plays like an excellent Viscaria with a big sweet spot.
I have one with FL handle, 86 grams, with T05 and T64 and these rubbers suit it well for a 2 wing attacking game.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnyserve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2015 at 7:08pm
That is what I heard that Vega Europe is designed based on(or copying) ZJK SZLC and Vega Pro is based on MJ SZLC. So I am thinking if they are similar enough, then the xiom blades are actually very good on prics. And now they have Xiom Tour, which seems to support a lot of playing strategies....so maybe that means it has a lot of gears in playing.....?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnyserve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2015 at 7:09pm
Do u think it will pair well with Chinese rubbers on FH?
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 5:47am
Vega Euro pairs well with Chinese rubbers.
I have used it with Spin art in the past.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 9:02am
I use dhs neo 3 on vega pro. Switched from viscaria. No complaints :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnyserve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 9:56am
that is promising from the comments so far! Thanks!!!

I am using a Viscaria as well, how does the Vega Pro compare with Viscaria?
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 10:12am
VP feels harder and more direct, with fewer vibrations (so there may be some truth about the larger sweetspot markerspeak). Marginally faster than Viscaria. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnyserve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 10:33am
You feel same spin, control?
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 12:04pm
Yup.
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 6:38pm
anyone know the best place to buy this in NA?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 6:50pm
Paddle Palace is one but I doubt it is best. TT11 has the best prices.

The blades themselves are great. You can't go wrong with any of them.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 3:54am
Has anyone actually got their hands on the Tour yet? Asking for a friend...
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 8:57am
Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

anyone know the best place to buy this in NA?

I bought my Vega Europe blade from www.tabletennisstore.us

One thing I'd like to make you guys aware of, is that the weight of these blades vary significantly.   When I was buying mine, the weight varied between 75 gr and 85 gr without the protective sheets (the blades have clear, protective sheets that weigh 7-8 gr).

Edited by VictorK - 01/26/2015 at 9:03am
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 9:12am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Amazingly, yes.  Just not in a rush to use it - not even sure what to make of it after I used it - I may stick some Tenergy 80 or Big Dipper on it and see how it plays.  But it will be a very cursory review.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/26/2015 at 9:13am
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 9:28am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Amazingly, yes.  Just not in a rush to use it - not even sure what to make of it after I used it - I may stick some Tenergy 80 or Big Dipper on it and see how it plays.  But it will be a very cursory review.

Ah, this is part of the "why oh why" EJ thread from earlier. I see.

Can you tell us something about the construction then? I'm wondering how thick the hinoki outer is, for example. I mean my friend is wondering these things. You've never met him. His name is Sandrew Mith.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 9:39am
Hinoki top ply is pretty thin - there might be another Hinoki ply underneath the carbon layer before the central ply.  But that might just be my eyes deceiving me.  I bought it in straight handle so I could see myself selling the other Vega blades and keeping that one.

Tell Sandrew Mith I said hi - I had similar questions to his so I just had to get the blade to complete the collection for my sanity.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 11:44am
What the world needs now is an edge-on picture of the Tour.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 1:19pm

What the world needs now is an edge-on picture of the Tour.
I don't have a good camera, but I might be able to do an edge on youtube take.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 1:30pm
I'll take anything at this point. Can't find anything out on the web right now. I'll accept poetry, yodelling, interpretive dance. Whatever means you want to use to convey the feelings you feel with your feeling organs about the Tour's construction.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 6:42pm
uploads/25196/hinoki.jpg

Try that Andy.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 6:46am
Many thanks NL! It's definitely a 5+2 then?
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 6:52am
Originally posted by spinnyserve spinnyserve wrote:

That is what I heard that Vega Europe is designed based on(or copying) ZJK SZLC and Vega Pro is based on MJ SZLC. So I am thinking if they are similar enough, then the xiom blades are actually very good on prics. And now they have Xiom Tour, which seems to support a lot of playing strategies....so maybe that means it has a lot of gears in playing.....?

So Xiom releases the vega pro like a year ahead of the MJ SZLC and yet it's Xiom doing the copying??? If only more companies could copy Butterfly in advance and oh-by-the-way save us $250/blade. 
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 6:59am

Many thanks NL! It's definitely a 5+2 then?
Definitely 5+2.  I agree it appears to be Hinoki, SZLC, Hinoki, Kiri.  I haven't glued it up yet so, sorry, no playing impressions.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnyserve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by rusttt rusttt wrote:

So Xiom releases the vega pro like a year ahead of the MJ SZLC and yet it's Xiom doing the copying??? If only more companies could copy Butterfly in advance and oh-by-the-way save us $250/blade. 

Thanks for correction! You are right!  I went back to read the comment from that blog post about these blades again and it only said they have similar composition but didn't mention about one being designed based on the other... i mixed it up.... sorry for the incorrect info.  :)

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 4:25pm
NextLevel, TTping85, or anyone else that has played with both the Europe and Pro:  Assuming Pro creates more spin than Europe, is it by a wide margin, noticeable , or negligible?  and is the Europe more  direct (sharper) than the Pro?

Edited by tom - 01/27/2015 at 5:05pm
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 4:32pm

The MJ-SZLC is not like the Vega Pro at all. It is a very different blade.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnyserve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Do you mind to elaborate a little on the major differences you observe?  Thanks!
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 11:00am

Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Do you mind to elaborate a little on the major differences you observe?  Thanks!

I used to own the XVP and now play with the MJ-SZLC. I've tried a lot of other blades (most recently a very good Stiga Intensity VPS V piece and also my best ALC blade yet (a ZJK-ALC) but keep coming back to the MJ-SZLC).

The 1st MJ-SZLC I bought, I sold after trying it out for 5-10 minutes (way too stiff & fast for me. The buyer, a 2500 level player / forum member found it too stiff as well). Then, I got a 2nd one what was only 86g (& 5.75mm thick) (you can't get a lighter MJ-SZLC though you could find a light XVP if that is your preference). This ticked the boxes. I found a good backup - slighly heavier but a bit thinner (89g, 5.58mm thick).

The XVP has a slightly larger blade circumference and is more head-heavy (narrower handle - I just went with the regular FL in both though I think that there's a Wide FL option available for the XVP). The MJ-SZLC is very well balanced.

Obviously, power is a big difference with the MJ-SZLC being much more powerful. This is true especially away from the table from where I'd classify the MJ-SZLC as OFF+ and the XVP as OFF. Close to the table, the MJ-SZLC isn't much of a rocket (I found my Koto-based TB-ZLF faster close to the table).

I've tried a few OFF+ blades earlier (particularly the Qabod, the TB-ZLC and the ZJK-ZLC). With those blades, one sometimes overshoots the table. However, the advantage of the MJ-SZLC over these (and the reason why one can play with this OFF+ blade) is that it's ball bite is excellent. The Vega Pro is easier to spin with. However, you get more spin with the MJ-SZLC (beating the MJ and Viscaria, IMHO). This makes it very easy to turn incoming speed into spin if one so wants.

The MJ-SZLC is slightly lower throw, lower dwell & is stiffer & more solid feeling than the Vega Pro. It takes slightly longer to familiarize oneself with - requiring a harder hit into the ball (otherwise, you may find ball go into the net - kind of surprising given it's power level). The stiffness takes a while getting used to. Once I got used to it, I surprisingly found the blade's control to be even better than that of a BTY ALC blade.

Lastly, rubber compatibility: I think that the MJ-SZLC works best with 45 deg and lower hardness rubbers where-as the XVP works best with 42.5 deg and higher harder rubbers.

However, from a value perspective, unless money is not a factor, the XVP is better value to most.

Hope this helps.

Edited by slevin - 01/28/2015 at 2:46pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinnyserve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 11:14am
slevin!  Very much appreciated for your detailed description!!!  Very useful information!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic